Ordered new Tecnam P2010

Good breakfast at the restaurant, too. I’m there about once a week.
Haven't tried that but will add it to my list. I'm only 25 minutes away, close enough to hear their traffic on CTAF. I fly the acro contests there in spring and fall. The hotel restaurant at the racetrack has an excellent breakfast that comes with the room.

I estimate I'm 2-3 weeks from delivery of this new Tecnam P2010 MkII (215 HP) in Sebring, FL.

As you have seen in this thread I obtained my High Performance rating last year and now have 40.8 hours of HP time behind me. I also have 40.5 recent hours of G1000 time. I'm hoping these recent hours will help me obtain a good insurance rate or at least no restrictions that will delay me from flying the plane back from Florida (remember, I'm based in Southern California).

I'll let you know here how it works out.

Regarding insurance for my new plane, I used Wings Insurance and I couldn't be any happier... They told me:

"I’ve just completed fully marketing your Tecnam submission to 100% of the aviation underwriting companies. Attached is the most favorable insurance proposal for your pending purchase which is from IAT."

I'm very happy with the quote and have committed to bind the insurance.

OP update:

It's getting close! Just waiting for that call telling me I have a week to come pick up the plane. I believe there is a good chance I will get the call by the end the month. Here is my current plan:

Day 1 commercial flight from SoCal to Florida and drive to Sebring for the night. Try and get some sleep.

Day 2 walk around, inspection, go over AFM, checklists, complete paperwork and take possession of the plane.

Day 3 training with CFI familiar with the Tecnam P2010 MkII*

Day 4 complete training*

* = Insurance requirement (min. 5 hours flight time for me.)

Day 5 brief transition training for my safety pilot (right seat.)

Day 6 - KSEF KBOW KGNV for lunch with business contact. Then KGNV direct to KTLH for dinner with business contact. Spend night.

Day 7 leg 1 - KTLH 54J KNSE KBTR for lunch.

Day 7 leg 2 - KBTR 4R7 08XA KEDC for overnight.

Day 8 leg 1 - KEDC KJCT KFST KPEQ for lunch.

Day 8 leg 2 - KPEQ KVHN KELP for overnight.

Day 9 leg 1 - KELP KLRU KDMN KLSB P33 E95 KTUS KCHD for lunch.

Day 9 leg 2 - KCHD VPFRB KBLH TRM KHMT VPLSA KFUL and we are home!!!

Stay tuned!

That is exciting…tuned in for the rest of the story.

OP here, exciting news! My plane had a brief test flight today and successful landing ;-) so delivery is imminent!

Tail number is N144SE (I reserved this tail number last year).

Next week we should enter escrow and the week of the 14th I hope to pick it up. A few hours of training, as required by my insurance company, along with a few more hours to allow me to get more comfortable with the plane, and then the journey begins to the West coast, KSEF -> KFUL.

Current plan is basically Sebring Florida to Tallahassee Florida, to Baton Rouge Louisiana, to Austin Texas, to El Paso Texas, to Chandler Arizona, then into Fullerton California.

Stay tuned!
15b4918e7da6bb68227ced2095198a00.jpg

Great news! IFR certified?

OP update:

If I was ordering the plane, this would be my reality:

Day 1 commercial flight from SoCal to Florida and drive to Sebring for the night. Try and get some sleep.

Day 2 walk around, inspection, go over AFM, checklists, complete paperwork and take possession of the plane.

Day 3 Training with CFI familiar with the Tecnam P2010 MkII* - Weather delay

Day 4 complete training* -Weather delay

* = Insurance requirement (min. 5 hours flight time for me.)

Day 5 brief transition training for my safety pilot (right seat.) -Weather delay

Day 6 - KSEF KBOW KGNV for lunch with business contact. Then KGNV direct to KTLH for dinner with business contact. Spend night. -Weather delay

Day 7 leg 1 - KTLH 54J KNSE KBTR for lunch. -Weather delay

Day 7 leg 2 - KBTR 4R7 08XA KEDC for overnight. -Weather delay

Day 8 leg 1 - KEDC KJCT KFST KPEQ for lunch. -Weather delay

Day 8 leg 2 - KPEQ KVHN KELP for overnight. -Weather delay

Day 9 leg 1 - KELP KLRU KDMN KLSB P33 E95 KTUS KCHD for lunch. -Weather delay

Day 9 leg 2 - KCHD VPFRB KBLH TRM KHMT VPLSA KFUL and we are home!!! -Weather delay

Day 10 Credit card maxed out for hotels and tiedowns

Day 11 Sell plane so I can pay fees and buy ticket home.

Day 12 Cellphone dead, no vaccine record, can't get airline ticket, hitch hiking home.

Stay tuned!

Seriously, I hope it's everything you imagine and even better.
Blessings.

Thank you for helping to make the average age of the single piston fleet a little younger. I hope you enjoy every minute of it.
Exactly! Doing my part! Seriously though, I wanted a used 182 but the price markup was ridiculous! And a new one was $610,000 way over my budget.

So it just seemed to make $en$e to buy this plane which will eventually be passed down to one of you!

Impressive! Superb!

What extras did you add?

Exactly! Doing my part! Seriously though, I wanted a used 182 but the price markup was ridiculous! And a new one was $610,000 way over my budget.

So it just seemed to make $en$e to buy this plane which will eventually be passed down to one of you!

Oh cool... you are going to “pass it down” to me, like an inheritance! Super nice of you! :cheers:

PS- take your time. I can wait a couple of years! ;)

It's been amazing to follow this story. I am starting to look into (i.e., research) getting my plane but I just don't see how I could muster the $ to swing a new P2010. I'll probably have to settle for an LSA or very old used plane (but even those are so expensive now). Good luck with pickup and your flight back. Ironically whenever I buy a plane will probably end up being my longest cross country by far when I have to ferry it back home.

If you are looking for a grass field during your training flights, stop by FD77. It is about 25 minutes west of Sebring. We have cheap gas.

I have been officially notified plane is ready for pickup on February 15!

Flying out commercial on Monday February 14, accept plane 15th, training and practice on 16, 17 and 18, start cross country to SoCal on Saturday the 19th. All Wx permitting!

I will continue to post experience and trip here. Couldn't be more excited!

I have been officially notified plane is ready for pickup on February 15!

Flying out commercial on Monday February 14, accept plane 15th, training and practice on 16, 17 and 18, start cross country to SoCal on Saturday the 19th. All Wx permitting!

I will continue to post experience and trip here. Couldn't be more excited!
Exciting! Make sure you keep us updated, should be a fun trip report

That's awesome. Looking forward to see the trip.

@FPK1 ... instead of Austin, can the members of the DFW contingent convince you to stop here to give us a chance to droll on it look at it and maybe entertain you with dinner?

Maybe get it featured in one of @SixPapaCharlie's vintage airplane advertisement videos.

@FPK1 ... instead of Austin, can the members of the DFW contingent convince you to stop here to give us a chance to droll on it look at it and maybe entertain you with dinner?

Maybe get it featured in one of @SixPapaCharlie's vintage airplane advertisement videos.
Thanks for the offer! Maybe next cross country east from California!

I don’t get the MOA concern. I am flying through them all the time, hot or not, flight following or not (I get FF if I can, but am often out of radar/radio range).

I flew in MOA’s often in pointy fast aircraft. I never fly in a hot MOA. At a minimum you are probably shutting down a portion of a very expensive training flight. On the other end of the spectrum you are exposing yourself to high speed rapidly maneuvering traffic.

Meh, I like to think about it as my tax payer funded personal air show. ;)

Meh, I like to think about it as my tax payer funded personal air show. ;)

I think about it as boasting you ignore designated military airspace which is much more important than you and your 130 kt spam can.

:facepalm:

Take a joke, let’s not get our panties in a bundle. The reality for some of us is that we are almost entirely surrounded by MOAs in all directions, often over the mountains where there is no radar or radio coverage, so you fly through MOAs. When we fly through hot MOAs and have radio coverage, it’s perfectly cordial - traffic alerts of dogfighting F-18s and pretty interesting. I have never gotten the impression that our presence is even an inconvenience to the controllers/military operators. But yes, go ahead, pile on, I know I’m a self-indulgent jerk and all that.

There are many MOAs along my route most of which I will be under. At least one I can't, I'll fly on the border of a restricted area and MOA remaining just inside the MOA.

:facepalm:

Take a joke, let’s not get our panties in a bundle. The reality for some of us is that we are almost entirely surrounded by MOAs in all directions, often over the mountains where there is no radar or radio coverage, so you fly through MOAs. When we fly through hot MOAs and have radio coverage, it’s perfectly cordial - traffic alerts of dogfighting F-18s and pretty interesting. I have never gotten the impression that our presence is even an inconvenience to the controllers/military operators. But yes, go ahead, pile on, I know I’m a self-indulgent jerk and all that.
It seems like half the country is a MOA. It's hard to go any distance without crossing multiple ones. I understand the need to train, but on the other hand there has to be a balance with not tying up the airspace, which is a public resource. If we are expected to avoid them completely (hint:we aren't) there needs to be about 1/4 as many.

I don't worry a lot about them when planning. I'm always talking to atc either through FF or IFR. If the MOA is active, they'll steer you around it. 90% of the time they aren't in my experience. I wouldn't recommend plowing through one NORDO, but I wouldn't call it immoral, just not real safe.

I think about it as boasting you ignore designated military airspace which is much more important than you and your 130 kt spam can.

MOAs are for a specific purpose, as defined by the FAA: "A military operations area (MOA) is airspace established outside of Class A airspace to separate or segregate certain non-hazardous military flight activities from IFR aircraft and to identify for VFR aircraft where these activities are conducted."

So what exactly is he boasting about ignoring?

There are many MOAs along my route most of which I will be under. At least one I can't, I'll fly on the border of a restricted area and MOA remaining just inside the MOA.
The one along the Florida Panhandle at Eglin is usually easy to fly through. If you're under 1,500', just give a Tyndall Approach a call when you're near Port St. Joe and tell them where you're going. They will usually let Elgin know you're coming and you get a nice beachfront tour.

The one along the Florida Panhandle at Eglin is usually easy to fly through. If you're under 1,500', just give a Tyndall Approach a call when you're near Port St. Joe and tell them where you're going. They will usually let Elgin know you're coming and you get a nice beachfront tour.

Backside of the sectional contains good info on that route:

sectional.PNG

I estimate I'm 2-3 weeks from delivery of this new Tecnam P2010 MkII (215 HP) in Sebring, FL.
Hi.
There was another person from KFUL, Adam C? that was going to get a P2010. I did not see him around but if you know him, or of him, you may want to touch bases with him.
He had a CTLSi 2015 that he sold, but I did not see him around the last year or so.

If we are expected to avoid them completely (hint:we aren't) there needs to be about 1/4 as many.

Yes, exactly. I don’t understand why there is such an uproar about flying through MOAs when it is perfectly legal to do so hot or cold, radar, radio, or not. And we do have a military airspace that is truly restricted: restricted areas. And if it will trigger the masses, I request to and fly through those too all the time.

By the way, when I said outside of radar/radio coverage, it’s really better put that I fly through without radio or flight following coverage. Primary return radar coverage goes waaaay past the point where you can get radio reception and flight following - this becomes clear when you are flying low and in the mountains are still find your full track on flightaware. I don’t think they have much trouble avoiding the spam cans.

Was in the air yesterday right at sundown and heard someone on Sebring CTAF announcing "Tecnam departing south". Your plane maybe?

Back