P47 down in the Hudson R. ?

I hate it every time I hear about old iron going west... I hope all involved are alive and safe.

n7Nat7q.png

From the Flying Friends group page on FB.
NY Post does enough research to find out it's a P-47 but doesn't realize it's a single seat aircraft.

The P-47 is my favorite WWII fighter plane, and flying examples are very rare. Damn, I hate to see this! I'm glad the pilot is OK.

I am glad to hear the pilot was rescued. Last I had read the dive team was dispatched because he was trapped. I assumed the plane was sinking...

My grandpa flies the Yankee Lady at that show. I'll see what he knows tomorrow.

That story has been updated and says the pilot didn't survive. They say the person who was taken to the hospital was possibly involved in the rescue attempt.

"Initially, a New Jersey State Police spokesman, said that the plane’s pilot suffered “minor, non-life-threatening injuries” and was being taken to a local hospital.
But the man hospitalized was a swimmer who may have been trying to aid in the rescue."

Wow, in the rush to get us information we don't need, they really screwed this one up. I noticed CNN is now saying they've found a body. That video showed him hitting hard. It would have been hard to survive.

Very sad. I visited the museum a few years back after landing at Republic and remember seeing that plane on display.

Hate hearing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is unbelievable, I saw them fly formation at the shore line earlier in the day. I have seen that plane many times on the ramp and inside of the museum hangar. The thing I can't get over is the nearly perfect ditching and that he was unable to release from the harness as witnessed by some people that observed the incident. Very tragic, may he rest in peace.... Godspeed

This is unbelievable, I saw them fly formation at the shore line earlier in the day. I have seen that plane many times on the ramp and inside of the museum hangar. The thing I can't get over is the nearly perfect ditching and that he was unable to release from the harness as witnessed by some people that observed the incident. Very tragic, may he rest in peace.... Godspeed

Oh, he drowned? That is not a good way to go. RIP to the pilot.

Always a worry of mine when flying near water. The ditching is usually survivable, but being unable to exit the plane and drowning is much too common. Of course, here on the west coast, even if you manage that, hope you're near land, because hypothermia is coming for you any time of year. Not sure how warm the Hudson is this time of year, but I'm guessing it's similarly cold.

Oh, he drowned? That is not a good way to go. RIP to the pilot.

Always a worry of mine when flying near water. The ditching is usually survivable, but being unable to exit the plane and drowning is much too common. Of course, here on the west coast, even if you manage that, hope you're near land, because hypothermia is coming for you any time of year. Not sure how warm the Hudson is this time of year, but I'm guessing it's similarly cold.
The water has got to be pretty cold. It's only started to warm up the past few weeks here.

by the reports on CNN it makes me wonder if any of the seatbelts jammed or otherwise. How frustrating to successfully land and survive, only to not be able to exit the aircraft.

Back