Outer Banks, NC Flying

WeekendWarrior

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyKC
We've been making yearly trips out to the NC Outer Banks for about as long as I can remember as a kid. Even before I started flying myself, I thought flying into (or even flying from) the OBX airports (W95, HSE, MQI, FFA) would be the coolest and most beautiful thing ever. I've also never seen the Wright Brothers/Kitty Hawk memorial - and what better way to do so than flying in.

I live in Kansas right now and only rent - so flying there for the week we spend out there is cost-prohibitive - but I have thought of seeing if the tour operators/flight schools in the area would let me rent a plane for a few hours with a local CFI to see the sights from the air. I'd approach it as a "lesson" more so than a sightseeing flight since I hold PPL/IFR - it's just been a lifetime dream of mine to fly out there and land at the island airports. Cost is relatively no object, and I wouldn't be trying to get checked out to solo rent. Just a flight or two to see a dream of mine come true.

Anyone actually done what I'm thinking of doing? If so, how? Did you fly in? Are there any operators who will allow someone with a certificate to book a few hours with a CFI just to see the sights?

The Part 91 tour operators, maybe. Flight schools, definitely. Without checking my logbook I've lost count of the number of places I've visited on vacation and arranged a dual flight. On the flip side, I did it many times as a CFI when I was in Colorado.

I'm in NC but in the Raleigh area. A bit far for your purposes. If I were you, I'd check with the folks at MQI. The FBO is helpful and might know your best bet.

Absolutely. Call and schedule it. Explain what you want to do. Bring your passport, license and logbook.

Great idea and generally well received by the flight school.

If you are going to be flying with an instructor, you might also consider knocking out your biannual flight review in the process. It might not be time yet for your review, but you can do a reset at any time and kill two birds with one stone with very little extra effort.

If you are going to be flying with an instructor, you might also consider knocking out your biannual flight review in the process. It might not be time yet for your review, but you can do a reset at any time and kill two birds with one stone with very little extra effort.

In general I agree, but with the OP's use of the word "we", I assume there is a spouse and/or kids involved. Which may make the idea of doing steep turns and stalls and emergency landings enroute to FFA somewhat less desirable. Or maybe more desirable depending on the spouse and kids, but my experience is generally the former.

To the OP - your idea shouldn't be very hard to implement - just call up some local flight schools and ask. They probably do this sort of thing somewhat regularly. However, please realize that if you're going to spend a few hours walking around Kitty Hawk, you should expect to pay for the CFI's time while you're doing so. The CFI may actually be able/willing to serve as a guide on the ground, depending on their experience (I used to live in SE Virginia and went to Kitty Hawk enough times that I definitely could have). But even if they're just going to sit in the information center at FFA while you walk around, they should still be paid for their time.

Last edited:
Back