Oops

Sounds like at least three people busted the TFR today :(

Sounds like at least three people busted the TFR today :(

Wonder if they evacuated him three separate times? “Ok Mr. President it’s safe to come back… er, hold that thought.”

I've been keeping an eye on that TFR because I'm planning flights to WWD and OXB tomorrow/Monday. Apparently, if the TFR got extended I would need to file a VFR flight plan to the airports in question, then request a squawk code prior to entering the outer ring? I've never tried it.

I'd hope that if anyone here becomes president they'd tell the secret service that general aviation was never a threat to the president. All it does is highlight where he is.
I’d hope that if anyone here becomes president they would tell the ss that the tfr isn’t doing squat and most GA plane could crash on him before they could do squat about it.

Not really.

I'd hope that if anyone here becomes president they'd tell the secret service that general aviation was never a threat to the president. All it does is highlight where he is.

Have we ever had a President with a pilots certificate? VP?

The best part of the busts is watching and seeing the fighter jet intercept.

Have we ever had a President with a pilots certificate? VP?

Eisenhower also:

"His mission was to find a plane to go back and forth to the farm, and to make other short trips. The Colonel chose one of the most popular executive transports of the day, the Aero Commander 560A, and the Air Force ordered several for the President’s use. The Air Force designated the planes the L-26. Himself a pilot, Ike often took the controls of the Aero Commander, enjoying the opportunity to fly."
landscape_profile_540x360_web_2105_IkesBird_ScottSlocum.jpg

I don't think anyone on POA has a chance of being president. Most people here seem to have some actual life and work experience, and that doesn't line up with current politics.

Wasn't Bob Hoover involved in demoing that aircraft for the AF? That would be a great transport even today. We don't need the capability for an airborne command post anymore, that would be fine. Or just clear out first class and put him on a Delta flight with everyone else.

The registry shows when the latest certificate was issued, not when the first one was issued. For example, mine says 2021 when I got my ASES rating but the original was back 50+ Years earlier. So I doubt the one listed for GW is his original, or maybe he didn’t get one after his tour in the Guard as a pilot and decided to get one at 69 for a souvenir.

Cheers

I don't think anyone on POA has a chance of being president. Most people here seem to have some actual life and work experience, and that doesn't line up with current politics.

Wasn't Bob Hoover involved in demoing that aircraft for the AF? That would be a great transport even today. We don't need the capability for an airborne command post anymore, that would be fine. Or just clear out first class and put him on a Delta flight with everyone else.
I'd be happy with a G650 or whatever they're up to now as opposed to the 747s.

I've been keeping an eye on that TFR because I'm planning flights to WWD and OXB tomorrow/Monday. Apparently, if the TFR got extended I would need to file a VFR flight plan to the airports in question, then request a squawk code prior to entering the outer ring? I've never tried it.
I haven't tried it either, but yes, file/squawk/talk like it says. You can't piggyback on an SFRA plan, I asked :(

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/operating-in-a-tfr.131424/#post-3066239

Is there a legal difference between busting a restricted area and a Potus TRF? I never thought to ask the question of "what happens". Go to prison, revoke/suspended license, impound/confiscate aircraft, a good talking to with additional training?

Is there a legal difference between busting a restricted area and a Potus TRF? I never thought to ask the question of "what happens". Go to prison, revoke/suspended license, impound/confiscate aircraft, a good talking to with additional training?

We had a lot of busts in NJ for four years. The TFR covered a big part of the width of the state, with many airports affected. I recall there were over 130 busts in the first few months. The Secret Service finally scheduled a pilot meeting in Bedminster, also inviting the Allentown Tracon, and one of the intercept pilots to speak.

It was pretty interesting. Standard procedure for an intercept was to instruct the pilot where to land, coordinate with local police to hold the pilot there until the Secret Service could arrive for the 'good talking to'. What would happen next depended on the circumstances of the bust and how the talk went, but we didn't get specifics, and I didn't know anyone who actually went through it.

Apparently a lot of the early busts were pilots at small airports under the TFR, who 'knew' the floor where radar coverage started at their airport. They'd go out to do pattern work figuring they'd be invisible, and the airborne radar they hadn't anticipated would pick them up.

They're launching AWACS to protect a VIP flight? That's like using the 82nd Airborne to protect the little rascals clubhouse...

TFR bust are common in the Capitol area.

Interesting subject, the interview with the Federal Officer, after landing. I have spoken to about 6 such pilots.

The best outcomes result from an apologetic attitude. Do not pretend ignorance, just miss understanding the details.

Any defensive attitude does not end well, and can result in FAA meetings to discuss your understanding of the rules. None of them cared to be quoted in any way.

Camp David is the regular hit around here, when occupied by POTUS.

Last edited:
I’d hope that if anyone here becomes president they would tell the ss that the tfr isn’t doing squat and most GA plane could crash on him before they could do squat about it.

Not really.
Let us know how your chat with the Secret Service went after you made this post..... :)

As noted about the TFRs,
All it does is highlight where he is.

Let us know how your chat with the Secret Service went after you made this post..... :)
I used to have a chief pilot who almost got us one of those chats because he was trying to impress some woman with his “connections” by knowing when the prez was planning to land in Portland (or wherever we were) the next day.

But what about the legal consequences? I agree that going a few hundred feet and a few thousand miles makes a difference. As a new to the block, I'm just wondering.

Military pilots must have to do some serious slow flight to intercept the typical GA airplane.

I thought H60s are the typical intercept aircraft.
They use MH65s here, but the two people I know who were intercepted got an F-16 and F-15.

It's a good idea to listen to guard.

Back