Ozone Generator?

Anybody used an ozone generator similar to this to remove smoke smell from a vehicle?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JAP7388/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

Came into possession of a really nasty-smelling pick-up.

Thanks!
Jim

I haven't "used" one per se, but I have spec'd a few out on drawings. The specific application was the removal of grease particulate from a kitchen hood exhaust stream. From my conversations with the manufacturer, its primary purpose was to remove the "grease" rather than the odor. He said it should do a good enough job, but was very hesitant to say that it would eliminate the odor. Having said that, I can't speak about the effectiveness, as I never came back to the project to sniff the exhaust louver at the end of the duct. Haven't heard any complaints though, so, there you go. But then again, I am talking about industrial, commercial-spec'd equipment, and not some box one buys on amazon.

Hope that helps a bit.

For reference, here's the link of the series of unit I spec'd... https://www.interzon.com/products/airmaidv/

Thanks 94V....that's some serious 'stuff' in your link!

Jim

Yes, I've used them quite a bit.
Watch a few you tube videos and you'll do fine. Run the vent during the treatment for circulation within HVAC. They work great

Of all the possible odors to eliminate, smoke smell is by far the most difficult and in all honesty, nearly impossible to fully get rid of. I always cringe when I see someone smoking in a new vehicle..

Yes, I've used them quite a bit.
Watch a few you tube videos and you'll do fine. Run the vent during the treatment for circulation within HVAC. They work great

Wouldn’t this be, “run the vent in recirculation mode”? Running the vent with outside air wouldn’t do anything.

Yes, thanks for clarifying

May also need to change the headliner assembly to eliminate the smell. I’ve driven cars that had the ozone treatment, but during the hot part of the summer you could still smell the smoker odor.

Thanks, guys! I'll try the conventional white vinegar/baking soda route first...then on to an ozone generator. Wonder if anyone makes a smell-o-meter to measure change in obnoxious odors? :)

Jim

Thanks, guys! I'll try the conventional white vinegar/baking soda route first...then on to an ozone generator. Wonder if anyone makes a smell-o-meter to measure change in obnoxious odors? :)

Jim
A sheet or two of Bounce under the seats might work too.

Take it to a detailer and have them go over it with a hot water extractor. Steam is the only way to kill the bacteria and thus get rid of the smell

Last edited:
Take it to a detailer and have them go over it with a hot water extractor. Steam is the only way to kill the bacteria and thus get rid of the smell

The smell from smoke has nothing to do with bacteria. It has to do with the thousands of chemicals that were released when the tobacco was burned.

Anybody used an ozone generator similar to this to remove smoke smell from a vehicle?

Thanks!
Jim

I have used a similar ozone generator to rid a newly purchased used car of smoke odor. It helped, but it was not enough by itself

I read forums for detailers, and found three things that were commonly recommended, which I did in a cycle to all soft interior surfaces including the headliner:
- cleaned with hot water (so called steam cleaning) using a rental machine, or alternatively nearly boiling water in a spray bottle, and a microfiber cloth
- then ozone generator for several hours,
- then Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner (this is intended for detailers, not consumers) with a microfiber cloth,
I repeated this cycle several times until the odor was acceptable.

A detailer can do it all for you.

Two issues with the ozone generator: don’t breathe it, and don’t use it on a car for dozens of hours as it will eventually eat up materials such as vinyl.

Thanks!
Jim

That's the same unit I bought. I got a 2018 Ram that someone tried to cover up cigarette smell with air freshener. The "ozone generator" helps. But, its not a one-shot miracle cure.

There's a couple of youtube videos out there about this topic. The bottom line is that you have to remove the old cabin air filter, spray something like Lysol through the cabin air intake with the fan on full and the cabin air system set to "recirculate", then put in a clean new cabin air filter. Next, you absolutely must clean the inside of all glass with isoprophyl alcohol. Go over it several times with alcohol, then buff with a clean microfiber cloth. Then, wipe down the head liner seats and dash with damp cloth, and steam clean the carpets. Last, use the ozone generator as directed.

This will make a difference. But, after awhile (especially warm weather) the smell will come back. Clean the glass again, wipe the headliner again and use the ozone generator again.

I've found that after about 6 months, the smell is now gone.

Ozone is a very strong oxidant. Use too much and you will bleach your upholstery.

Used one at my kids new apartment, much bigger unit. Ran 6 hours on timer with AC circulating for vents, then "recovery" for several hours before use. Worked like a charm ... that unit you have at Amazon is tiny - one I used was by QT and rated 40,000 qf ...

Ozone will attack any rubber you have as well. They found that out the hard way when they had ozone air cleaners in tire warehouses early on.

It's not magic either, while it will help with the smell, it won't be 100% effective.

I just went through this this week and last. I bought a generator that was an amazon deal of the day. I used it a few times in in 20 minute increments in my suv. I’d say this.. it has replaced the slightly moldy smell with a new smell, hard to describe but maybe a chemical / metallic smell. Not a very bad smell but certainly not a very pleasant smell either.. I’m considering returning it.

Good luck..

I got stuck in Fairbanks one winter after a job fell through, and ended up working at a car rental agency garage.

Gallons of, well, lots of Febreeze is what we used to get rid of the smoke smell when folks didn't adhere to the no smoking in the car rule.

Spoiler alert: The Febreeze smell can be over powering for a few days.

I just went through this this week and last. I bought a generator that was an amazon deal of the day. I used it a few times in in 20 minute increments in my suv. I’d say this.. it has replaced the slightly moldy smell with a new smell, hard to describe but maybe a chemical / metallic smell. Not a very bad smell but certainly not a very pleasant smell either.. I’m considering returning it.

Good luck..

that’s how it is supposed to work. Give it a few days

I haven’t used one in a car yet. I know it does a bang-up amazing job of removing all sorts of evil from houses. We bought it to remove smoke smell after an electrical fire in our basement... worked wonders. We’ve since used it in a couple of rental houses, the garage, and have lined it to a couple of friends to do the same sort of thing. 30 or 45 minutes will effectively de-stink an entire house.

Thanks for the info.. I'll give it some time although it's probably been a week already and the new smell is still pretty powerful.

that’s how it is supposed to work. Give it a few days

Thanks for the info.. I'll give it some time although it's probably been a week already and the new smell is still pretty powerful.
Fresh air and sunlight will help. Leave the car outside, windows down and sunroof (if it has one) open, as much as possible. A trip to a detail shop will probably help a lot. Just ask them not to use anything that's going to ADD stink to the car. The last car I bought used had been liberally wiped down with some sort of so-called "new car leather" interior dressing. Took me a couple of months to scrub all that crap out of there and get the car smelling like it should, which is to say not smelling at all.

I’ll try to air it out some more.. Thanks for the info..

Back