Owner Advisory: McCauley Prop Governor Gear Bearing Inspection

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
We just received SEL-61-01 in the mail today. Sounds like the inspection doesn't take too long and if I read it correctly, McCauley will cover a good part of the labor to remove, re-install, etc.

Has anyone else had this done? If so, were there any surprises or was the A&P able to fully charge it to McCauley?

We had our plane in for annual in November 2018 but it looks like this was issued right after we picked it up.

I saw this mentioned a few days ago on the 182 Facebook Group but didn't realize it covered all of these prop governors vs just a specific serial numbered range.

I won't be doing anything, no governor work done anywhere near those dates.

Be aware, if you request work and assume it will be covered under warranty, you set yourself up for expensive surprises, read bulletins carefully.

upload_2018-12-27_18-40-46.png

Thanks for including this but the paperwork we received does not have anything like what you included. Are there two different ones? Or is there more to the paperwork we received?

Good catch...we just received the "Owner Advisory" which I was referring to. The "Service Letter" you attached was not included in our envelope. This is the first time we've received one of these....is it too much to hope its the last!

Edit: And ours is a older 182, not referenced in the list in the Service Letter.

Also note, a whole lot of service bulletins REQUIRE the work to be performed at an OEM OWNED service center to qualify for warranty reimbursement, the OEM may grant exceptions if the bulletins are written that way.

Thanks for the extra info. Our notification appears to be from Textron so it looks different from the one you just posted. And it has a line that states "The A-20028 bearing is utilized in ALL McCauley governor models." The 'ALL' being all capitalized is by them, not me.

I received the Textron Owner Advisory as well. If I read this correctly, my aircraft is not affected. The Textron Owner Advisory references McCauley ASB273 which states only certain aircraft models, or governors overhauled using parts shipped from McCauley starting January 31, 2017.

The "ALL" in the Textron Owner Advisory and McCauley ASB273 simply implies the part number A-20028 bearing is used in all McCauley models. However, not all A-20028 part numbers are suspect, only the ones in the noted aircraft models, or with parts shipped from McCauley starting January 31, 2017.

On the Cessna Pilots Society forums someone said the physical letter and the digital one available for free on Cessna’s support website are different, the latter one having more information. Ive not verified but I’d advise you create your free account at support.cessna.com and search for the letter/service bulletin yourself. If you fill out your profile with model information you may receive the digital letters/bulletins ahead of your physical copies.

Just saw that Textron gave me my account info so I will be logging into to check soon. From everything I have read this effects a much smaller group of planes that my letter was indicating (whew!)

Just pulled my governor off and dragged it to a local (authorized McCauley) prop shop.

Bought it new in May 2017 and the serial number is not on the list of this “not affected”..

Kinda sucks to be grounded for a couple weeks, but at least McCauley is footing the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the extra info. Our notification appears to be from Textron so it looks different from the one you just posted. And it has a line that states "The A-20028 bearing is utilized in ALL McCauley governor models." The 'ALL' being all capitalized is by them, not me.
Of course with my luck, I sent both my McCauley propellers to East Coast Propeller for them to be Overhauled during the effected time period. I called them to see if they could look my paperwork up to see if I had the bad bearing. They looked into it and verified that they absolutely never use McCauley bearings. He told me the supplier they use but I forgot what it was.

Of course with my luck, I sent both my McCauley propellers to East Coast Propeller for them to be Overhauled during the effected time period. I called them to see if they could look my paperwork up to see if I had the bad bearing. They looked into it and verified that they absolutely never use McCauley bearings. He told me the supplier they use but I forgot what it was.
So I hope I understand right that you are NOT effected...nice!

Actually YES but we are talking about two different documents...come on Textron? The one you linked is a "SERVICE LETTER" and marked "MANDATORY" in red. It goes one to list the effected models and serial numbers.

The document I received (same date!) is a "OWNER ADVISORY" which just indicates 'ALL'. I can see why they sent it as maybe its more broad. And since my plane isn't on the specific list then that's probably why I didn't received the "SERVICE LETTER" that you linked. Also, the service letter you link

So it would appear there are the following documents regarding this issue:

McCauley: ASB273 ALERT SERVICE BULLETIN (September 27, 2018) Give the specific serial number range (not aircraft S/N, but rather prop governor S/N)
Textron: SEL-61-01 OWNER ADVISORY (November 16, 2018) Indicates "ALL" McCauley props
Textron: SEL-61-01 SERVICE LETTER (November 16, 2018) Indicated MANDATORY but also lists specific model and specific S/N's)

I had a McCauley governor overhaul in the stated time period. I had to remove/replace the unit and bring it to the overhaul shop on my dime and time. McCauley warranty paid for the inspection and a new gasket. I was only down a few days.

Did you mean you sent out the prop governors? This whole thread is about a non-conforming bearing that could have been installed in ANY McCauley prop governor, or said bearings shipped as spares from Jan 31, 2017 to Sep 27, 2018.

The guy you talked with is suspicious. Is there really aftermarket McCauley prop bearings? Are they actually approved? It sounds like BS to me.

Did you mean you sent out the prop governors? This whole thread is about a non-conforming bearing that could have been installed in ANY McCauley prop governor, or said bearings shipped as spares from Jan 31, 2017 to Sep 27, 2018.

The guy you talked with is suspicious. Is there really aftermarket McCauley prop bearings? Are they actually approved? It sounds like BS to me.
Well, I just got back from the hangar and meant to grab the log books to verify exactly what all was overhauled. My understanding was the propellers and governors were sent out for overhaul. I called East Coast Propeller and they said they send the governors all to a specific shop and gave me their number. I called this number and they connected me to the guy they said had the information. I told him my callsign/name and said that East Coast Prop said they sent the governor to you, can you look this up to see if I'm effected. He then pulled up some information and said that they don't use McCauley bearings that they used an approved aftermarket...thinking he said superior or something I recognized but I honestly can't remember. He said that I'm for sure not effected as my governor doesn't have their bearing and said he did have knowledge of this issue.

Given that I generally find most of your post to be knowledgable and you have suspicions, I will have my shop do whatever they have to do to verify this while McCauley is paying the bill and hopefully before it (if installed) starts coming apart. I go in for annual in about 6 weeks.

I got the Owner Advisory SEL-61-01 yesterday (NOT the Service Letter) and was confused about it as well. Glad I saw this here, as my Cardinal's governor hasn't been serviced after Jan 31, 2017 so I assume I'm not required to do anything.

I may be effected, but I'm not affected. ;)

Well, I just got back from the hangar and meant to grab the log books to verify exactly what all was overhauled. My understanding was the propellers and governors were sent out for overhaul. I called East Coast Propeller and they said they send the governors all to a specific shop and gave me their number. I called this number and they connected me to the guy they said had the information. I told him my callsign/name and said that East Coast Prop said they sent the governor to you, can you look this up to see if I'm effected. He then pulled up some information and said that they don't use McCauley bearings that they used an approved aftermarket...thinking he said superior or something I recognized but I honestly can't remember. He said that I'm for sure not effected as my governor doesn't have their bearing and said he did have knowledge of this issue.

Given that I generally find most of your post to be knowledgable and you have suspicions, I will have my shop do whatever they have to do to verify this while McCauley is paying the bill and hopefully before it (if installed) starts coming apart. I go in for annual in about 6 weeks.

I guess its possible you don't have McCauley governors.

Isn't @Radar Contact saying he has McCauley governors but the repair shop used bearings other than those mentioned in the service bulletin thus making his case N/A?
That is exactly what he told me over the phone. I'm going to call and get a copy of the work order tomorrow and verify exactly what part number bearing they used and discuss it with my mechanic. My prop logs don't have the specifics in it.

Back