One Less Afghan Helicopter

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
Rumor is Hog found a job with in the Taliban AF as a civilian contractor and “just ate the big one.”

Looks like he was doing a pretty good job of flying that thing... until he wasn't.
:heli:

Attachments

• heli.gif
    heli.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 16
Says a lot about that part of the world that they just laugh at it.

I'll bet the preflight must have been great.

"Ahmed, go fly the helicopter."
"Brother, I do not know how to fly."
"Brother, Allah will help you fly."
"OK, Allahu Akbar!"

Last edited:
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...and a spleen...and a liver...

Top Gun 3: Because I was inverted.

That poor goat that was co-piloting

He’s gonna need a good body guy. Hope he was insured…
12436295_0.jpg

I'll bet the preflight must have been great.

"Ahmed, go fly the helicopter."
"Brother, I do not know how to fly."
"Brother, Allah will help you fly."
"OK, Allahu Akbar!"

Might illustrate how the person taking video felt about the Taliban...

Frankly I'm surprised it took this long with everything we donated

If he was US trained, he must have been sleeping during the aerodynamics for dummies class. Specifically the transient increase in torque in a left turn and more importantly, percent increase in torque vs angle of bank.;)

If he was US trained, he must have been sleeping during the aerodynamics for dummies class. Specifically the transient increase in torque in a left turn and more importantly, percent increase in torque vs angle of bank.;)
All of that probably doesn't translate very well. After all, the notion of flight didn't originate from that sector of the world, did it?
Even Icarus and Daedalus were a bit further to the north.

…but did he file a flight plan?

I remember folks telling me that in Vietnam they would leave ammo sitting where the bad guys would find it. But they had replaced the gun powder with C-4.

Bad guy pulls the trigger, rifle blows off face. I figured some of the stuff left behind in Afghanistan would be similarly tampered with.

We don't know anything about the guys watching, but they were involved in a vicious guerrilla action that ran, off and on, for about forty years. I would presume they've seen death before, and have a pretty callous attitude to it.

Ron Wanttaja

Won't take long before all the Afghani helicopters are in a non flyable state, basically as soon as they need spare parts. The Taliban might have won this round, but it was a pyrrhic victory to say the least.

To bad we can't all just get along and spent the money on helping one another instead of fighting....:(

If he was US trained, he must have been sleeping during the aerodynamics for dummies class.

In talking to some of my friends that were over there doing the teaching, it was very tough. I was told the average male Afghan has the equivalent of a 1st grade American education.

In talking to some of my friends that were over there doing the teaching, it was very tough. I was told the average male Afghan has the equivalent of a 1st grade American education.

That’s probably pretty accurate for new enlisted recruits. Their officer corps isn’t anything to brag about either. There’s a reason why President Karzai was flown by civilian contractors and US military pilots when I was there. We trained their MI-17 crew chiefs…painful.

I'd be way more than surprised if anything was left but mush.
FYI: if one were to survive it would be in one of these airframes due to its design. Been keeping bodies whole and vertical since the late 60s. Has quoted by some as bullet proof. Very few other types compare.

FYI: if one were to survive it would be in one of these airframes due to its design. Been keeping bodies whole and vertical since the late 60s. Has quoted by some as bullet proof. Very few other types compare.
That would be amazing; I've seen the aftermath of two helicopters (and a dozen planes) where the occupants clearly were compromised with extreme prejudice.

That would be amazing;
The pictures and 1st person stories I've heard on survivability of the OH-6/500 series are amazing. If I had to be in a helicopter wreck it would be in this airframe as its one of the few models that covers the crew/cabin with primary structure vs simple S/M or "tupperware." The last one you want to be in is the AS350/H125 series or a Robbie in my experience.

The pictures and 1st person stories I've heard on survivability of the OH-6/500 series are amazing. If I had to be in a helicopter wreck it would be in this airframe as its one of the few models that covers the crew/cabin with primary structure vs simple S/M or "tupperware." The last one you want to be in is the AS350/H125 series or a Robbie in my experience.
Makes me wanna order an MD530. Except for the price and operating costs, of course.

Back