One less reason to fly United

EHITCH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Elizabeth
Coming home from CT yesterday, flew UAL direct from BDL to ORD, Capt. Lenahan (sp?) refused to turn on Channel 9 so we could hear the comm. What's up, big guy (whoever you are)? What's the problem with letting your paying passengers hear what's going on between you and ATC? There are so few amenities left on any airline, you'd think the pilots would provide any kind of diversion they could.
Actually, I used to get a real charge out of listening to the chatter, less so now, but it just ticked me off that it wasn't available. I surely did not want to listen to the Chatty Cathy seated to my right.
OK, rant over.
Elizabeth

I try not to fly United because they go through Chicago. I hate everything about the city.

I have had many bad experiences on United, mostly because of the Flight Attendants, a few for mechanical difficulties (no worries, I understand mechanical difficulties happen). Channel 9 is the only reason I continue to fly on United. Everyone else in my family flies Southwest because they're cheaper, but aside for a few occasions, I try to avoid budget airlines and support United....I can't explain why since the employees seem so mean (except the pilots).

I certainly hope they're not getting rid of Channel 9.

Well, I feel lucky. I've only flown AA and BA. I have fond memories of UA, but that was from many years ago.

Here goes nothing.....tell me how not getting more than the seat you paid for justifies the complaint? It's an intercontinental bus, if you want to distract yourself from the flight bring a book or CD player. Hey, use the time to study for that next rating.

Richard said:
Well, I feel lucky. I've only flown AA and BA. I have fond memories of UA, but that was from many years ago.

Here goes nothing.....tell me how not getting more than the seat you paid for justifies the complaint? It's an intercontinental bus, if you want to distract yourself from the flight bring a book or CD player. Hey, use the time to study for that next rating.

I'll try the answer (from my mind). Its a highly competetive field. United Airlines charges more for a ticket than other airlines like Southwest. Why is a ticket on an airline that continues to need help from our tax dollars worth more than a ticket on, say, Southwest, who offers just a seat.

Another part of me agrees with you though Richard. My only thing is that I put up with horrible customer service from United on a regular basis (regular for me, I only fly once or twice a year). Channel 9 is the only thing that keeps me flying United.

SkyHog said:
I'll try the answer (from my mind). Its a highly competetive field. United Airlines charges more for a ticket than other airlines like Southwest. Why is a ticket on an airline that continues to need help from our tax dollars worth more than a ticket on, say, Southwest, who offers just a seat.

Another part of me agrees with you though Richard. My only thing is that I put up with horrible customer service from United on a regular basis (regular for me, I only fly once or twice a year). Channel 9 is the only thing that keeps me flying United.

If it eliminates "festival seating" I'll go anywhere besides SWA ! Fortunately, don't fly airlines much so that may be passe.

That's one good reason to being a "SP/PP". At least you can fly yourself/family and not have to worry about going commercial.

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Dakota Duce said:
That's one good reason to being a "SP/PP". At least you can fly yourself/family and not have to worry about going commercial.

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"
What is SP/PP?

I haven't flown on any airline since 1999 and I won't unless I have to for something real special! :hairraise:

SkyHog said:

Oh bloody hell, we could have a whole economics course on this. The seat is 'worth' what the consumer thinks it's worth. If what you get doesn't meet your expections you feel shortchanged. Conversely, if the product or service exceeds your perceived value you feel you made out. The simple answer is you shouldn't buy it if you feel it's not worth the asking price. It's really quite simple, so simple in fact that I feel like I am misssing something.

If Nick, as example, feels he's justified in paying a higher price for less service because he doesn't fly that much then he's satisfied (on a sliding scale). I suspect even if they cancel Chan 9 he'll fly UA--because he doesn't fly that much and UA has become a known quantity for him.

But what about the more frequent traveler who absolutely, positively has to be somewhere on a regular schedule? Do the airlines have such a stranglehold on the routes that for the consumer it's take it or leave it? That would be completely contradictory to a highly competitive industry in an unregulated market.

Methinks the consumer has done themselves in by settling for marginal value. Consumer complaint works in every other industry so why not here? (I'm speculating based on the premise that consumers have adopted such an accomodating attitude.) One explanation for this 'settling' is because airline seats are a commodity and are viewed as such by the flying public.

A gallon of milk is a commodity too. If I have a legit complaint I can return for refund. Don't the airlines offer concessions or refunds to those with legit complaints? It nevers hurts to ask. My wife who travels about 4 times/yr has gotten free upgrades, deeply discounted tix for future flights, etc because she doesn't hesitate to say something when something goes awry. Of course, she also compliments them on a job well done. She's in the computer, the airlines call her office offering incentives all the time.

My brother flies commercial--a lot! Other than layovers I have not heard him complain about the service. Yeah, he's just one guy but I do not think he's in the minority.

Last edited:
AWE man,,,,,,,,,,,,, I thought this was a message stating why we shouldn't join the mile high club.

Well, United and their partners had me parked in their seats for about 80,000 miles this year. Others padded the total to over 100,000 miles for the year all told. 5 continents. I wish I could avoid commercial air travel, but it is an occupational hazard for me. That said, as much as we like to bash United, they beat the heck out of an airline that I flew between Europe and South Africa - Lufthansa. I don't care if I NEVER fly Lufthansa again. Can you say - NO LEG ROOM in Coach? At least my knees aren't in the back of the seat in front of me in Economy Plus on United.

Channel 9 is at the Captain's discretion. So it says in the magazine. Most turn it on. A few don't. Oh well...

NC19143 said:
AWE man,,,,,,,,,,,,, I thought this was a message stating why we shouldn't join the mile high club.
I thought it was untied. I'm gonna' show up barefoot and wearing a stripped djabeli next time I have to fly.

Richard said:
Oh bloody hell, .

I dunno Richard, it sounds like you may be making it too simple. Obviously, the seat will grab the money that the market will pay, but that could be why United is in such financial ruin right now (and yes, I know its getting better).

There was a time when airlines offered much more than just a seat as a way of getting people to choose their airline over the competetors. There was a time when flight attendants seemed to care. I know there are still good ones out there, just like with any industry, but of the last 6 flights I've taken, I've probably run across one or two good ones, and both of them were on Southwest.

I'm at work and bored, so here's an example of overpricing of a one way flight from Los Angeles to La Guardia on January 11th.

United Airlines
Cheapest Fare: $154.90
One Stop at ORD
Boeing 767 and Airbus A320

American Airlines
Cheapest Fare: $168
One Stop at FLL (Seriously!!)
Boeing 757 and Boeing 737

Southwest Airlines
Cheapest Fare: $114
One stop at MDW
Boeing 737

The United and Southwest are almost identical flights...what is the difference? To me, channel 9 makes the United flight worth it. It makes the flight go by a lot quicker. What makes United worth more money? Certainly not the customer service. Definitely not nicer and more comfortable chairs. I really don't know the answer, but I suspect the answer is why Southwest is profitable and United needs the government's help to survive.

I'm no economics major or anything, but it seems to me that whatever makes an airline worth using is what keeps people coming. Take away stuff without changing the price...you lose customers.

SkyHog said:
I dunno Richard, it sounds like you may be making it too simple. Obviously, the seat will grab the money that the market will pay, but that could be why United is in such financial ruin right now (and yes, I know its getting better).
Thanks for the come back, Nick. Aviation (Pt 121) is such a wacky game, I really don't know how they do it. Just when I think I have a good working knowledge of their fee structure they change the whole ball. And then their price offerings--who can figure that out??? I doubt it's tied to the market, it's more like they got a ouiji board in the board room. The industry is in ruin mainly because of corporate raiding in cahoots with a silly ass union (That'll net me lots of points) which is hell bent to make concession after concession as long as the top brass gets theirs. It's like the carriers and the union are in cahoots.

If that sounds contradictory to what I said in my earlier post about perhaps the consumer bearing responsibilty for the shoddy service it is not. Previously I was talking about the level of service, here I'm talking about continued profit taking.

People are flying, they have a real need to fly, they will pay almost anything to get a reliable carrier. The carriers shift their structure so much that consumer loyalty has fallen of markedly because the consumer has become so confused as to what constitutes a good value. By default, they fall back to price. Always does the consumer fall back to price. And with the current bankruptcy laws and a glad handing US Congress the carriers have litle incentive to keep the consumer in mind; more likely, they have every incentive to shine on the consumer.

Also, with Wal-Mart, Costco, Home Depot and the consumer's whetted appetite for steep discounts which allows those companies to not just thrive but excell coupled with marginal consumer loyalty and transportation needs the carriers can price a seat any which way they want (changes daily even on the same routes within the same season) and the public will take it. Remember, the carriers change tactics so often the consumer has become unable to recognize value. Among so many factors which have changed the public's perception of what constitutes a good value and what is discount there is one thing which stands out prominently. Back then, companies offered those things as part of the total package. Nowadays, companies charge for each little thing. The FAA mandates seatbelts but if the didn't you could imagine the carriers would charge extra for seatbelts. Perhaps they do already. Head sets for the in-flight movie is another; back then the were given to you. Today, it'll cost your $5, cash only please. You get my point.

There was a time when airlines offered much more than just a seat as a way of getting people to choose their airline over the competetors. There was a time when flight attendants seemed to care. I know there are still good ones out there, just like with any industry, but of the last 6 flights I've taken, I've probably run across one or two good ones, and both of them were on Southwest.
Ah, the good ol days....Yeah, the stews were trained nurses too...at one time and IBM was a really good employer if you could just get on with them. Even the consumer is to blame. Just get me from A-->B, no delay. Why pay for those frivolous amenities when all I want is to get to my destination? I want low cost! Nay, I want the lowest cost. Other than the select international traveler I doubt many folks are willing to pay a premium price. In this regard you could say the carriers are being reactive to the demands of the consumer.

I'm at work and bored, so here's an example of overpricing of a one way flight from Los Angeles to La Guardia on January 11th.

United Airlines
Cheapest Fare: $154.90
One Stop at ORD
Boeing 767 and Airbus A320

American Airlines
Cheapest Fare: $168
One Stop at FLL (Seriously!!)
Boeing 757 and Boeing 737

Southwest Airlines
Cheapest Fare: $114
One stop at MDW
Boeing 737

The United and Southwest are almost identical flights...what is the difference? To me, channel 9 makes the United flight worth it. It makes the flight go by a lot quicker. What makes United worth more money? Certainly not the customer service. Definitely not nicer and more comfortable chairs. I really don't know the answer, but I suspect the answer is why Southwest is profitable and United needs the government's help to survive.

I'm no economics major or anything, but it seems to me that whatever makes an airline worth using is what keeps people coming. Take away stuff without changing the price...you lose customers.
Those aren't examples of overpricing, they only show the price offerings made through whatever your source was. I could go to, say, 4 different on-line ticketing sources and get as many different prices for the same seat on the same route for the same day. But that is only tangental; how do you define overpricing? Perhaps the other cariers are more underpriced than some. The point is the price is set according to a great many and disparate factors, subject to change. Do you really think a 757 with 84 pax LAX-LGA with a stop in ORD is even breaking even at those prices? Someone is subsidizing them, whether it be the business section or, yes, your tax dollars.

You really must quit using the term, worth, it is such a subjective term that it carries different meanings for different folks. Having Chan 9 may make enduring horrible service worth it to you but others may think you are nuts to base the price on such an esoteric amenity. As long as they have a seat and the engines work people will continue to board the flight. They have to because of the need to transport themselves further than the next block or the next town and do it in a day or less.

I'm not an economist either (although I can spell it correctly most of the time). I think the Congress should give the airlines a final 90 day warning to get off the dole or go like the Dodo bird. It would be better than reregulation and watch as you see all those insolvent carriers all of a sudden get back into the black.

Enjoy your night.

Last edited:
EHITCH said:
Coming home from CT yesterday, flew UAL direct from BDL to ORD, Capt. Lenahan (sp?) refused to turn on Channel 9 so we could hear the comm. What's up, big guy (whoever you are)? What's the problem with letting your paying passengers hear what's going on between you and ATC? There are so few amenities left on any airline, you'd think the pilots would provide any kind of diversion they could.
Actually, I used to get a real charge out of listening to the chatter, less so now, but it just ticked me off that it wasn't available. I surely did not want to listen to the Chatty Cathy seated to my right.
OK, rant over.
Elizabeth

So many reasons to not fly United...

I used to fly them quite regularly. I had over 800,000 miles with them and they would try and downgrade me form full fare business to coach on flight to and from Japan. These are $4000 tickets, they would attempt to compensate me with $300 travel vouchers. Yeah, right I'll go from a $4000 ticket to a $900 one for a $300 refund.

Then there are the United Stewardesses. Rude, rude, rude, rude!

I switched to American many years ago. I know have over 2,000,000 miles with them and like their operation a lot better. I do miss channel 9 but I prefer being treated like the good customer that I am.

Ghery said:
Well, United and their partners had me parked in their seats for about 80,000 miles this year. Others padded the total to over 100,000 miles for the year all told. 5 continents. I wish I could avoid commercial air travel, but it is an occupational hazard for me. That said, as much as we like to bash United, they beat the heck out of an airline that I flew between Europe and South Africa - Lufthansa. I don't care if I NEVER fly Lufthansa again. Can you say - NO LEG ROOM in Coach? At least my knees aren't in the back of the seat in front of me in Economy Plus on United.

Channel 9 is at the Captain's discretion. So it says in the magazine. Most turn it on. A few don't. Oh well...

Have you been on Air France lately. they removed the leg room to add more seats. The only thing I really liked about AF was that they set up a little buffet in the galley and you could get up and help yourself to drinks and snacks.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Thanks for the come back, Nick.

No problem. I have no life at work, and nothing better to do than type up posts. Sigh.

Those aren't examples of overpricing, they only show the price offerings made through whatever your source was.

I got the prices direct from www.southwest.com, www.ual.com and www.americanairlines.com. But your point is taken, I'm sure there are probably cheaper places to get tickets for all of them.

You really must quit using the term, worth, it is such a subjective term that it carries different meanings for different folks. Having Chan 9 may make enduring horrible service worth it to you but others may think you are nuts to base the price on such an esoteric amenity. As long as they have a seat and the engines work people will continue to board the flight. They have to because of the need to transport themselves further than the next block or the next town and do it in a day or less.

Thats exactly my point. To me, the only thing that keeps me coming to United is Channel 9, so to me, that is definitely a benefit of flying United. The seats aren't overly comfortable, and the employees aren't overly friendly. If it weren't for Channel 9, I'd be on a different airline, one that was cheaper, and that is why I suspect that airlines like Southwest thrive. To most people, Channel 9 is something they either never listen to, or listen to for a few seconds and go "oh, that's cute." Southwest offers the same seat on a similar plane to similar locations at a much cheaper price. If United wants to compete and pull out of the red, they need to find something they do better than the rest. Maybe it needs to be customer service. Maybe it needs to be great meals. Maybe it needs to be something intangible that keeps customers smiling. I don't know....if I did, I'd probably have a much better job than I do right now. :)

Customer Service story with United: I once got delayed by a mechanical problem, and just making small talk with one of the check in clerks, I mentioned it. She freaked like I was attacking her, when all I was doing was making small talk while I waited for 5 hours in Chicago. She wasn't busy, I figured she'd want to talk, and instead, she started getting super defensive, and using terms like "well, what YOU people need to learn is..." I hate my job, but I'd NEVER talk to a customer like that, especially when the customer is being nice and just talking with someone about how their day went.

Once on UAL during a bumpy flight (with the crew negotiating for an altitude change) channel 9 suddenly went silent, then came back up with a hockey game. I found out later that my seatmate had requested the local sporting event and the crew complied by putting the local AM station on channel 9.

Ghery said:
Right. And it has been that way for years; this is not new.

-Skip

Richard said:
My brother flies commercial--a lot! Other than layovers I have not heard him complain about the service. Yeah, he's just one guy but I do not think he's in the minority.

Many folks at my company fly a lot and all of them complain about the lack of service. Then again they also complain about the ticket prices if they have to pay from their own pocket for personal travel so I guess it goes both ways. The things that tick me off the most are the wildly different prices for the same seat depending on God knows what, and the concept that a "non-refundable, non-changeable" ticket doesn't actually guarantee you a seat or the privilege to sell the ticket to someone else. I can live with the cramped seats, lack of personal service onboard, and non-existent "free" meals when the tickets are priced below cost. It seems that a lot of folks think the airlines should be able to provide a coast to coast flight complete with smiling attendents to wait on hand and foot for $200 round trip which is about half of what it costs for a seat on a fully loaded jumbo.

Southwest is a great carrier. I fly 16+ flights on them each month.

Everyone is nice & smiling. They are making money & providing great service at the same time. Too bad the old carriers cannot compete with them because of the bureaucracy & anomisity that has long been part of their structure.

If you need a ticket tomorrow Southwest & jetBlue are the way to go.

NY-LA Leaving 12/29 returning 1/1
Southwest $439
jetBlue $518
Delta $621
American $621
Alaska $621
Northwest $783
United $871
US air $991

Looks like the "fix" is in on # 3-5 :)

If you want to follow your flight's ATC communications, you can always bring a handheld radio or scanner aboard. Of course, if they see it they'll make you turn it off below 10,000 ft so it doesn't cause "interference," but one can easily hide it, or just turn it off for the takeoff period. Bring your AFD so you know the tower and approach frequencies and either listen for changes or get a high altitude chart for Center freqs.

Jon

I'm with Ghery. These kinds of discussions always amuse me because I have had bad service and great service on all airlines. There's not a lot of difference among them. Most people I know who fly a LOT on the airlines find this out. For example, my experience of United vis a vis American is the exact opposite of Scott's.

Channel 9 is a bonus. They do not have to do that, so getting mad because an individual pilot opts not to do it is pretty silly (sorry, Elizabeth, but it is). I also like Channel 9, but I understand that individual pilots might feel it's too intrusive or not enough pax are interested or whatever. I see very few people tuned in to Channel 9 when I fly.

The discount mentality of consumers has a lot to do with what's going on. If SW and other discounters are successful, you know that has to be hurting someone. I've heard the argument that the discounters make it possible for more people to fly than would have otherwise, but I'm not sure I buy that story. Data are difficult to interpret, though, because of the anomaly of 9/11.

Personally, I'm sad to see the "legacy" airlines struggling/going under. But it's a brutal business environment for them right now, competing with the discounters and having to put up with high fuel prices (that's another advantage for SW, too--they speculated and bought a whole mess of fuel at the prices of a few years ago, but this year, they're going to run out, so it will be interesting to see what happens to them when they have to pay the same as everyone else).

Another advantage the discounters have is that they are all new (even SW qualifies) and their workforces are young and they don't have a lot of retirees. The legacy airlines have huge numbers of retirees (e.g., my Dad). Like every other business that's been around awhile, not to mention governments from the fed on down, they are seeing the costs of supporting their retirees skyrocket--we're talking double-digit increases per year! SW has been around just long enough that they're going to start seeing this, too, and believe me, it is a HUGE problem. No one's talking about it much because, I guess, no one knows what to do about it, but this is an enormous drag on the economy. Look to Germany and France to see our not-so-distant future.

Judy

Forget the cost of the ticket or the economics of an airline. What happened to all the cute flight attendants?

4CornerFlyer said:
If you want to follow your flight's ATC communications, you can always bring a handheld radio or scanner aboard. Of course, if they see it they'll make you turn it off below 10,000 ft so it doesn't cause "interference," but one can easily hide it, or just turn it off for the takeoff period. Bring your AFD so you know the tower and approach frequencies and either listen for changes or get a high altitude chart for Center freqs.

Jon

I don't know about anybody else, but if I saw someone with a handheld scanner on an airliner I'd think "terrorist". At the very least I'd have the flight attendants keeping an eye on them.

Now if they had the green A/FD with them, I'd think "pilot". But I suspect that others would see that as a bad thing as well.

Interesting dichotomy, isn't it.

Richard said:
Oh bloody hell, we could have a whole economics course on this. The seat is 'worth' what the consumer thinks it's worth. If what you get doesn't meet your expections you feel shortchanged. Conversely, if the product or service exceeds your perceived value you feel you made out. The simple answer is you shouldn't buy it if you feel it's not worth the asking price. It's really quite simple, so simple in fact that I feel like I am misssing something.

The simple answer only works in a truly competitive markets. The airline business is anything but.

If Nick, as example, feels he's justified in paying a higher price for less service because he doesn't fly that much then he's satisfied (on a sliding scale). I suspect even if they cancel Chan 9 he'll fly UA--because he doesn't fly that much and UA has become a known quantity for him.

But what about the more frequent traveler who absolutely, positively has to be somewhere on a regular schedule? Do the airlines have such a stranglehold on the routes that for the consumer it's take it or leave it? That would be completely contradictory to a highly competitive industry in an unregulated market.

If you absolutely, positively have to be somewhere on a regular schedule, then airlines are NOT for you. Between delays, cancellations, overbooking, bumping, weather, ATC, and lousy flight schedules, you're hosed. Really. BTDT (2005 will be the first year that I haven't made some 'Platinum' level since they've HAD platinum levels).

The industry is not truly competitive, nor is it unregulated. And yes, many airlines have a stranglehold on certain routes. HAve you heard the term "Fortress Hub"?

Here's an example: I used to live in Cincinnati, and worked as a corp. executive. My travels took me to most of the 50 States and a bunch of countries. Yet Delta controls something like 95% of the air traffic out of Cincinnati.

You wanna fly Southwest? You have to drive 1-1/2 to 2 hours to Lexington, Louisville, or Columbus. And then, you'd be limited to the markets that SWA served from those cities. Not much point in driving 2 hours to get a flight to Chicago (which is one hour by air - if you're lucky - from CVG or 4 hours by car).

Delta maintained some of the highest prices in the nation out of CVG. In fact, after I moved to San Antonio, it was cheaper for me to go to Europe ($1500 in "M" class) via CVG than it was to take a flight terminating at CVG ($1800-$2000, depending). On a regular basis, it was $200-400 cheaper to fly via CVG to SDF or LEX than it was to fly to CVG. The situation got so bad that several large companies in Cincinnati would pay their employees extra to take flights out of one of the 1-1/2-hour-away-airports. GE Aircraft Engines requires their employees to justify flights out of CVG as opposed to another airport.

When I was negotiating group purchasing deals with airlines, I had reps from Delta, Continental, American, and United tell me that for certain airports there "would be no discount, because you MUST fly us". Yes, they used those words. Delta refused to give a corp discount because we had a corp. headquarters in the Cincinnati area (in return, we put all the Northeast corridor business on US Air and Amtrak).

Further, to protect a fortress hub, if a low cost carrier (LCC) comes in, the major will flood the city-pairs involved with seats to drive the price down and make it uneconomic for the LCC to stay. This is changing a bit with the bankruptcies, but when Frontier tried to come into CVG, Delta added 767's between CVG and DEN to drive the cost down and set the price very low. When Frontier pulled out, the prices rose significantly above the original price.

Now, as for unregulated, not a chance. You can't just start an airline. There are significant barriers to entry at the Federal level to get a 121 certificate, plus the economic hurdles. Once you do get in, you get sucked into commodity pricing on some routes.

Methinks the consumer has done themselves in by settling for marginal value. Consumer complaint works in every other industry so why not here? (I'm speculating based on the premise that consumers have adopted such an accomodating attitude.) One explanation for this 'settling' is because airline seats are a commodity and are viewed as such by the flying public.

A gallon of milk is a commodity too. If I have a legit complaint I can return for refund. Don't the airlines offer concessions or refunds to those with legit complaints? It nevers hurts to ask.

Not any more. I used to get some compensation, usually vouchers that were worthless due to the restrictions. Consumers are starting to figure it out with 'bumping' where the airlines first ask for 'volunteers'. The vouchers have such restrictions that they're often harder to use than FF miles. ANd they don't even come close to offering compensation to the flyer traveling on business.

My wife who travels about 4 times/yr has gotten free upgrades, deeply discounted tix for future flights, etc because she doesn't hesitate to say something when something goes awry. Of course, she also compliments them on a job well done. She's in the computer, the airlines call her office offering incentives all the time.

Just my opinion after traveling 2.25 million miles on the airlines in the last 15 years.

jrdodge said:
Forget the cost of the ticket or the economics of an airline. What happened to all the cute flight attendants?
I had this really cute FlightAttendant on a Southwest flight a few months ago.
This was the week before Katrina & just before I got moving orders.

The FA kept coming back & talking to me, Then brought me a few SW pens, Then a SW beach ball, then a SW deck of cards. (I never knew SW had all this kind of stuff)

We got to talking & the FA told me the whole crew was based in New Orleans.

The the FA then asked if I get to New Orleans much & I mentioned I lived in Lafayette & I went to New Orleans every weekend. The FA said that maybe we would get together some time.

I forgot to ask him for his phone number, But he was a really nice guy.

4CornerFlyer said:

Jon
They'll make you turn it off above 10,000 too. No radios on board comercial airlines while in flight. You just have not gotten caught.

jrdodge said:

Are you old enough to remember 'night coach'? :goofy: :rolleyes:

smigaldi said:
Have you been on Air France lately. they removed the leg room to add more seats. The only thing I really liked about AF was that they set up a little buffet in the galley and you could get up and help yourself to drinks and snacks.

Can't say that I've ever flown AF. Sounds like they've been taking lessons from Lufthansa. The French copying the Germans? OMG. :D

jrdodge said:

Well, many of the trips I take are 'desireable' trips for the crew. I believe they bid based on seniority. And we get the senior FAs on those flights. :rolleyes:

Now, I flew Singapore Airlines once and those FAs were worth a second look.

Last edited:
EHITCH said:
OK, rant over.
Elizabeth

Well, for what it's worth, we are not taking channel 9 out of the airplanes. It is a marketing tool and as far as I know, we are still the only carrier that offers it.

Having said that, it is still the Captain's discretion whether s/he wants it on or not. In this case, he had his reasons. Did you by chance ask him? Some captains prefer to leave it off unless someone asks.

I personally would leave it on all the time. Except maybe over the North Pacific when nothing is going on anyway. But I am not in charge. :dunno:

SkyHog said:
Why is a ticket on an airline that continues to need help from our tax dollars worth more than a ticket on, say, Southwest, who offers just a seat.

Educate me. What tax dollars?

SkyHog said:
There was a time when flight attendants seemed to care. I know there are still good ones out there, just like with any industry, but of the last 6 flights I've taken, I've probably run across one or two good ones, and both of them were on Southwest.

Part of that problem goes back to the elimination of the age restriction. And part of that also goes to the elimination of the weight restriction.

Unfortunately, in these uncertian times, it is hard to be positive and upbeat.

SkyHog said:
There was a time when flight attendants seemed to care. I know there are still good ones out there, just like with any industry, but of the last 6 flights I've taken, I've probably run across one or two good ones, and both of them were on Southwest.

Part of that problem goes back to the elimination of the age restriction. And part of that also goes to the elimination of the weight restriction.

jrdodge said:

No age or weight limits.:no:

Last edited:
Greg Bockelman said:
Well, for what it's worth, we are not taking channel 9 out of the airplanes. It is a marketing tool and as far as I know, we are still the only carrier that offers it.

Having said that, it is still the Captain's discretion whether s/he wants it on or not. In this case, he had his reasons. Did you by chance ask him? Some captains prefer to leave it off unless someone asks.

I personally would leave it on all the time. Except maybe over the North Pacific when nothing is going on anyway. But I am not in charge. :dunno:

I had a flight across the north Pacific earlier this year (on United) and there was plenty of activity on ch 9. Of course, we were going almost straight along the Alutians, so they were checking in with Anchorage periodically. No radar coverage, just position reports. Then we got within range of Japan. I don't know how you guys tolerate Japanese controllers. Listening on the next flight on down to Singapore the Koreans were understandable. The Filipinos were understandable. The Vietnamese were understandable. Of course, the Singaporeans were understandable. But half the Japanese? OMG. I could hear the frustration in the voices of various airline crews on the frequencies. Wow.

Now, it would be interesting if you put the HF on ch 9 in mid Pacific. I'm sure most people wouldn't like listening, but this ham is used to SSB (and if it's tuned in right, you'd hardly notice the difference anyway).

Ghery, N6TPT
United Premier Executive (again)

Greg Bockelman said:

I am ecstatic to hear that they will not be removing channel 9. I understand its pilot's discretion, and I have no problem with that, but I would if United had just removed the option.

Educate me. What tax dollars?
United declared bankruptcy and needed help from the US Government to handle its pension plans.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4656191

I'm too lazy to find a more detailed citation.

But old fat people can be nice. I'm fat, and I like to think I'm nice! :D

Greg Bockelman said:
Saying it that way it sounds like you are saying the young and beautiful have the lock on being nice.

Then you say this:
Put it altogether and now it sounds like it's the young who don't have the worries (pensions, crew scheduling, etc) so that would account for the young being nicer. Correct me where I'm wrong.

Ghery said:
Now, it would be interesting if you put the HF on ch 9 in mid Pacific. I'm sure most people wouldn't like listening, but this ham is used to SSB (and if it's tuned in right, you'd hardly notice the difference anyway).

Ghery, N6TPT
What do you mean "tuned right"? You talking about that peculiar quality of sounding like you're talking in a can? I've never been able to get rid of that on any SB even SSB.

Last edited:
MSmith said:
I don't know about anybody else, but if I saw someone with a handheld scanner on an airliner I'd think "terrorist". At the very least I'd have the flight attendants keeping an eye on them.

Now if they had the green A/FD with them, I'd think "pilot". But I suspect that others would see that as a bad thing as well.

Interesting dichotomy, isn't it.

Try pulling out charts over familiar territory:D

Ghery said:
I had a flight across the north Pacific earlier this year (on United) and there was plenty of activity on ch 9. Of course, we were going almost straight along the Alutians, so they were checking in with Anchorage periodically. No radar coverage, just position reports.

Well it ain't nothin like over the CONUS.

I don't know how you guys tolerate Japanese controllers. But half the Japanese? OMG. I could hear the frustration in the voices of various airline crews on the frequencies. Wow.

You get used to it.

Now, it would be interesting if you put the HF on ch 9 in mid Pacific. (and if it's tuned in right, you'd hardly notice the difference anyway).

I suppose if you like static... We only have two adjustments, one, tuning the station, two, volume. We have no squelch control.

Ghery, N6TPT

My wife, kids and I thank you.:yes:

SkyHog said:
United declared bankruptcy and needed help from the US Government to handle its pension plans.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4656191

I'm too lazy to find a more detailed citation.

OK, I will grant that point. But there are many "healthy" companies just dieing to dump their pensions.

Richard said:
Put it altogether and now it sounds like it's the young who don't have the worries (pensions, crew scheduling, etc) so that would account for the young being nicer. Correct me where I'm wrong.

That is pretty much exactly what I am saying. But that is just how I see it.

It used to be that there was a maximum age imposed by the airlines on flight attendants. IIRC it was in the neighborhood of 34. People would sign on knowing they only had a couple of years to work. They would come in, fly the world for a few years, then move on. No real pension issues. No real cares about the state of the industry. They would be gone in a few years anyway.

Eventually some wanted to make a lifelong career out of it. They found out that age restrictions were basically illegal and off they went. Now they demand pensions, are concerned about the state of the industry, etcetera.

So now they bring all those issues to work with them and turn in to grouchy people. I am not saying that is right. I wish they were more pleasant most of the time. If they don't like it, if it gets bad enough, they should find other employment. But it is what it is now.

As far as the weight thing, that plus the above missive is an explination to someone about where all the "Beautiful" flight attendants went. They got old and fat.:rofl:

Sorry. Just how I see it.

Last edited:
LOL--Eamon speaks truth!

Actually, I fly commercial a lot and found comfort in the fact that the flight attendants are older. At 41, it was a relief to know that, hey, I could still be a flight attendant if I wanted.:rolleyes:

Back