Out of annual by one day...

LBCAK

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LBCAK
We have an airplane that is due for annual on Feb 1st, however the plane is stuck due to weather at an airport 19 miles away. Chances are good that the weather and runway conditions at our home base wont be safe Friday, but are looking good for Saturday or Sunday.

While in training, I was informed by my instructor that an airplane that is out of inspection but was in regular use was allowed to be flown one flight from the current location to the airport where the mechanic was located so that the inspection could be completed.

Anyone know if this is the case? I know the FAA has a Ferry Request that I can apply for, I have already sent an email to the Salt Lake FSDO about it, but I am wondering if my former instructor was full of it.

Thanks!
Cody

We have an airplane that is due for annual on Feb 1st, however the plane is stuck due to weather at an airport 19 miles away. Chances are good that the weather and runway conditions at our home base wont be safe Friday, but are looking good for Saturday or Sunday.

While in training, I was informed by my instructor that an airplane that is out of inspection but was in regular use was allowed to be flown one flight from the current location to the airport where the mechanic was located so that the inspection could be completed.

Anyone know if this is the case? I know the FAA has a Ferry Request that I can apply for, I have already sent an email to the Salt Lake FSDO about it, but I am wondering if my former instructor was full of it.

Thanks!
Cody

A plane can be transported to another airport if the reason for flight is for maintance. Or impending weather... Im pretty sure.

A plane can be transported to another airport if the reason for flight is for maintance. Or impending weather... Im pretty sure.

You had me until "pretty sure"

I am working my way through the FAR/AIM right now, if someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

I know there's a buffer for the 100hour, never heard of one for an annual. Figure a ferry permit is fairly routine for that purpose.

Was the last annual performed in January or February ???, if it was in February then you have until the end of February to get it done. If it was In January then on the first of February you would have to apply for a ferry permit.

Was the last annual performed in January or February ???, if it was in February then you have until the end of February to get it done. If it was In January then on the first of February you would have to apply for a ferry permit.

Not sure, our "Maintenance Officer" just sent out an email saying oh crap, were out of annual on Saturday, that was sent yesterday...

A ferry permit for this is pretty routine. Happened to my club a couple years ago, similar situation - annual was due by end of Jan, but wx wouldn't let us get to our mechanic.

Guess I will have to call the FSDO in the morning. Hopefully they are quick, I am paying for parking at an airport 19 miles from us!

Guess I will have to call the FSDO in the morning. Hopefully they are quick, I am paying for parking at an airport 19 miles from us!

I believe a mechanic has to fill out the paperwork for a ferry permit.

They have to sign off that it is safe to fly. - I'm going through it with a out of annual aircraft purchase now.

Thanks!
Cody
That's incorrect. There's a grace period for 100 hrs, but not for annuals. You'll need a ferry permit to legally move it.

Nope. You just need to have a mechanic look it over and sign the logs saying it is safe to ferry. It is a piece of cake, basically a slightly more thorough preflight.

LBCAK, don't overcomplicate this. Just call the FSDO and tell them you need a ferry permit. They do it all the time, I had the last one I called about in 10 or 15 minutes and I called on the Friday before a holiday weekend.

One thing to mention, you need to call the FSDO that covers the area where the plane is currently located if that is different from the one where you're based at or where you're headed.

Nope. You just need to have a mechanic look it over and sign the logs saying it is safe to ferry. It is a piece of cake, basically a slightly more thorough preflight.

LBCAK, don't overcomplicate this. Just call the FSDO and tell them you need a ferry permit. They do it all the time, I had the last one I called about in 10 or 15 minutes and I called on the Friday before a holiday weekend.

One thing to mention, you need to call the FSDO that covers the area where the plane is currently located if that is different from the one where you're based at or where you're headed.

Yep, its in Colorado but covered by SLC. I will be calling them first thing in the morning.

I know the FAA has a Ferry Request that I can apply for, I have already sent an email to the Salt Lake FSDO about it, but I am wondering if my former instructor was full of it.

Your instructor is full of it. If its out of annual, you need a ferry permit, period. Sorry the weather's bad and you're paying for parking.

Did you just make that up? A plane can be transported anywhere anytime on the back of a truck. An airplane must be airworthy to be flown. An airplane out of annual is not airworthy. Therefore, a ferry permit is required.

So, guys, do you think he needs a ferry permit for this?

:rolleyes2:

Your instructor is full of it. If its out of annual, you need a ferry permit, period. Sorry the weather's bad and you're paying for parking.

Did you just make that up? A plane can be transported anywhere anytime on the back of a truck. An airplane must be airworthy to be flown. An airplane out of annual is not airworthy. Therefore, a ferry permit is required.

No I just read it, I can't quote the source but I wouldn't of said it if I wasn't sure I read it.

I said "pretty sure" leaving room for some error in interpretation because I knew someone would be along shortly with the correct FAR.

Nope. You just need to have a mechanic look it over and sign the logs saying it is safe to ferry.
It would be rather a leap of faith for a mechanic to say that an airplane s/he's never seen is safe to ferry. I've never met one who'd do that, but YMMV. As for how to get this done, the usual procedure is for the A&P involved to send the paperwork to an Airworthiness Inspector at the FSDO -- the owner/pilot is not normally in that loop.

And just to confirm -- if the plane's last annual was in January 2013, it becomes a pumpkin at 12:01am on Feb 1 -- no grace period at all beyond that.

It would be rather a leap of faith for a mechanic to say that an airplane s/he's never seen is safe to ferry. I've never met one who'd do that, but YMMV. As for how to get this done, the usual procedure is for the A&P involved to send the paperwork to an Airworthiness Inspector at the FSDO -- the owner/pilot is not normally in that loop.

You misinterpreted what I said. The mechanic needs to inspect the airplane and make a logbook entry saying "safe to ferry". I can't imagine there are too many mechanics left that would just sign it off without looking at it.

What paperwork does the mechanic need to send the FSDO? I've gotten ferry permits with a single telephone call providing minimal information and never had to send them anything, then just waited for the email or fax to show up.

And just to confirm -- if the plane's last annual was in January 2013, it becomes a pumpkin at 12:01am on Feb 1 -- no grace period at all beyond that.

Its not as simple as everyone passes up, unless the Inspector is just that lenient.

Some of this checklist may not apply but you guys get the idea.

http://www.aerotrust.com/downloads/SFP - Applicant Checklist.pdf

Its not as simple as everyone passes up, unless the Inspector is just that lenient.

If an inspector, upon being contacted by the regular A&P, requires additional mx or "involved" inspections prior to a 30-mile mx ferry flight for a plane that was regularly flown within the last month and had a simple airworthiness time out due to wx... they are either intentionally malicious or incompetent.

As for how to get this done, the usual procedure is for the A&P involved to send the paperwork to an Airworthiness Inspector at the FSDO -- the owner/pilot is not normally in that loop.

The owner / operator is required to apply for the ferry permit.

The A&P only signs the permit as "Safe to fly" not airworthy.

Ferry permit,with a maintenance sign off. No big deal. Like to give a weeks lead time on annual just in case of weather.

Ferry permit,with a maintenance sign off. No big deal. Like to give a weeks lead time on annual just in case of weather.

I'm with ya on that one, our "maintenance officer" sent out an email an hour after the plane was grounded for weather, and only a day and a half before the plane drops out of annual.

35" of snow up here! Needless to say I doubt the plane is any good in powder!

Last edited:
I think he needs a ferry permit. Can a couple dozen more people confirm?

I think he needs a ferry permit. Can a couple dozen more people confirm?

Wrong, wrong and wrong. Its a Special Flight Permit.

Next you guys are gonna tell me you hold pilot's licenses.

:D

I don't. I have a certificate. I do have a driver license though.

How hard is it to change a 1 to a 4 though? ;)

Just like changing E's to B's. :D

*waits for Ron and his 0 sense of humor reply with how that's a federal offense under USC number whogivesa**** and a trip to Leavenworth is in my future*

Last edited:

What flight..:idea::dunno::dunno:..............................;)

Back