Oshkosh 2018 Picture Gallery

Just got back...28.9 Hobbs hours (went to Ft. Worth to visit friends on the way back to Cali), and walked over twenty miles at the show. Fun!
Here are a few. D-Motor is intriguing....flat-4 liquid-cooled Flathead, 137 lb with 91 hp, claimed 2000 hr TBO. May power a future project. Cri-Cri launched from an SUV made me laugh. And props are not just for drying wet towels...useful when your socks get wet.

IMG_3068.jpg IMG_3047.jpg IMG_3070 2.jpg IMG_3115.jpg IMG_3097.jpg

A35E3BDC-6B96-4AE4-BC63-E8260DEAE8E0.jpeg 86A1CAE9-DD4B-4322-AF70-230D5AF7F755.jpeg 8D99220F-A4E4-4962-BA3A-5D24467E9094.jpeg
Had a great three days at OSH. Bumped into Kent at Mooney exhibit.
Most bizarre “plane” was this crowd funded Switchblade flying car to be. Absolutely beautiful metal and composite fabrication. I can’t imagine it ever getting off the ground however. It’s meant to be a kit. The brochure offers an IFR version.
Most beautiful paint job was definitely this Star Wars Phenom jet.
Last pic is flying over Chicago O’Hare at 17,000’ on the way home yesterday.

I found out what Henning has really been up to. Oshkosh curds.

LEYxfMJ-JssWbdPjmWcS89wlun8kntNuN2n2jU_8GJOLdhhUdNUnc-OsweoAVM8T8fyficqCSfleAEzARHXpp1hcQX0BLFQXO03PmDr92UcAOmscMGKEYiYhN5MpmjXBDJKzgjXehq3n4g5bgqdoDzG_LnqSybDFk3IRlNjlG4T9fBLZ57qWvVHiaaRD990VyaMCuy8IPM9rR9znK1ImJtwbfeTSifr_vaqVAKyOXqJTbMYrEfjr6wxoBZX0tF0p1jLnp5OU40gm2WKSvAueMbR-8M2jt19doj4QVHE2D95Zij577MKX4qNLFCagA3jvf7sGjyI0Px0msP4T3u4l3e1WOCUIPmO_2XEJn-olI5vNbBSr1VZMFzI3JM-XavzcxeLA3urkhMPC0iVHVkVC6aXc0BMESw8ZRbhHE5pICz6QVwnznS9R7QQTb-Y5bTtdNSW1iPY6Lx12z-U-u1owNCB2lNUX4kFrJjfPDnDQmJznz0JPhGRcPLL2Hz_oj8AzQuYKmzGz3W_71Qs3v3HDBYy9B63fyYL706S6hhNSnRhbR0HT4_rAF2RY4tGy0WU50EhJtR7vmVm3-crwqy4GTO0l0k33BfekWWfC2NA=w1661-h934-no

Last edited:
It's commendable to have personal minimums and stick to them. :cool:

I gotta say that I agree with Zeldman, I can't stand crowds. With all the arrival issues, weather, parking, bathroom, transportation and other gripes and complaints that I've read here, I'd rather just see the pictures people more tolerant than I, have taken.

I gotta say that I agree with Zeldman, I can't stand crowds. With all the arrival issues, weather, parking, bathroom, transportation and other gripes and complaints that I've read here, I'd rather just see the pictures people more tolerant than I, have taken.

Adventures typically suck when you're having them. :D

Adventures typically suck when you're having them. :D

That is a very good point. I flew to Aransas TX once (Jay and Mary weren't there...yeah I went by and asked) to KRKP (Rockport) where my good friend and best man at my wedding is the airport manager. Along the way, we ran into weather, icing, failed charging system and grumpy old men but I think think fondly of it today.

What happened to our society when women use to be like this:

IMG_3115.jpg

Now instead they are doing this:

duckface.jpg

With all the arrival issues, weather, parking, bathroom, transportation and other gripes and complaints that I've read here,

I have a feeling I would enjoy the challenge of arriving, especially if the weather is less than stellar VFR. I probably would enjoy some of the exhibits and talking to a few people. But as I get older, I am less tolerant of being in a crowd area, having to scramble for what I consider as necessities, like private bathrooms, quiet place to sleep, not sweating as I try to sleep, decent food that I don't have to wait in line for.....etc, etc.....

6a8e01dd9c9daae6bf98384411445d41.jpg

It i the airplane equivalent of a monster truck. It has so much torque it can fly at a 30-deg climb angle continuously. Its impressive, but mostly a show plane. I am unsure of its real utility.

It i the airplane equivalent of a monster truck. It has so much torque it can fly at a 30-deg climb angle continuously. Its impressive, but mostly a show plane. I am unsure of its real utility.

I met the builder. It can *accelerate* at 45 degrees, the STOL competition had to limit it to 30 degrees because there wasn't an aerobatic box. It's amazing, and every bit as useful as most small planes (which is to say, it's an amazing toy).

I met the builder. It can *accelerate* at 45 degrees, the STOL competition had to limit it to 30 degrees because there wasn't an aerobatic box. It's amazing, and every bit as useful as most small planes (which is to say, it's an amazing toy).

Being experimental exhibition I wonder if the FAA put any limitations on the airplane..

Remember that rotary-powered RV that claimed a particular time-to-climb record to 10,000 feet? The vertical speed was 100 knots, IIRC. :eek:

Not an F-16, but impressive nonetheless.

Being experimental exhibition I wonder if the FAA put any limitations on the airplane..

Yes, they did. Because there was no aerobatic box on ultralights all planes were angle limited to 30 degrees.

Yes, they did. Because there was no aerobatic box on ultralights all planes were angle limited to 30 degrees.

I didnt mean at the show, more interested in the plane. Like can he carry passengers, does he have to submit a flight plan for every flight. The FAA can impose restriction on Experimental exhibition aircraft.

I didnt mean at the show, more interested in the plane. Like can he carry passengers, does he have to submit a flight plan for every flight. The FAA can impose restriction on Experimental exhibition aircraft.

Ah, got it. I've heard nothing to suggest it was being handled any differently from a typical experimental, but neither did I ask that question.

Mike Patey or Flying Cowboys on YouTube. Looks pretty useful in the bush.

Great pics Jack!

Especially liked the one with the Statue of Liberty painted on the tail, and the antique one with the machine guns.

Great pics Jack!

Especially liked the one with the Statue of Liberty painted on the tail, and the antique one with the machine guns.
Thanks! I should have provided a link to our entire team's work. They had me focused in one area and doing air-to-airs, but the rest of the team kicked some serious butt! Check out all of the photos by clicking here.

Thanks for sharing those....that's allot of great pictures...take hours to get through

I also avoid crowds. I generally don’t like being around other members of the species more than necessary. I would recommend making Oshkosh an exception. It’s worth doing.

Yes. You have to remember, it's not crowds of mere people, it's crowds of pilots and other aviation enthusiasts!

The best way I've heard it put: Oshkosh is a group of old friends, new friends, and friends you haven't met yet.

My son is 13 months old and this was his second Oshkosh. He had to look and point everytime the tri-motors took off or the helicopter rides flew over. View attachment 65807 View attachment 65808 View attachment 65810

Nice! My son is 18 months old and it was his 2nd Oshkosh too. :) Our family tradition (we can call it that now that we've done it twice, right?) is to take a picture at the arch, just like you!

We should... Uh... Have our kids meet sometime. Yeah, that's it. It'll have nothing to do with them entertaining each other while we talk about airplanes...

Back