Osh PIREP

I’m not sure I believe the EAA website on aircraft camping (especially vac). What does it look like for openings?

There is more of the south GAC that was useable this year as well as an auxiliary area about halfway down we were calling “the gated community “

The website is saying GA camping has come close to capacity and that they expanded the camping grounds again this year, wonder where to
South40. We also have new non-camping parking down south. The EAA is pushing to get enough capacity to not turn anybody away by next year. They're close this year. We were still sending people to the South 40 at the peak after the North 40 and Vintage filled yesterday.

Wasn’t the newly-restored Constellation supposed to arrive yesterday? Did I miss it?

More than last year? Van's 50th anniversary was last year. Roughly a metric crap-ton of RVs last year.
No idea, it's my first time here! I knew there'd be a lot of Vans but theres way more than I ever knew existed

We’ve now been taxiing for 90 minutes from the South 40, mostly because our taxiway was shut down while they pulled out the guppy. We’re still a mile and a half from the departure end. We should have a great view of the takeoff, though!

South40. We also have new non-camping parking down south. The EAA is pushing to get enough capacity to not turn anybody away by next year. They're close this year. We were still sending people to the South 40 at the peak after the North 40 and Vintage filled yesterday.
I don’t think they’ve turned anyone away, they want the $$$. 3 day minimum for any campers even if you are there just one night. Should start to clear up quite a bit today. Last year I planned to stay longer but left early due to the poor spot, and south 40 has super loud semi trucks ALL night long, couldn’t sleep and I’m usually really good at sleeping.

Wasn’t the newly-restored Constellation supposed to arrive yesterday? Did I miss it?
It was supposed to be there Monday, but they had engine trouble and are still stuck in Madison last I heard.

Screenshot_20230727-101926.png
This guy that flew over head a few times earlier wasn't the constellation? Guess I need to go edumacate myself on planes some more.

I’m probably leaving tomorrow morning, unless EAA finds more work for me! It’s been a great year, the grounds seemed full to me. I took some overhead shots and will post here when I get home. I failed on the POA front… met a couple of you, but was pulled into too many events and missed the POA gatherings. ☹️

I’m not sure I believe the EAA website on aircraft camping (especially vac). What does it look like for openings?
Lots of openings today. On my row, VAC 77, 5 planes left this morning. After the Wed night airshow, a lot of people bail.

We’ve now been taxiing for 90 minutes from the South 40, mostly because our taxiway was shut down while they pulled out the guppy. We’re still a mile and a half from the departure end. We should have a great view of the takeoff, though!
2:15 of taxi time thus far. The conga line was pointed at 18 for much of that, then reversed to 36, and most recently to 27, though we’ve yet to make it as far as Boeing Plaza so we still have a mile-and-a-half to go and no one has moved for 20 minutes. We’re taking bets on whether the next runway assignment will be to the ultralight strip or the seaplane base

On the plus side, volunteers just brought us bottled water. We’re considering ordering a pizza. And we saw the guppy take off.
IMG_2758.jpeg

Heading out. I see 12 open spots just right here next to the green shower house (soon to be 13).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m probably leaving tomorrow morning, unless EAA finds more work for me! It’s been a great year, the grounds seemed full to me. I took some overhead shots and will post here when I get home. I failed on the POA front… met a couple of you, but was pulled into too many events and missed the POA gatherings. ☹️
Looking forward to seeing that. I haven't searched hard, but I've had my eye out for some current overheads of the grounds this year, but so far haven't seen any

And we’re off! 3:10 taxi time. Departures moving pretty quickly EXCEPT they weren’t taking them from taxiway P. We got a second delivery of water during the shutdown, and folks had time to wander off to the porta johns.

Last edited:
And we’re off! 3:10 taxi time. Departures moving pretty quickly EXCEPT they weren’t taking them from taxiway P. We got a second delivery of water during the shutdown, and folks had time to wander off to the ports johns.
Almost need an oil change after that wait

Lots of openings today. On my row, VAC 77, 5 planes left this morning. After the Wed night airshow, a lot of people bail.

I got into the ultralight area in the row by all the 195s. There was a bunch of open spots and departing folks too. They where changing landing direction right as I was next to vintage and had to get the next taxiway.

We were wheels up at 6:59 to avoid that wait. We waited an hour on Thursday AM last year while every Warbird and Trimotor in the known universe got cuts at the front of the takeoff and landing line. It was insane.

Pictures or it didn't happen ;)
My tent flooded yesterday (Wed) morning rainstorm. Had an inch of water floating on the floor. It’s because I’m using an old tent and the fabric is thin enough that water wicked through
Then dripped on the floor, I thought it would be fine since original forecast was no rain all week (yeah, about that…)

I had to triage what stuff I wanted to keep dry, but almost everything got wet or damp to some
Extent. Got online to Target website and found a tent for sale store pickup, got super lucky because the camping section was cleared-out. Rode my bike there, got new tent and all is good now.

Attachments

• IMG_7785.jpeg
    IMG_7785.jpeg
    845.5 KB · Views: 28
We were wheels up at 6:59 to avoid that wait. We waited an hour on Thursday AM last year while every Warbird and Trimotor in the known universe got cuts at the front of the takeoff and landing line. It was insane.
The trimotor has its own procedure. It doesn't get in line, but it has procedures to get up and out in the flow. I have no idea what they were thinking about today. They should have used the post-airshow departures-only procedure for a hour or so to get the taxiways freed up.

The trimotor has its own procedure. It doesn't get in line, but it has procedures to get up and out in the flow. I have no idea what they were thinking about today. They should have used the post-airshow departures-only procedure for a hour or so to get the taxiways freed up.
Thursday morning is always a big push to leave the show. They should be aware and prepared for it. But...

Of course, the jam on Papa made it difficult to take the arrivals which we were getting. Compounding that is that we have to stop using the "ditch" between Papa and 36L whenever there's anything large using or making a pass over the runways.

Today is stupid hot. Spent a few hours at the seaplane base. Must have been 20 degrees cooler and a nice breeze. It was great. I didn't even hit the main grounds today. Wasn't into it. And now we got a big storm tonight that will probably make Wednesday look like a slight drizzle.

And now we got a big storm tonight that will probably make Wednesday look like a slight drizzle.
I’ve been watching the weather radar on this, seems like it will go north of us ? Most of the mess is well to the north, and it’s moving East.

Edit: nope, it’s definitely on us.

Last edited:
My tent flooded yesterday (Wed) morning rainstorm. Had an inch of water floating on the floor. It’s because I’m using an old tent and the fabric is thin enough that water wicked through
Then dripped on the floor, I thought it would be fine since original forecast was no rain all week (yeah, about that…)
My tent flooded on Saturday too, but not because of the fabric. The reason was, I sucked at tenting. The secret is to fold the tarp fully under the tent, about 5 inch away from the edges. Other campers set me straight and it was no problem thereafter. Kinda comfy listening to the rain in the tent. Also, one needs to tie down ribs and rain fly. I ended dumpster-diving for stake and rope material, as my tent didn't have enough from the factory.

Attachments

• x67_osh23_tent_stakes.jpg
    x67_osh23_tent_stakes.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I sent this to our chairman this morning and he sang it during a meeting this morning. Pretty much everybody at the airport (FAA, airport, parking folks, etc...) admits to having a part in the screw up and he's going to arrange some meetings to make sure it doesn't repeat.

Name:  papa.jpgViews: 25Size:  19.9 KB

One bright Thursday morning in Oshkosh,
The pilots decided to split,
They got stuck on taxiway Papa,
The airport had turned into sh...

Shaving Cream.
Be nice and clean.
Shave every day and you'll always look keen.

i plan to leave maybe Sunday morning…

Good idea or bad idea? How can I minimize the crazy and not get stuck in a long taxi line ? ?

I was airborne 10 minutes after starting the engine. Never leaving on Thursday again. This was nothing.

I sent this to our chairman this morning and he sang it during a meeting this morning. Pretty much everybody at the airport (FAA, airport, parking folks, etc...) admits to having a part in the screw up and he's going to arrange some meetings to make sure it doesn't repeat.

Name:  papa.jpgViews: 25Size:  19.9 KB

One bright Thursday morning in Oshkosh,
The pilots decided to split,
They got stuck on taxiway Papa,
The airport had turned into sh...

Shaving Cream.
Be nice and clean.
Shave every day and you'll always look keen.
Do seaplanes
is there ever a delay for seaplanes? IOW should I find a seaplane to ride in next year?

Back