Options for One-month Fulltime Flying Job

tlglenn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ted
I plan on taking one month's vacation from my current job sometime between October 1 of this year and July 31 of next year. I'd like to take on a full time, temporary, flying job during that month. What are the best options for building lots of flying time during that month?

I'm working on the CFI and I plan on that being something I would do on weekends and early mornings or evenings on an ongoing basis. So I'm looking for non-CFI jobs.

I was thinking about busy dropzones (I have tons of C182 time). What else should I look at? I think an issue would be a place not wanting to invest too much in training me if I'm going to be around just one month (although I can work relatively cheap since I'll have income from my regular job coming in provided I can cover my temporary living expenses).

I did that in college but i went back to an operation where i had worked before and already had the work connections, type ratings, etc. I cant imagine anyplace you can go fly "a lot" in a single month as a "tourist" and get paid for it.

If you want to just take a month long vacation and fly, why not just buy a kitfox, avid, etc off barnstormers and go on a low&slow tour of the lower 48? When you're done, sell it or fold up the wings and store it somewhere cheap until the next time.

You might try a summer job towing banners,doubt any one will hire for a month.

I plan on taking one month's vacation from my current job sometime between October 1 of this year and July 31 of next year. I'd like to take on a full time, temporary, flying job during that month. What are the best options for building lots of flying time during that month?

I'm working on the CFI and I plan on that being something I would do on weekends and early mornings or evenings on an ongoing basis. So I'm looking for non-CFI jobs.

I was thinking about busy dropzones (I have tons of C182 time). What else should I look at? I think an issue would be a place not wanting to invest too much in training me if I'm going to be around just one month (although I can work relatively cheap since I'll have income from my regular job coming in provided I can cover my temporary living expenses).

Doubt a DZ would bother with you for just a month, especially without prior DZ time, especially a busy DZ.

Somewhat on this subject, where does one go to find these banner towing or DZ jobs? I've seen plenty of listings for CFI's and pilots for charter operations, but nothing for the more basic flying that everyone talks about.

Somewhat on this subject, where does one go to find these banner towing or DZ jobs? I've seen plenty of listings for CFI's and pilots for charter operations, but nothing for the more basic flying that everyone talks about.

Are you a career pilot?

Normally folks in the industry know where to look. If you're honestly looking for a first or second flying job PM me and I'll shoot you a link or two.

Is this a serious question? if you want to alk to a banner towing outfit, look one up in the phone book and call them. Ditto for a dropzone.

Is this a serious question? if you want to alk to a banner towing outfit, look one up in the phone book and call them. Ditto for a dropzone.

Only it's not the "phone book" any more. I'm amazed that people even pay to advertise in the physical phone book. I notice it's getting thinner every year as I toss it in the recycle bin without opening it. :D

just go and tell everyone you're a pro pilot....someone is bound to hire you. :lol:

That's how I started as a Diver Driver...just showed up at the DZ and started talking to people. Next thing I knew, I was in their 182 dropping people. Graduated from there on to another company and their C206, C208, and C90. Lots of fun.

You might try a summer job towing banners,doubt any one will hire for a month.
That can be an option, but the only issue is going to be the training. Unless you already have training and time towing banners, not many banner tow outfits are going to train you to get only a month's work out of you.

Are you a career pilot?

Normally folks in the industry know where to look. If you're honestly looking for a first or second flying job PM me and I'll shoot you a link or two.

Nope, just a private pilot working on an IR and planning on working my way up. I wouldn't say I'm part of the industry yet, which is why I was asking. I'm still a ways away from getting paid for anything in a plane, but I'm always open to suggestions on what direction to head in.

Are you commercial rated? If not than I don't think there is anything out there for you.

Talk to the manufacturers. A guy I knew in college delivered new planes during the summer.

Nope, just a private pilot working on an IR and planning on working my way up. I wouldn't say I'm part of the industry yet, which is why I was asking. I'm still a ways away from getting paid for anything in a plane, but I'm always open to suggestions on what direction to head in.

Gotcha, google diver driver, also there are jobs posted on dropzone for DZ pilots, plus a diver driver group on FB. Good way to get time fast, many DZs want 500TT, but with enough persistence and gas for your car you can get into a 182 somewhere with a barebones CPL.

Keep in mind flying jumpers is very easy until it isn't, there is a huge amount of responsibility and you better be on your game and have thought out all emergencies, ie what would you do if someone got hung up on the plane, engine failure after rotation, etc, identify the problem and execute the solution, have your memory items down pat, always wear a emergincy rig and carry a big hook knife.

Last edited:
Back