Opinions on when to get my IPC

ISU_Radar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
B. J.
After getting back into the saddle last year, I am needing to go and get my IPC. I am hoping you fine folks here would grace me with your opinions on my "dilemma". My plane is currently in the shop getting some new avionics and autopilot to get it back up to par. One of the items going in is a G5 to replace my DG as it hasn't been working consistently and is why I didn't get my IPC sooner. Should I wait the 3-ish weeks to start my IPC, or just rent a plane now and get it taken care of sooner. If I go with the later, it could allow me to pick up my plane from the shop even if the weather is a bit dodgy when the time comes. I'm personally a bit torn. The weather has been pretty good for this time of year around my parts, and it is paining me not to be able to punch holes in the sky. Thoughts?

G5s are not hard to fly, but there are some transition issues getting used to them and how to interoperate them with your other avionics. You do NOT want to do that in your first IFR flight. Spend a few hours getting acquainted with operating the G5s, then use your IPC as a chance to work the G5s under the hood. In the end the G5s are pretty awesome devices.

G5s are not hard to fly, but there are some transition issues getting used to them and how to interoperate them with your other avionics. You do NOT want to do that in your first IFR flight.
Even if I knew G5s like the back of my hand I still wouldn't want to fly in dodgy weather straight out of the avionics shop. You never know if the installer didn't quite hook everything up right.

All post Mx flights in severe VFR wx only, that’s what I stick with.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions. You all brought up some great points, and affirmed my gut feeling. I will wait until I get the plane back to go after my IPC.

You don't want to pick up a plane with new avionics in dodgy weather. Bad idea jeans, big time.
I picked up a 182 for a guy, and flew it halfway across the country VFR, probably giving RAs to jets in the flight levels...when I later flew it IFR, I was informed that my encoder was saying I was in the high 20s/low 30s when I used cabin heat. :eek:

I picked up a 182 for a guy, and flew it halfway across the country VFR, probably giving RAs to jets in the flight levels...when I later flew it IFR, I was informed that my encoder was saying I was in the high 20s/low 30s when I used cabin heat. :eek:
Oopsie. So much for the IFR transponder check, lol.

Stuff like that never happens... ;)

7855.jpeg

I remember coming back from the east side of Washington and having SEA center ask me when I was going to continue my climb to 10,000. I was already there. The encoder in the transponder had frozen around 7,XXX feet. Turned off Mode C and told them what my altitude was the rest of the way home. So, stuff happens.

Back