Over the top for left downwind

The high incident rate of collisions on final proves my point--converging on the very same geographic location at or near the same altitude is risky business.

dtuuri
On the contrary, the total lack of incidents caused by crossing over midfield reinforces what common sense tells us: that minimizing the maneuvering time and not descending into TPA near the airport are things that lessen the risk of collisions. OTOH i've had plenty of times i had to move to avoid people doing odd turns just outside the dowwind.

On the contrary, the total lack of incidents caused by crossing over midfield reinforces what common sense tells us: that minimizing the maneuvering time and not descending into TPA near the airport are things that lessen the risk of collisions.
Running red lights ought to be a safe practice by that "common sense". Why spend time in an organized flow through an intersection? :rolleyes: Although, I agree about descents into TPA and weird maneuvering near the downwind.

dtuuri

Last edited:
Running red lights ought to be a safe practice by that "common sense". Why spend time in an organized flow through an intersection? :rolleyes: Although I agree about descents into TPA and weird maneuvering near the downwind.

dtuuri
again, there are lots of examples of accidents caused by running red lights. There are lots of accidents caused by maneuvering in the vicinoty of the traffic pattern. Please produce one example in the last half century of a collision involving an aircraft crossing mid-field at TPA.

Just a question, if crossing mid-field is so unsafe how come every time I cross the DFW class B East to West ATC wants me right over the top of DFW mid-field?

Just a question, if crossing mid-field is so unsafe how come every time I cross the DFW class B East to West ATC wants me right over the top of DFW mid-field?
At pattern altitude? In any event, if ATC is controlling the situation, it's a completely different story.

again, there are lots of examples of accidents caused by running red lights. There are lots of accidents caused by maneuvering in the vicinoty of the traffic pattern. Please produce one example in the last half century of a collision involving an aircraft crossing mid-field at TPA.
It doesn't matter. There have been plenty of close calls, which is enough to convince me. Most pilots don't do it, yet at least, because it's obviously unsafe. So the vocal impudent minority that does, ought not point to their small numbers as evidence of employment of a safe procedure.

dtuuri

I've pretty much concluded that people will enter/leave the pattern any damned way they choose no matter regulations or conventions. :mad2:

Keep your eyeballs on all of them and keep your distance until you understand where they are going. :dunno:

At pattern altitude? In any event, if ATC is controlling the situation, it's a completely different story.

No, but <3,000 AGL with airliners rate of climb pretty much the same. My point was that they don't want you anywhere near the ends of the runways. Since this is a visual maneuver per their request; I'm not sure I see much difference vs. a mid-field other than ATC telling me to do it.

It doesn't matter. There have been plenty of close calls, which is enough to convince me. Most pilots don't do it, yet at least, because it's obviously unsafe. So the vocal impudent minority that does, ought not point to their small numbers as evidence of employment of a safe procedure.

dtuuri

I've had more close close calls from people making circles in the middle of the downwind leg so they can "enter at a 45".

dtuuri
I've observed the opposite, most pilots do do it because it is obviously the safest way to get from here to there. There is a vocal minority who insist on getting to the other side of the field to turn around and enter on a 45 from the outside. I almost never see anyone do that in the real world but at least on web boards those people seem to exist.

It would seem to me that they are then doing it wrong, because I don't make my turn until I'm well clear of the pattern. 2-3 miles out should put your position well clear of the downwind unless someone is doing enormous patterns.

I've pretty much concluded that people will enter/leave the pattern any damned way they choose no matter regulations or conventions. :mad2:

Keep your eyeballs on all of them and keep your distance until you understand where they are going. :dunno:
You can thank the so-called Air Safety Foundation for that. Without benefit of any scientific study they published recommended procedures at uncontrolled airports and many pilots took it to heart. When I first saw those, about the same time Bruce Landsberg showed up there, I thought it was a misprint and called the editor to have it corrected. I had been flying for decades at the time and often at busy, small uncontrolled airports where such shenanigans would be a serious safety issue and likely get the rengade thrown off the airport. Since then, the concept has spread like cancer. I aim to cure it. :)

dtuuri

It would seem to me that they are then doing it wrong, because I don't make my turn until I'm well clear of the pattern. 2-3 miles out should put your position well clear of the downwind unless someone is doing enormous patterns.

There are only 1.3 miles between 04/22 and the Canadian border at ONZ. Now what are you going to do?

Approach from the south and make right traffic for runway 4:p

In all seriousness that's a bit of an anomaly for sure. I just do what I'm taught. If have the weather from AWOS I won't always cross over midfield, if the downwind is on the side I'm approaching from, I just look for traffic and enter the downwind at TPA. If its on the other side or I need to see the winds I cross over above TPA and turn around to enter the downwind but only after well clear of the pattern. Again just following what my CFI has taught me. I realize there are different opinions but as a student, I try not to make up my own procedures:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHW
On the contrary, the total lack of incidents caused by crossing over midfield reinforces what common sense tells us: that minimizing the maneuvering time and not descending into TPA near the airport are things that lessen the risk of collisions.

Running red lights ought to be a safe practice by that "common sense". Why spend time in an organized flow through an intersection? :rolleyes: Although, I agree about descents into TPA and weird maneuvering near the downwind.

dtuuri

The comments by dtuuri are a fine example of how to never win a debate.:rolleyes2:

Lots of good comments here. For those who say flying over the field and entering midfield downwind represents a safety hazard I'm sorry I just don't see it that way.

Make the call, check the sock going over , continuously scan the downwind and join up. Now if someone is on the downwind I will adjust and enter behind them.

As far as exposing your underside on the turn aren't you exposing it any time you turn into the pattern no matter which way you join?

Lots of good comments here. For those who say flying over the field and entering midfield downwind represents a safety hazard I'm sorry I just don't see it that way.

Make the call, check the sock going over , continuously scan the downwind and join up. Now if someone is on the downwind I will adjust and enter behind them.
If someone is on downwind, it's a cross-cockpit, view-limited field of vision of a small cross-sectional area of an airplane approaching at relatively high closure rate while your scanning time is split between "checking the sock" and looking for airplanes also entering nearly head-on. You probably won't see anything in time. Have you seen the Morris study?

dtuuri

If someone is on downwind, it's a cross-cockpit, view-limited field of vision of a small cross-sectional area of an airplane approaching at relatively high closure rate while your scanning time is split between "checking the sock" and looking for airplanes also entering nearly head-on. You probably won't see anything in time. Have you seen the Morris study?

dtuuri

I have not seen or heard of the Morris study. Do you have a link?

No, but <3,000 AGL with airliners rate of climb pretty much the same. My point was that they don't want you anywhere near the ends of the runways.
Bet they don't want you below about 2500 AGL, either.
Since this is a visual maneuver per their request; I'm not sure I see much difference vs. a mid-field other than ATC telling me to do it.
I do -- ATC is making sure there are no conflicts with everybody doing different things. Ain't quite the same at Boondock Muni.

Bet they don't want you below about 2500 AGL, either.
I do -- ATC is making sure there are no conflicts with everybody doing different things. Ain't quite the same at Boondock Muni.

At KOAK, routine transitions are done over the 29 numbers at or below 2000, with airliners landing below. They also don't want spam cans in the Class C shelf, so sometimes the crossing is called at 1400. Admittedly, that airport is weird in several respects, not the least of which is a class B floor at 2100 over most of the field (including 29). But that spot would seem to be vulnerable to missed approaches on 29.

At KSJC, they like midfield transitions below 2000. TPA for turbines and multis is 1500. Not clear why, there; I suspect the LOA limits Tower's control to 2000.

But both of those are Class C airports.

It's weird looking for 737s against the cityscape. They can be a lot harder to spot than one might think.

I have not seen or heard of the Morris study. Do you have a link?

Here's a post I made once before with the link:
Here's a scientific study on the visual limitations of the 'see and avoid' concept. It wraps up with (my em):
Finally, the see-and-avoid concept misleads pilots and controllers by encouraging overconfidence in visual scanning while neglecting its physical and behavioral limitations and mitigation strategies. While visual scanning is necessary to prevent midair collisions, especially of aircraft flying slowly in close proximity and not yet on collision courses, it is not sufficient. Potential mitigation strategies include: 1) pilot and ATC training on physical and behavioral limitations of the see-and-avoid concept; 2) ATC safety alerts and recommendations in all conflict situations; 3) reliable altitude-encoding transponders activated at all times in all aircraft; 4) standard traffic pattern entry, exit, and circuit procedures at all airports; 5) standard communications, and position announcements in the traffic pattern, at all airports; 6) standard procedures for announcing positions and headings in arrival and departure areas, corridors, scenic areas, and other high-density areas; and 7) affordable and reliable collision avoidance technologies in all general aviation aircraft, as the NTSB recommended in 1987.​
View attachment 26801.

dtuuri

I think it's that feeling of being "trapped" that really keeps me away from the mid-field crosswind/downwind entry, regardless of its popularity. If you enter on a regular crosswind beyond the departure end, you can always turn away and out of the pattern if there is a conflict.

This.

If one is entering the pattern from a midfield crosswind at an airport where there are 3 other aircraft on downwind and not enough spacing for you to squeak in, what's the out? You've just put yourself in a situation where there are no guaranteed safe options.

When approaching the pattern from the opposite side in most cases I enter the upwind.

Well, I suppose you could circle, but I really wouldn't like the visibility that gives me, especially in a Cessna. Better would be to aim closer to the departure end to enter downwind behind the conflicting traffic. Still, that isn't very good.

If one is entering the pattern from a midfield crosswind at an airport where there are 3 other aircraft on downwind and not enough spacing for you to squeak in, what's the out?

If it is a left pattern, you make a 90 degree turn to the right, putting you on the upwind leg. A 135 degree turn takes you even farther and faster away from conflict.

This is no different than if you are approaching on a 45 entry and need to turn away - a 90 degree turn to the right takes you away in a direction least likely to have traffic. A 135 degree turn takes you even farther and faster away from conflict.

The number and quality (in terms of safety) of exits at different points in an approach to the pattern seem to me to be the same for both kinds of patterns. If there were a strong winner in either case then there would presumably be a consistent recommendation among countries of the world. Since there is no such consistency, it appears no strong evidence points either way.

The only thing the regulations say is that, absent specific instructions for an airfield, all turns be to the left. If one wanted to be anal, the "standard" 45 entry is in violation of that regulation because an aircraft has to make a 45 degree turn to the right into the downwind.

The AIM tells us ... "Preparatory to landing at an airport without a control tower ... When approaching for landing, ALL turns MUST be made to the LEFT unless a traffic pattern indicator indicates that turns should be made to the right".

A 45 degree entry to either pattern requires a turn to be made in direct conflict with the above, no?

I believe that recommendation is for aircraft in the pattern, not aircraft entering it... Is it not?

For a wide variety of reasons, the one place you don't want to be is inside the traffic pattern at TPA. Whatever leg of the pattern you join, join it from the outside, not the inside. Trying to join the downwind from the inside means you'll be belly up to both traffic already on the downwind from closed traffic and traffic joining from the 45. If you find a conflict in this situation, you have nowhere else to go. If you want to overfly the field to look at the wind sock or something, please do that at least 500 above the highest TPA, then continue across until clear of the pattern (2-3 miles out) before descending turning back to join the 45 leg at TPA. If you don't want to do that, join the crosswind leg at the normal point about 3/4-1 mile beyond the departure end of the runway at TPA. This will give you a good view of anyone on the upwind or climbing out so you can maneuver to avoid them during your entry, and there will be nobody to whom you will be belly-up.
This! If you are in a complex hp, it also gives you a longer downwind to get all your ducks in a row without being in a rush.

If it is a left pattern, you make a 90 degree turn to the right, putting you on the upwind leg. A 135 degree turn takes you even farther and faster away from conflict.

Easy enough if you've not yet crossed over the airport. But what if you're over the top? That's the scenario I'm discussing. There's a point in time for that entry in which no good options to exit exist.

The number and quality (in terms of safety) of exits at different points in an approach to the pattern seem to me to be the same for both kinds of patterns. If there were a strong winner in either case then there would presumably be a consistent recommendation among countries of the world. Since there is no such consistency, it appears no strong evidence points either way.

I've been cut off in busy patterns enough times by stupid pilots performing stupid pattern entries to know that just because a lot of people do it does not make it right :D

The only thing the regulations say is that, absent specific instructions for an airfield, all turns be to the left. If one wanted to be anal, the "standard" 45 entry is in violation of that regulation because an aircraft has to make a 45 degree turn to the right into the downwind.

I would argue that the regs (although not specifically stated, they state "when approaching for landing, all turns must be made to the left, unless a TPI indicates right turns") are discussing turns while established in the pattern. The 45° is an entry, not an established leg of the pattern.

I believe that recommendation is for aircraft in the pattern, not aircraft entering it... Is it not?

The word "pattern" (or circuit) does not appear. It uses the phrase "When approaching to land...."

So you can interpret it your way and ill interpret it mine.

Common sense says they're discussing turns in the pattern.

When you turn off the 45 you are already in the pattern.

Easy enough if you've not yet crossed over the airport. But what if you're over the top? That's the scenario I'm discussing. There's a point in time for that entry in which no good options to exit exist.

You are under no obligation to use the pattern entry being discussed if it bothers you.

I've been cut off in busy patterns enough times by stupid pilots performing stupid pattern entries to know that just because a lot of people do it does not make it right :D

If you think the pattern being discussed is stupid and dangerous and can show that, you should take your evidence to the FAA and petition them to rewrite the regulations to prohibit it.

I would argue that the regs (although not specifically stated, they state "when approaching for landing, all turns must be made to the left, unless a TPI indicates right turns") are discussing turns while established in the pattern. The 45° is an entry, not an established leg of the pattern.

Since the regs don't recognize the concept of pattern, it doesn't matter whether the 45 is a part of it (though of course it is, since how else could we be arguing over entries to the downwind.) All it recognizes is that one be approaching for landing. If you collide with someone on the 45 do you think that the NTSB or the FAA would say you were in cruise flight or on approach to landing when the collision occurred? Which would you say?

So you can interpret it your way and ill interpret it mine.

Common sense says they're discussing turns in the pattern.

When you turn off the 45 you are already in the pattern.

So you both think the NTSB, the FAA, and everyone with common sense would classify a collision on the 45 as having occurred during cruise and not on approach to landing?

It's not a recommendation, it's a regulation (14 CFR 91.126(b)), but yes, it's for in the pattern, not entering the pattern.

Sigh. Pattern is not used so you are being inventive in your claim.

Sigh. Pattern is not used so you are being inventive in your claim.
Guess the FAA is, too, as well as the NTSB. Plenty of case law on point, starting with Administrator v. Boardman and the various cases cited therein. You are quite without legal backing on this issue, but there is much to support the position against which you are arguing. Do the legal research and come back when you find something to support your argument.

You are under no obligation to use the pattern entry being discussed if it bothers you.

Nice dodge of the question presented.

If you think the pattern being discussed is stupid and dangerous and can show that, you should take your evidence to the FAA and petition them to rewrite the regulations to prohibit it.

The FAA has already stated their recommended entry to the downwind (both in the AIM and AC 90-66) is the 45. No need to petition them otherwise.

Since the regs don't recognize the concept of pattern, it doesn't matter whether the 45 is a part of it (though of course it is, since how else could we be arguing over entries to the downwind.) All it recognizes is that one be approaching for landing. If you collide with someone on the 45 do you think that the NTSB or the FAA would say you were in cruise flight or on approach to landing when the collision occurred? Which would you say?

Funny you should mention that. Having written a multitude of accident reports while at the NTSB, I would certainly say they were in the approach to landing phase. However, in most (if not all - trying to think of a reason) cases the pilots' use of the standard/recommended 45° would not be a factor. If that same pilot bombed into the pattern on a midfield crosswind and collided with someone on the 45 or downwind, I'd bet my job that a contributing factor would be the pilots failure to follow a recommended traffic pattern entry.

Guess the FAA is, too, as well as the NTSB. Plenty of case law on point, starting with Administrator v. Boardman and the various cases cited therein. You are quite without legal backing on this issue, but there is much to support the position against which you are arguing. Do the legal research and come back when you find something to support your argument.

You are among those making the claim that a right turn onto the downwind is not part of an approach to landing and therefore not subject to regulation. Why don't you just quote the portion from Administrator v. Boardman, or any other of the various alleged cases, that supports that claim?

Back