Options for resuming PPL training?

James Adkins

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
James
I am currently a student pilot that stopped training about 2 years ago at 35 hours for various reasons but the main reason is the Solo XC. I live on an island and in order to make my XC requirements, I would have to fly to an island 112NM away over the Pacific Ocean to satisfy the 50 mile requirement, the closest is just 48 miles away and won't work, unfortunately.

I have done this flight 5 times with my instructor for Dual and Night Dual XC but don't feel comfortable doing it solo in a single engine plane.

Does anyone have a flight school recommendation in Hawaii, or the West Coast USA that would be willing to continue my training so I don't waste the hours I have already accumulated? I have soloed and am studying for the written exam. I should be able to pass that no problem after refreshing my memory after 2 years.

What’s your planned use for the certificate after earning it? A fear of overwater flying in your circumstances might indicate very little use for the certificate after earning it.

Kona to Hilo counts as a XC as it's over 50 NM between the two. Of course, you'll probably have to go around the island, rather than direct, but it sure is scenic.

I wonder if you could 'reposition' for this cross country flight? Like maybe fly dual, then complete the cross country over less open water?

I would work on getting over that fear. What's the difference if you are alone or not? If the engine quits your still in the same predicament solo or dual.

What’s your planned use for the certificate after earning it? A fear of overwater flying in your circumstances might indicate very little use for the certificate after earning it.
Right. Do they still issue Recreational certificates? If so, the OP may be a good candidate.

Read FAR 61.111, it is written specifically for your circumstance.

I'm not scared of flying over water, done it 5 times already with no issues and only needed one correction the first time out. I don't feel confident or ready, even though my CFI thought I was ready. The flying is not a problem, it's the response to an emergency situation that bothers me. For example, we carry a life raft but I've never been shown how to deploy it. We haven't gone through some maneuvers, like go arounds, simulated engine out landings, etc. I guess there's a lot of what-if's going through my mind and the possibility of an engine out, getting knocked unconscious and drowning is the worst case scenario.

Also, I found out the FAA examiner is no longer here so I would have to travel to Hawaii anyway to take the exam and would probably need to get familiar with the area.

Your instructor signed you off for a 112 mile over-water XC and you haven't been trained on basic emergency maneuvers? Not to mention water ditching training? Does the training airplane have a 4 point harness?

I'm not scared of flying over water, done it 5 times already with no issues and only needed one correction the first time out. I don't feel confident or ready, even though my CFI thought I was ready. The flying is not a problem, it's the response to an emergency situation that bothers me. For example, we carry a life raft but I've never been shown how to deploy it. We haven't gone through some maneuvers, like go arounds, simulated engine out landings, etc. I guess there's a lot of what-if's going through my mind and the possibility of an engine out, getting knocked unconscious and drowning is the worst case scenario.

Also, I found out the FAA examiner is no longer here so I would have to travel to Hawaii anyway to take the exam and would probably need to get familiar with the area.

Like a lot of these posts, a little more information changes the story completely.

You need to clearly communicate to your instructor that you’re not confident about emergencies over water and be specific.

If they don’t listen, seriously consider talking to the school manager about it professionally and honestly, and see what they say.

An awful lot of this sort of stuff is miscommunication. Rarely does an instructor want to send you off feeling VERY unprepared or not confident. They know ALL students will have SOME nervousness about their solo XC, but sometimes they misjudge that you have a serious concern or a phobia.

Just talk to the instructor. And then if you have to the school management. This process should be an enjoyable one for you. Yes, there will be apprehension during the learning process and even some self-doubts, but if it’s more than that, speak up.

You’re paying for quality instruction that will be in your head your whole life, and literally will be what saves your life in a real emergency, so make it count. If it’s not going well, change something, but talk to them first.

What’s your planned use for the certificate after earning it?
I'm curious myself, is it just for recreation or an eventual career / legit mode of transportation

We haven't gone through some maneuvers, like go arounds, simulated engine out landings, etc.
I would feel unprepared too, so I don't blame you. I agree that you should communicate these concerns with your instructor honestly and openly

Your instructor signed you off for a 112 mile over-water XC and you haven't been trained on basic emergency maneuvers?
That surprised me too... 112nm is long enough that depending on conditions you'd spend a fair bit of time completely out of site of land.. I'd want all the emergency training I could get and invest in an Epirb

The whole thing is moot though because as Wheels put it above it sounds like you may be off the hook per 61.111:

61.111 Cross-country flights: Pilots based on small islands.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an applicant located on an island from which the cross-country flight training required in § 61.109 of this part cannot be accomplished without flying over water for more than 10 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline need not comply with the requirements of that section.

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.111

Your instructor signed you off for a 112 mile over-water XC and you haven't been trained on basic emergency maneuvers? Not to mention water ditching training? Does the training airplane have a 4 point harness?

We once did a simulated approach to a field, but never got below 1000' and never landed in a simulated engine out, never did a go-around, it was just explained to me. No ditching training at all. Airplane has a lap belt and a shoulder strap, so 3-point. It's a 1986 172P model with steam gauges that we usually fly in.

I'm curious myself, is it just for recreation or an eventual career / legit mode of transportation

This is for recreation, not career or commercial. Flying to other islands in our archipelago will be done for fun.

That surprised me too... 112nm is long enough that depending on conditions you'd spend a fair bit of time completely out of site of land.. I'd want all the emergency training I could get and invest in an Epirb

Yeah, from PGUM to PGSN you pass by PGRO at 49NM, then PGWT 54NM, then PGSN 10NM. Between PGUM and PGRO and PGRO to PGWT you can't see land at all. It's almost always partially cloudy and not unusual to mistake a cloud shadow for land, even at 9500'.

The whole thing is moot though because as Wheels put it above it sounds like you may be off the hook per 61.111:

61.111 Cross-country flights: Pilots based on small islands.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an applicant located on an island from which the cross-country flight training required in § 61.109 of this part cannot be accomplished without flying over water for more than 10 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline need not comply with the requirements of that section.

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.111

I saw this but if I want to fly outside of Guam, I would still need to complete the XC at some later date. I guess the question is if I get the PPL with the restriction indicated, would I have to do another checkride after completing a XC, say in Arizona or Hawaii, or do I just have to submit my logbook entry to get the restriction removed?

Thanks for the responses.

Ima little concerned about your CFI in preparing you. You should know how to deploy the life raft, accomplish a simulated forced landing (I have mine actually land out of one if possible), and definitely go-arounds. What else hasn't been taught to you I wonder.

Back