Oshkosh 2022

Fabio

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Fabio
Hello
First time to Oshkosh this year.
I was wondering arriving Tuesday morning in a C-182 if there is going to be enough room fo all the planes to camp at the show, or it’s first come first serve and running the risk of being full and get turned around away from the airport?
Thanks for the help.

There’s certainly a risk that it could be full. But there are always people leaving. Be prepared to divert to Fon-du-Lac or Appleton, where you’ll still have a good time.

Below, expect to see posts berating EAA’s handling of parking, etc., etc. Ignore them; they’re just out to harsh your mellow about flying to Oshkosh.

It's anybody's guess as to if or when the field will close to arrivals. Back when I first started flying in in 2000, it was pretty much a given that the field would close to arrivals in the middle of the day and MAYBE reopen after the airshow depending on how many departures they could get out. Nowadays, I don't think that is as common of an occurrence as it used to be. I think I saw where someone said the field never closed to arrivals last year.

Either way, have the divert plan reviewed and ready to execute if necessary. They'll put the info on the ATIS which you should be able to pick up a good ways out to have time to decide what to do.

They extended the South 40 last year and I don't think anyone was turned away. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I rode through there taking photos and there was a lot of room. I don't think it's anyone's favorite place to camp, but it's available!

A Tuesday arrival can be a 50/50 proposition, just depends. Mondays and Tuesdays are usually the heaviest aircraft attendance days. Weather and field conditions also play a huge role as well. As others have said, best to have a Plan B and C ready to go and don't get locked into an OSH or nothing mentality. Study the NOTICE (aka NOTAM) carefully. Plan your fuel accordingly. Finally, if you show up and holding is in progress for the VFR arrival (they will announce it over the arrival ATIS), I highly recommend diverting to a nearby airport and wait out on the ground whatever drove them to initiate the holding process, but that's just my opinion. Did I mention study the NOTAM?

Last year was my first year, and I was originally planning I go on Wednesday, so I was watching the parking status updates pretty close. They never closed GAC last year, but I believe they did fill everything down to the last row of the S40 on Tuesday. Wednesday the storm forecast became clear and a LOT of planes left. My guess is that fly-in attendance will be down this year due to fuel prices, but who knows.

I saw scattered showers predicted Sat/Sun. Monday and Tuesday could be a zoo if those days get rained out.

A few years ago we were in the pattern at the Fiske intersection when the air boss announced that parking was full and unless you had a reservation you should not land.
We didn't even know you could get a reservation, so we departed the pattern and continued on to finish our trip around the Great Lakes without Oshkosh.

It was 8:00am on the first Monday morning of Oshkosh and they were full already.

A few years ago we were in the pattern at the Fiske intersection when the air boss announced that parking was full and unless you had a reservation you should not land.
We didn't even know you could get a reservation, so we departed the pattern and continued on to finish our trip around the Great Lakes without Oshkosh.

It was 8:00am on the first Monday morning of Oshkosh and they were full already.

The reservation they were most likely referring to was the ramp at Basler. Everywhere else on the field is first come, first serve. Also IIRC, they have never turned away a showplane (eg experimental or warbird). The issue a lot of times in the past years has been weather and field conditions. If the Saturday and Sunday before the show are rainy, the grass can become quickly saturated and they’ll close off portions of all the parking and camping areas which lowers capacity.

Guaranteed that at the beginning of the show, the day after a major weather event in the region will be a first degree Charlie Foxtrot.

Last year was my first year, and I was originally planning I go on Wednesday, so I was watching the parking status updates pretty close. They never closed GAC last year, but I believe they did fill everything down to the last row of the S40 on Tuesday. Wednesday the storm forecast became clear and a LOT of planes left. My guess is that fly-in attendance will be down this year due to fuel prices, but who knows.
I left on Wednesday last year. That’s why the storm missed Oshkosh

I will give my lean-of-peak/mixture management presentation again at AirVenture this year:
  • Monday, 10:00 AM, Forum Stage 4
  • Saturday, 10:00 AM, Workshop Classroom A
There will be a little quiz with door prizes again at the end :)

See you on Oshkosh!

- Martin

...annnnnnnd here we (they) go! NOTAM is active.

upload_2022-7-21_13-28-58.png

They're having problems right now with not enough flagfolks, so planes landing have no idea where to go once they pull off into the grass. Though... you know... a lot of that would be in the NOTICE if it was studied well.

I can verify this... there were spaces in the S40 the whole time we were there last year (Monday AM - Friday AM). We landed at KOSH on Monday about 11:00 CDT. There was very little traffic as we were flying in, and while the ATIS was announcing either the Endeavor Bridge or Puckaway Lake transition (I can't remember which), Fisk Approach directed traffic to go direct to Ripon and fall in line. As I recal, there was an RV(7?) about 2 miles in front of us and a C177 about 2 or 3 miles behind us. After landing on (or near!) the Green Dot (and hearing "Welcome to Oshkosh"!), we were directed to taxi to the southern end of the South 40 (which took nearly 30 minutes and included a couple of holds for crossing traffic along the way). Overall, the South 40 wasn't a bad place and we had a great time... the shuttles were reliable and the shower/toilet facilities (on trailers) were "nice". Having camped in the North 40 on the only other time I was at Oshkosh (also flying up in 2018), I would say I'm hoping to make it into the North 40 when I go back up there this year (on Sunday), but will still be happy if we're directed to "North Fond du Lac" (as one of the signs along the taxi route to S40 reads).

appears to be an aircraft on the grass off the east side of 36L :( Emergency services on scene.

Back