Out of balance...... Say whhhuuut?

I don't care who you are, that's ****ty deal.

What would really **** me off is if you spent all the time drilling and fitting a mod like that and then you have to repair the airplane to uninstall it because it wouldn't work.

I have some serious issues with the STC and the actual impossible legality of installing on PA32 stabilators. The gap seal ads 8" of aft CG and impossible to add enough weight to bring it into balance. We would need just under 1 lb of weight added to the counter balance in addition to max plates. That's insane for an STCed product.

With the seals and paint, they are .45 lbs. the raw seals are .4". That's just way too much weight added too far back on the control surface. Even if your stabilator shipped with no plates, adding max plates would bring you in close to maximum aft tolerance. Piper shipped a large swath with at least 3 plates or more. My had 4 from the factory and was 36.8", just barely legal with no speed mods installed. With the gap seal, we were at 45" aft.

I very seriously question any PA32 stabilator gap seals current installed. The STC requires a rebalance, but I highly doubt most are actually done. It's way too much work(read $$$) and blown off.

Bottom line, there is no possible way this peticular mod is legal or safe based on our findings. It cost me well over $1k to figure this out and I'm fucing ****ed.

Did you have the STC installation instructions or contact the STC holder by chance? I'm just wondering if there is different balance limits in it, or what they had to say.

I don't care who you are, that's ****ty deal.

What would really **** me off is if you spent all the time drilling and fitting a mod like that and then you have to repair the airplane to uninstall it because it wouldn't work.

Take a guess what we did.....:mad:

Did you have the STC installation instructions or contact the STC holder by chance? I'm just wondering if there is different balance limits in it, or what they had to say.

Yes, we contacted everyone who has had a part in this except the rivet manufacture. This was installed by the book, because I demanded it from my MX. I don't take short cuts if its hauling my fam.

STC holder going to refund anything?

Haven't gotten to that point. They are somewhat aware there is an issue, but we have not crossed that bridge yet.

That's just crap Tom. Why in the hell would he comment about it again? He did everything right, everything, except maybe posting it on here. And honestly, I would think you would be old enough not to stoop to grade school cut-downs (prep-H), maybe I give you too much credit.
Your response makes it even funnier. :)

Haven't gotten to that point. They are somewhat aware there is an issue, but we have not crossed that bridge yet.

Hopefully they do something for you.

STCs are a tough deal, I pretty much audit and conform them 10-20 hours a week and its very rare that one STC will fit every serial number airplane of the make & model they were approved for. The STC holder typically can't know every variable of the OEM's production run.

It even happens when OEMs issue service bulletins (SB) on their OWN products, especially with avionics and electronic equipment. The SB all too often shows factory installed wiring provisions that doesn't exist from one serial number to the next for example. This is especially troublesome when a customer is sold job X and we find the airplane needs a lot more work than expected.

Back