Options for a cracked case...?

I disagree. If you're going to split the case then the incremental to write it up as a major OH isn't that much.

Says who.. read FAR 43.2, then ask your self, "are you required to meet test standards of the overhaul manual on a repair"?

I sure wish I could JB weld the crack and forget about it! FWIW the engine TT is 4500 or so hours, not 6000 plus. I mixed up the numbers between the airframe and the engine.

At the last overhaul iin 2006 the case went to Divco, new titan cylinders, cam and lifters were new and it looks like the crank was re-used after servicing at aircraft specialties.

Poplar says 10-12K to disassemble, replace bearings and seals and send the case to divco for repair then re-assemble. Of course, he was up front that something else could be found which I understand is possible. I don't expect the cylinders would need replacing, a compression test was just done(76 on all cylinders). I called them because they are close and have a very good reputation.

I'm not comfortable with flying it anywhere. FBO at the airport wants 2500 to R&I the engine. I'm debating the idea of pulling and installing it myself with AP guidance and sign off.

I knew at some point I'd need engine work done, I sure didn't expect it would be 95 hours after purchase. Boo.

6000 TT says to me unless the crank was replaced before, its probably junk too.

Buying a case and crank outright is not exactly economical.

good thing you aren't the one making the call. I'd take his 6000hr crank over a new one

Poplar says 10-12K to disassemble, replace bearings and seals and send the case to divco for repair then re-assemble.

FBO at the airport wants 2500 to R&I the engine. I'm debating the idea of pulling and installing it myself with AP guidance and sign off.

:eek:

You told them it was a Archer and not a Meridian, right? There's maybe about $2k in parts and rework of the case and a day's labor to change it. Even two days doesn't equal over $10k. And how does the FBO figure $2500 to R&I? Half a day to pull and one day to install, if you're slow. If they were any good they'd be offering to swap the case in house. A 360 ain't rocket science.

I don't know what's all involved with the engine itself but I do think 32 hours is a high estimate for R&I which is why I'm thinking about doing it myself with supervision. I've been a diesel tech for 15+ years, have every tool in the book and I know how to use em.

I don't know what's all involved with the engine itself but I do think 32 hours is a high estimate for R&I which is why I'm thinking about doing it myself with supervision. I've been a diesel tech for 15+ years, have every tool in the book and I know how to use em.

If you are a diesel tech.. You will have NO problem R&R ing the motor and you can probably tear it down and rebuild it better then 99% of the A&P's out there..
:yes:

good thing you aren't the one making the call. I'd take his 6000hr crank over a new one

Even when it has been re-ground to the limit, and is now in need of re-grinding?

6k hours it's getting there.

Amazing how many people are ready to throw away parts they read about on the internet. OP, i would make no assumptions about anything in your engine until you take it apart and measure the parts.

no reason it can't go another 2-4,000 hours. :no:

What's going to happen when you install the smallest bearing set and it is too large?

You think you have a crack now? wait till the crank throws a rod thru the case.

As someone who's dealt extensively with race car engines in my younger years, I know how it works for the most part. The engine runs great and if it weren't for the crack I'd assume nothing is amiss. No assumptions will be made at this time.... We will see what the tear down reveals and go from there.

As someone who's dealt extensively with race car engines in my younger years, I know how it works for the most part. The engine runs great and if it weren't for the crack I'd assume nothing is amiss. No assumptions will be made at this time.... We will see what the tear down reveals and go from there.

Yup...

Me too....

You are WELL ahead of 99% of the population in knowing what is good and what will have a " unintended instant dissassembly... = UID...:D

Back