• Option B

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

machkhatib

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mach
Hello folks. My avionics shop is installing a new Garmin G5 in my Cherokee 140 and slightly rearranging my panel at the same time. I have two choices on how to set this up. Please chime in with which you think is better, option A or B:

https://imgur.com/a/zrmuS1u

Before you ask, we are dealing with a couple constraints: First, the VSI has a smaller, non-standard hole size in the bottom center of the panel (below the G5). Second, the directional gyro cannot be installed in the bottom right hole due to interference with objects behind the panel.

B is kind of a more traditional 6 pack, with the top and bottom just offset. I can’t comment on how an IR/IFR scan would benefit.

B is kind of a more traditional 6 pack, with the top and bottom just offset. I can’t comment on how an IR/IFR scan would benefit.

That’s the thought behind Option B, though the offset seems more awkward to use than Option A. None of the instruments are where you’d expect in a traditional 6-pack with either option but at least they are all in the same rectangle in Option A. The other thought I had was upgradability. It probably makes more sense to add a 2nd G5 HSI in the place of the DG in Option A because then the G5’s would be side-by-side. Add a second G5 to Option B and they would be diagonal from each other.

I'm kind of split, actually.

In the hopes of adding something useful, let's consider what you're looking at when the G5 is peachy-keen: you'll probably be using the airspeed, altitude and TC on the G5 and not the other gauges. When the G5 goes belly up, what's your scan going to be like?

I'd sure like a second G5 for that partial panel situation, though.

How much more time/money would the installing shop need in order to cut a new panel that would provide a standard panel layout?

I'd go with A because your scanned area is going to be a lot smaller.

How much more time/money would the installing shop need in order to cut a new panel that would provide a standard panel layout?

The short answer from the avionics shop is it cannot be done. First, cutting a new panel would be a major modification and would be a major undertaking. Second, even if we went through all the hassle of cutting a new panel, due to the depth of the DG, placing the DG in the bottom center of the six pack would not be compatible with what is behind the panel - specifically, the chain drive.

I'd go with A because your scanned area is going to be a lot smaller.

That was my thought, too. I am going with Option A. Thanks for all the input!

You could also do "A-2". Use the "A" option, but flip the DG and altimeter (put DG lower right, altimeter upper right).

When you get your eventual second G5 to use as an HSI you can put it where the DG (lower right) would be. Move your first G5 (AHRS) to upper right so both G5's are on on top of each other. As you now have redundancy, you could remove the altimeter altogether and basically have a steam glass cockpit primarily using two G5's.

Last edited:
I would go with A because the altitude split between the G5 and the standard will drive you insane if they are right next to each other while under the hood.

You could also do "A-2". Use the "A" option, but flip the DG and altimeter (put DG lower right, altimeter upper right).

When you get your eventual second G5 to use an an HSI you can put it where the DG (lower right) would be. Move your first G5 (AHRS) to upper right so both G5's are on on top of each other. As you now have redundancy, you could remove the altimeter altogether and basically have a steam glass cockpit primarily using two G5's.
The G5 is not certified primary for altimeter.

This was my preference, too, but due to the location of the chain drive behind the panel, the DG cannot be in the lower-right location. Only a shallow instrument can occupy the lower-right location.

Would a g5 or a 275 be shallow enough to go into lower right?

If it wont fit in lower right, go with B, and put a traditional VSI in the lower right hand corner. Then when you eventually get the second G5 for an HSI, put it where your DG will have ended up (lower level, left of yoke and right of turn coordinator).

You'll have the traditional six pack in the correct order - albeit skewed a bit, but workable.

Last edited:
If I were in your position, I don’t think I would let the depth of the DG control the decision. I would try something different.

Back