Our Airports are becoming POW camps

CaptainRobertRiter

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
CaptRobertRiter
After 9/11 the Department of Homeland Security and the local cities and counties have assaulted our airports. No longer are the airports family friendly, and places where the community can enjoy aviation. I have attached an open letter I have sent to the Mayor of the City of Torrance (KTOA). I had my FBO at KTOA for well over a decade. I had a flight school, a whale watching by plane tour, and maintenance shop. During this period I was blessed to actually meet Louise Zamperini, a hero of World War II, which the airport is named after. Robert “Bob” Hoover was also a frequent local to this airport. The City of Torrance with the Mayor and City Council has declared war on the airport. The lobby contains unfriendly and unusable furniture, the pilot lounge is locked up, the entrance to the field has a locked prison gate, and the city employees have been turned into prison guards! This is happening across our nation. It is heartbreaking to see our airports being taken away from us, and even more heartbreaking that no one is pushing back against these actions! I have attached the letter and the flight patch I have made for this issue. Let me know what you guys think? Am I the only one seeing this collapse of American aviation? If you would like this flight patch just contact me.

Attachments

• POW Letter to KTOA.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 21AE26A2-7C69-4930-A090-98288296C280.jpeg
    21AE26A2-7C69-4930-A090-98288296C280.jpeg
    838.6 KB · Views: 34
Two fold, protecting the aircraft and components from theft or damage. Protecting the citizens from your aircraft being used as a weapon. The instances of small aircraft being used as weapons before and after 9/11 is too small to measure. The noise complainers that moved in next to an existing airport is the issue.

After 9/11 the Department of Homeland Security and the local cities and counties have assaulted our airports. No longer are the airports family friendly, and places where the community can enjoy aviation. I have attached an open letter I have sent to the Mayor of the City of Torrance (KTOA). I had my FBO at KTOA for well over a decade. I had a flight school, a whale watching by plane tour, and maintenance shop. During this period I was blessed to actually meet Louise Zamperini, a hero of World War II, which the airport is named after. Robert “Bob” Hoover was also a frequent local to this airport. The City of Torrance with the Mayor and City Council has declared war on the airport. The lobby contains unfriendly and unusable furniture, the pilot lounge is locked up, the entrance to the field has a locked prison gate, and the city employees have been turned into prison guards! This is happening across our nation. It is heartbreaking to see our airports being taken away from us, and even more heartbreaking that no one is pushing back against these actions! I have attached the letter and the flight patch I have made for this issue. Let me know what you guys think? Am I the only one seeing this collapse of American aviation? If you would like this flight patch just contact me.
I agree one hundred percent.
Airports (that I am familiar with) with fences have seen a huge reduction in traffic.
Airports without fences have seen growth and an increase in activity.
Tear down the fences.

Aviation does have enemies, but when you talk about a "prison gate," are you having trouble getting out of the gate?

Last edited:
I agree one hundred percent.
Airports (that I am familiar with) with fences have seen a huge reduction in traffic.
Airports without fences have seen growth and an increase in activity.
Tear down the fences.
Airports that I'm familiar with with fences are busier than ever.

There are still plenty of airports that are people,pilot friendly. Also not all towns with airports are unsupportive.

Two fold, protecting the aircraft and components from theft or damage. Protecting the citizens from your aircraft being used as a weapon. The instances of small aircraft being used as weapons before and after 9/11 is too small to measure. The noise complainers that moved in next to an existing airport is the issue.
Dear Bill, You are very correct about the people moving right next to the airport, signing a waiver that they know they will have airport noise, and then demanding that the airport be closed down. In a future article I will discuss the $14 landing fee KTOA just imposed. This will add thousands of dollars to a young pilot’s training expense, and greatly discourage other pilots from coming to the airport. The Mayor and the city council members are elected by just a few thousand votes (2 to 3 thousand usually), and yet they can greatly harm an airport, FBO’s, and individual pilots! Thank you for reading the article! God Bless! Keep Flying Speed!

This airport probably needed a higher fence and more “prison wards”. It’s those lunatics why we need fences and security around airports.
52937660-1B54-4788-AF8B-AF6291FD5983.jpeg

Yes, I think you are the only one seeing this "happening across our nation"
I quick check of their google reviews are all stellar with the exception of one dude that was told to remain clear and call back in 15 minutes. Was that you?
Granted these photos aren't recent but they are post 9-11. Looks like a horrible place.

I will make patches for all of the other airports that have coffee, donuts, restaurants, outdoor seating, and a table for old guys to share "There I was" stories.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-27 110253.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 110253.png
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 110300.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 110300.png
    958.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 110310.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 110310.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 110321.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 110321.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 110329.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 110329.png
    550.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot 2023-12-27 110340.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-27 110340.png
    705.3 KB · Views: 28
I like the fence around our airport. I also like the lock on my hangar door. Keeps idiots who have the urge to touch everything (including my plane) out.
Over the last 30 years I have noticed it is not common everyday criminals that steal at the airport. Has anyone hear seen police cars at the airport taking police reports? No, it is the mechanics and other pilots taking the stuff. And everyone on the field knows who they are. No one else evens knows the value of the parts, nor how to even sell them. Last time I went to a pawn shop I did not see any aircraft parts or radios….I did see my skill saw though! We are giving up too much for security from things that were not taking place. I grew up in a country where the airport was a community meeting place, like a park, and I could help wash an airplane for a ride in the pattern to dry it off. I pray that this opportunity has not been taken away from our youth.

I’ve been flying for over 30 years and I see nothing that you are talking about in my state (Michigan). I, for one, like the fences and extra security. As others have said, this is more about California than alphabet agencies.

Over the last 30 years I have noticed it is not common everyday criminals that steal at the airport. Has anyone hear seen police cars at the airport taking police reports? No, it is the mechanics and other pilots taking the stuff. And everyone on the field knows who they are. No one else evens knows the value of the parts, nor how to even sell them. Last time I went to a pawn shop I did not see any aircraft parts or radios….I did see my skill saw though! We are giving up too much for security from things that were not taking place. I grew up in a country where the airport was a community meeting place, like a park, and I could help wash an airplane for a ride in the pattern to dry it off. I pray that this opportunity has not been taken away from our youth.

I think just last year at around this time some thugs in the Midwest decided to go to a bunch of small airports and empty out every plane sitting on the ramp. Radios and avionics. If you haven’t seen this happening in 30+ years, you didn’t pay attention. On our airport, everything is locked up and security cameras are everywhere. Small airport with no commercial services. Manager is an ex police officer, very accommodating to pilots and their planes but does make sure none of the people who have nothing to do at an active airfield stay out and that’s a good thing in my opinion.

That Midwest rash occurred in the Chicago area, IIRC.
So not too surprising IMO.

I have been met at my airplane several times by the local police onsite when entering at slight off hours. They either assessed by astonished look or they recognized me. Either way, happy they are there.

The problem you are having has everything to do with the City and State you live in and nothing to do with the Alphabets.
Eh, the Federal Gov't has mandated a lot of security theater requirements post-9/11, which I think have been tied to funding. One of those "secure the perimeter or lose your gov't subsidy" kind of deals. Not saying that city/state entities don't have greater impact on GA, just that the 3-letter organizations often have their say as well.

Pretty sure AOPA has been helping fight this stuff with their giant war-chest of cash . . . should see them step in any day now . . . any day. I'm sure they'll get right on it after they finish rubbing elbows with the Jet A crowd.

Eh, the Federal Gov't has mandated a lot of security theater requirements post-9/11, which I think have been tied to funding. One of those "secure the perimeter or lose your gov't subsidy" kind of deals. Not saying that city/state entities don't have greater impact on GA, just that the 3-letter organizations often have their say as well.
I get that, but I’ve seen no evidence that the security requirements at GA airports has stifled anything. The OP’s gripe is mainly centered with his municipality and not the Feds.

Is Torrance no longer an airport I can walk off of the street, through the pilot lounge, and out to the tarmac at? sad if so.

While the flyover staters never miss an opportunity to take a shot at Cali -- I've only ever landed at and been trapped INSIDE an airport fence once, due to "security", and it was in the midwest.

I think just last year at around this time some thugs in the Midwest decided to go to a bunch of small airports and empty out every plane sitting on the ramp. Radios and avionics. If you haven’t seen this happening in 30+ years, you didn’t pay attention. On our airport, everything is locked up and security cameras are everywhere. Small airport with no commercial services. Manager is an ex police officer, very accommodating to pilots and their planes but does make sure none of the people who have nothing to do at an active airfield stay out and that’s a good thing in my opinion.
I've seen it, but not at my airport, or any nearby.

I appreciate the intent to return airports to being more accessible to the community and youth.

But.

I really have a hard time with you using the terms POW and POW Camp to further your cause. Yes, those recliners in the FBO lobby are certainly reminiscent of the Hanoi Hilton. Unless the FBOs are actually confining people in solitary, and torturing pilots for information, the sacrifices that our actual POWs endured should not be used as a slogan to generate support for airport security changes.

Also, a couple of our local, uncontrolled airports here in town have had a rash of thefts over the years. I know people who had every tool and anything else of value stolen from their hangars. I bet they wished for a better fence or gate. Some of the criminals have actually been caught, no they were not airport employees, they were drug addicts who knew they could quickly turn tools into cash for more drugs.

Many years ago, I used to take my son, who was very young (pre-school) to the local airport and we'd walk up and down the ramp where the planes were parked and I introduced him to aviation. We'd go in the little FBO building, introduce ourselves, ask if we could walk around and look at the planes, and we always got a very warm welcome and a nice explanation of what NOT to do and where NOT to go. We happily complied. My little boy's enthusiasm for the planes must have been appealing, because often an owner would come out and let us sit in his plane, fire up the avionics, and on one occasion, suggested the picture posted below-he approved of the pose and picture.
zach-plane.jpg

Years passed, and now he has 2 boys of his own, and you guessed it, the airport, now much bigger and much more secure, but with an aviation museum, has become a favorite Saturday afternoon outing. Our local aviation museum has a C150 that the little guys (and some big little boys like me and their dad!) can sit in and dream...
IMG_3750.JPG

IMG_3751.JPG

I do agree to a certain extent. But you can still sit at the end of the runway of my class D and watch airplanes, takeoff and land. My airport has commercial flights, so there is some extra security. My airplane is in an open T hanger so I’m glad to have the fencing. But there is a lounge at the terminal to watch the airplanes. We had an EAA chapter, but it closed due to lack of interest. I have visited several small airports, and just walked in and started talking with people. But I’m not gonna walk around unless I have permission.

I appreciate the intent to return airports to being more accessible to the community and youth.

But.

I really have a hard time with you using the terms POW and POW Camp to further your cause. Yes, those recliners in the FBO lobby are certainly reminiscent of the Hanoi Hilton. Unless the FBOs are actually confining people in solitary, and torturing pilots for information, the sacrifices that our actual POWs endured should not be used as a slogan to generate support for airport security changes.

Also, a couple of our local, uncontrolled airports here in town have had a rash of thefts over the years. I know people who had every tool and anything else of value stolen from their hangars. I bet they wished for a better fence or gate. Some of the criminals have actually been caught, no they were not airport employees, they were drug addicts who knew they could quickly turn tools into cash for more drugs.
Hey Russ, Let me tell you about what is going on here. I pilot was driving his classic car around the airport, which was kept in his hanger along with his plane. He had his two very young grandchildren with him sitting in the front seat as they drove at 10 mph looking at the planes. Along comes the city employee with the yellow lights and horn blaring. The city employee starts yelling that he is not allowed to drive around, and then the airport manager comes up in another car with yellow lights and horns going. After ten minutes of yelling the pilot puts his car back in the hanger and leaves the airport because his grandchildren are terrified and crying. This pilot has told me both of his grandchildren are too afraid to come to the airport anymore, and want nothing to do with it. Prior to this it was their favorite place to go! So yes, I think the POW analogy is correct.

Airports that I'm familiar with with fences are busier than ever.
I (We) are very fortunate that the airport I fly out of most of the time had the foresight back in the 90's to build the Main FBO building near the runway, with a picnic viewing area just off the runway and facilities for an restaurant upstairs with an excellent viewing Balcony. It is a great example of how with a little planning an airport can be both public friendly and reasonable secure. Anyone can come out and sit in the covered picnic area or go sit up on the Balcony and order Breakfast or Lunch while watching airplanes, fuel, taxi and take off and land. Yes the airport is gated off but there are specific areas for the public. Sit in the FBO area on a busy day and you will see and/or talk with instructors briefing students, passengers and crew unloading/loading or waiting for their next flight.

This foresight is one of the reasons we have had two museums with flying aircraft move to the airport, We now have a couple P40's, a P-51B, and N3N and a couple other rare airplane regularly flying out of the field and they bring in other visiting aircraft, I have seen P-38's, B-25's, P-47's, B-17's, TBM's, Wildcats, Hellcats, even had F-22 come and do some formation flyby's with the other warbirds, All in part due to the access the public has to view the aircraft.

Issues are the Balcony/Restaurant are so popular that it is frequently full to capacity, They could have easily made the Balcony area much larger. The building is showing some of its age, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

There is discussion of replacing the building, I only hope they realize what a valuable asset they have and don't mess up a good thing in the process.
Taking the restaurant off line for year while they build a new building could be a be a huge step backwards, but if they do it right they could expand and revamp the building in a way to only improve things.

On the other side of the coin is a nearby airport that had a good restaurant in an old building but it was so far away from the runway you couldn't see much. This year they kicked the restaurant out of the building under the guise of building a new one. As I recall I don't think they have even torn the old building down yet, it is just sitting empty. They do have space to build a new building near the runway that have a good view and access, but I haven't seen any plans to do so. Instead what I have been hearing is they want to build big expensive executive hangers in that area where the public won't be able to see anything. No matter what they do now it will take quite a bit of work to get a good restaurant back on the field and develop a clientele that will support it.

Brian

I (We) are very fortunate that the airport I fly out of most of the time had the foresight back in the 90's to build the Main FBO building near the runway, with a picnic viewing area just off the runway and facilities for an restaurant upstairs with an excellent viewing Balcony. It is a great example of how with a little planning an airport can be both public friendly and reasonable secure. Anyone can come out and sit in the covered picnic area or go sit up on the Balcony and order Breakfast or Lunch while watching airplanes, fuel, taxi and take off and land. Yes the airport is gated off but there are specific areas for the public. Sit in the FBO area on a busy day and you will see and/or talk with instructors briefing students, passengers and crew unloading/loading or waiting for their next flight.

This foresight is one of the reasons we have had two museums with flying aircraft move to the airport, We now have a couple P40's, a P-51B, and N3N and a couple other rare airplane regularly flying out of the field and they bring in other visiting aircraft, I have seen P-38's, B-25's, P-47's, B-17's, TBM's, Wildcats, Hellcats, even had F-22 come and do some formation flyby's with the other warbirds, All in part due to the access the public has to view the aircraft.

Issues are the Balcony/Restaurant are so popular that it is frequently full to capacity, They could have easily made the Balcony area much larger. The building is showing some of its age, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

There is discussion of replacing the building, I only hope they realize what a valuable asset they have and don't mess up a good thing in the process.
Taking the restaurant off line for year while they build a new building could be a be a huge step backwards, but if they do it right they could expand and revamp the building in a way to only improve things.

On the other side of the coin is a nearby airport that had a good restaurant in an old building but it was so far away from the runway you couldn't see much. This year they kicked the restaurant out of the building under the guise of building a new one. As I recall I don't think they have even torn the old building down yet, it is just sitting empty. They do have space to build a new building near the runway that have a good view and access, but I haven't seen any plans to do so. Instead what I have been hearing is they want to build big expensive executive hangers in that area where the public won't be able to see anything. No matter what they do now it will take quite a bit of work to get a good restaurant back on the field and develop a clientele that will support it.

Brian
Say "Hi" to Nate at the Tower Grill for me, Ted. next time you go in... He'll know the name!

Sorry to hear about KTOA, I used to rent Piper Tomahawks from there... the place that had them kept them in good shape, I think one of them is over at Compton now.

May want to ask around why there is an increase in the security at the airport... this may be to your benefit.

How else are they gonna protect those white Justice Dept. 737s shuttling people around the country?

Obviously every airport and every situation is different. Our airport has fences and some level of security as necessary, but that hasn't stopped GA or deterred the public interest. We regularly have events open to the public, from fly-ins to warbird visits. If someone comes out to the airport with a true interest in aviation, they will find someone to let them in and help them get involved.

Please realize that at many airports, 95% of the purpose of the fence is to keep out wildlife. That is why the FAA funded ours. Without it we would have a couple dozen deer on the runway every night like we used to.

Hey Russ, Let me tell you about what is going on here. I pilot was driving his classic car around the airport, which was kept in his hanger along with his plane. He had his two very young grandchildren with him sitting in the front seat as they drove at 10 mph looking at the planes. Along comes the city employee with the yellow lights and horn blaring. The city employee starts yelling that he is not allowed to drive around, and then the airport manager comes up in another car with yellow lights and horns going. After ten minutes of yelling the pilot puts his car back in the hanger and leaves the airport because his grandchildren are terrified and crying. This pilot has told me both of his grandchildren are too afraid to come to the airport anymore, and want nothing to do with it. Prior to this it was their favorite place to go! So yes, I think the POW analogy is correct.
I agree that's awful, and the overzealous and bully of an airport employee needs to be corrected.

But POW analogy? Really? Have you even ever read anything about what POWs went through? Ever served in the military?

I bet the grandpa and grandchildren did something like went out for ice cream afterwards. Calling them POWs and making a "patch" that directly borrows styling elements from the actual POW "you are not forgotten" flag is an extreme exaggeration solely for shock value and is disrespectful of actual POWs. Come on man, it's just crass.

I could theoretically support your cause, but not the way you're determined to market it.

1703724346773.png

On the other side of the spectrum, at my airport, we occasionally have people driving down the runway in their mini van, due to their inability to read plain signs in large lettering.

Back