Ooh what a lucky man he was.

Yeah this sucks. First Emo, now Greg. Punks today have no idea what they missed.

The "prog rock" bands were and still are the top of the heap in my mind. They are still better than anything since. Kids today have been suckered in to what is called music. Sad to see but it is about the end of the line for the great bands.

I tried to get our oldest son to listen to some Pink Floyd, he complained that there wasn't enough singing during the opening to "shine on you crazy diamond" !! I almost lost it.

Freebird....:D

0uG0c01.gif

Yeah this sucks. First Emo, now Greg. Punks today have no idea what they missed.
I'm actually 21 years old, defiantly qualifying me as "punk today" but overall yes, my peers have no idea what "real" rock was. Kayne west, Beyoncé, you've got to be kidding me!

The "prog rock" bands were and still are the top of the heap in my mind. They are still better than anything since. Kids today have been suckered in to what is called music. Sad to see but it is about the end of the line for the great bands.

I tried to get our oldest son to listen to some Pink Floyd, he complained that there wasn't enough singing during the opening to "shine on you crazy diamond" !! I almost lost it.
My dad probably would have taken me over his knee :) (not really, before anybody has a tissy)

ELP is one of my favorites, and Keith Emerson was my musical hero. Now Greg's gone too, what a tough year it's been for musicians.
When Keith died, I was devastated. Such a brilliant mind, and to lose such a talent to suicide, it's a shame. Rest In Peace you two.I had "carn Evil 9" blasting form the stereo in respects to two of rocks gods.

When Keith died, I was devastated. Such a brilliant mind, and to lose such a talent to suicide, it's a shame. Rest In Peace you two.I had "carn Evil 9" blasting form the stereo in respects to two of rocks gods.

Argh. Same here. How I wished I had the talent of Keith's pinkie finger in both my hands when I was a teenager discovering synths. When I moved once, I tossed a ton of old "Keyboard" magazines, but kept the one Keith signed for me after a "3" concert in Atlanta in 1988. He had been battling nerve damage since the early 90's IIRC.

ELP is one of my favorites, and Keith Emerson was my musical hero. Now Greg's gone too, what a tough year it's been for musicians.

I don't think it was mentioned here, but one of my top three favorite bass players - Chris Squire - passed last year. That sucked.

Out all the stuff Greg recorded, this seems especially appropriate.

It sucks to see your musical heroes fall to Father Time, but I'll be eternally grateful for having been young when they were at their peak.

Yeah, as far as entertainers or celebs are concerned, when a great musician dies it does affect me far more than when an actor, athlete or other celeb dies. Still, their work lives on and we will always have that.

Yeah, as far as entertainers or celebs are concerned, when a great musician dies it does affect me far more than when an actor, athlete or other celeb dies. Still, their work lives on and we will always have that.

Well said brother, so true.

...I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news
But she just smiled and turned away
I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd heard the music years before
But the man there said the music wouldn't play

And in the streets the children screamed
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed
But not a word was spoken
The church bells all were broken
And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died...

Here's a combo video I put together. It includes flying, a tribute to Greg Lake and a nudge for getting in the Christmas mood.

Back