PA28-140 Split Nose Bowl STC

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
I'm thinking about it and would like to hear other owner's comments about it.

Pros:
Don't have to take the prop off anymore to remove the nose bowl.
Would be able to run the engine on the ground with the cowling off like a lot of other aircraft.

Cons:
How often do I take the nose bowl off? I can think of three times since I've owned the plane.
Cutting the nose bowl in two would invite cracks, wear and introduce exposed hardware
Have to buy the STC which isn't much and pay an IA for his signature on the 337

Worth it?

It would make access to the alternator to change/tighten the belt easier as well. I don’t think you can do it without taking off the prop—at least my A&P couldn’t.

One would still have to remove the prop to change the belt. It would be a struggle but tightening the alternator belt could be done with the nose bowl loose but still on.

The later Cherokee 140s had a different nose bowl design that was split. I don't know what the STC costs vs. what you could find the parts for to convert to the later configuration but it may be worth some investigation.

In my opinion, a split nose bowl is worth the effort to keep it in better condition while performing routine maintenance. I'm sure there are many nose bowls that have gotten damaged while the rest of the cowl is removed and the nose bowl is dangling around the crankshaft.

I owned a 1968 Cherokee 140 and it went through 3 alternators. At the time reman alternators were reusing the rotors. Eventually those old rotors started to fail. I went through a pile of them before I finally got a good one. After the second alternator failure I had the nose bowl split during the next annual. It worked well and I am convinced that is what led to the good alternator replacement. I only split the nose bowl one time after the installation. It did make it easier to work on though. My feeling is if your A&P is not on your home field it is worth the mod. If he is on the same field as you, maybe not.

Hope this helps.

The STC costs $150. The 337 is around $100 depending on who signs it. I replaced the old Chrysler alternator with a Plane Power as well as the old starter with a Sky-Tec. My plane was built in October of ‘69 and depending on who you talk to is a ‘69 or ‘70 model. Still thinking about it

Back