Opposite rudder in a steep turn

Anyone notice all (Reno) pylon races turn left?
I can't think of any, other than the Red Bull races, where they turn to the right.
Could possibly be because pilot sits left?
Really not sure how those planes are set up however.

I don't recall ever seeing a side-by-side airplane at Reno. None that were memorable, at least. :)

I don't recall ever seeing a side-by-side airplane at Reno. None that were memorable, at least. :)
In 1970, due to a dispute with the T-6 racing class, the Reno National Air Races invited five Staggerwings to perform a demonstration race. Two G models and two D17 models raced. The five pilots were Bryant Morris, Bert Jensen, Don Clark, Noel Gourselle, and Phil Livingston, the only pilot to have prior racing experience in the T-6 Class. The race was flawless with ABC Wide World of Sports Coverage but protesting T-6 racers prevented the class from future competition with allegations of safety issues.
http://aircraftnut.blogspot.com/2014/06/unusual-suspect-beech-17-43-traveller.html?m=1

Somewhere there's video online. :cool:

Anyone notice all (Reno) pylon races turn left?
I can't think of any, other than the Red Bull races, where they turn to the right.
Ever wonder which way Immelmann originally rolled in his Eindecker? Engine spinning with the prop, and wing warping for roll control.:eek:

What is this ball you guys keep mentioning? I just try and keep the moving bottom of the triangle under the top part. I’m just a crappy GA pilot so all this 90 degree bank stuff scares me. I figure if I maintain the triangle at all times except maybe in a crosswind landing, I’m less likely to die. That and keep the flight path marker inside the rectangles, the little plane on the magenta line in the moving map, my plane away from the diamonds on the traffic display and away from the red blotches on the radar display I should be good. Someday I might even get to look outside the windscreen.
Your balls are square..... actually rectangular.

You mean like all of the Lancairs and Glasairs that run in the Sport Class?

STIHL-plane.jpg

Back