One less reason to fly United

p8cleared2land said:
LOL--Eamon speaks truth!

Actually, I fly commercial a lot and found comfort in the fact that the flight attendants are older. At 41, it was a relief to know that, hey, I could still be a flight attendant if I wanted.:rolleyes:
It depends on the airline. For US Carriers the flight attendents are, well lets say more seasoned. Their 'seasoning' level increases dramitaclly with the class of service they work in. I fly American alot but I also get to fly overseas and get on aother airlines. Japan, Singapore, Korean all seem to have an age limit on their FAs that is not anywhere near 40. In Europe Air France, Alitalia and BA also seem to have an age limt that is probably 40.

I think the bigger issue is why are the US FAs so mean and surly?

Last edited:
In United's defense, while I have not had the opportunity to fly them myself, I have placed several dear family members in their charge, both with difficult issues (envision: teenagers, bizarre packing habits, attitude), and all handled with consummate professionalism and courtesy. Maybe just the DFW station, but in my experience, a company's employees are either interested in providing service, or they are not.

U's folks are (from what I can tell) enduring a lot of crap as consequence of the combination of poor management (at the top), obstinate labor issues (IAM, thanky very much) and unavoidable circumstance (9/11, anyone?).

Much of what has been written can apply equally to any large, "legacy" carrier, from what I have seen.

Try this some time: Go to the airport, or board a flight, and greet any particular employee of the airline (could be U, or any other carrier). Tell them, "You're all a-holes who don't care, because I had a bad experience last time I flew."

Never happen. Not with the crew I find here, because (by and large) you're all part of the "good egg" aviation community. And we (most us) know that, on any given day, most people want to do a good job, and enjoy giving good service, and sometimes it just doesn't work out.

So cut the folks some slack, allow them a bad day every now and again. And, by all means, do as I do when you see exceptional service (like that U agent who went out of his way to find a box to package my nephew's random and obviously not-allowed-in-carry-on-luggage crap, so it could be checked instead of left behind, or the CO agents who went out of their way to make sure my sister's bags were checked through all the way to Adelaide, South Australia on her no-kidding three-airline-five-segment-flight, rather than telling her she could just claim bags at LA and start over), and send a letter to the airline's president telling them what great extra effort these particular people went to to take care of customers, and make the airline look good.

Just my idea.

Spike's suggestion to send a letter to corporate when the crew does an exceptional job: I did just that when AA consistently went above and beyond to smooth over so much which had gone wrong from JFK--PHX--SBA. Never got a response although that wouldn't sway me from booking with AA next time.

Richard said:
Spike's suggestion to send a letter to corporate when the crew does an exceptional job: I did just that when AA consistently went above and beyond to smooth over so much which had gone wrong from JFK--PHX--SBA. Never got a response although that wouldn't sway me from booking with AA next time.
When I sent a letter to Gordon Bethune at CO a couple of years ago to give credit for the exceptional assistance the gate agent at DAL (a tiny station for CO, of course) gave my sister, he (the man hmself) wrote back personally, assured me that the person who gave the good help would be recognized.

I sense from the way they run their business these days that the promise was kept.

Last edited:
SCCutler said:
When I sent a letter to Gordon Bethune at CO a couple of years ago to give credit for the exceptional assistance the gate agent at DAL (a tiny station for CO, of course) gave my sister, he (the man hmself) wrote back personally, assured me that the person who gave the good help would be recognized.

I sense from the way they run their business these days that the promise was kept.

Back in the early 1980s I worked for Martin Marietta in Denver. CO was our travel agent and we flew them all the time. They STANK! The managment change a few years ago (Bethune and company) turned them around completely. I now fly them on occation (transcontinental flights typically) and they are as good as any today. Management can make a difference.

Back