One Hell Of A Steep Glideslope At Steamboat (KSBS)

Yes, terrain can cause a number of steep approaches. While you'll more often find them in the west like you did, they even exist in the "baby" mountains in the east. When I was doing my instrument training in Pennsylvania, the VOR approach at Selinsgrove (next airport over) was a good practice because it had a very steep segment. It taught you to look at how many miles you had between each segment as well as the altitude change, so that you could plan your descent.

In PA we had a lot of airports in valleys or otherwise surrounded by mountains where "brick approaches" were beneficial. I've often theorized that because Piper was originally based in Pennsylvania, they built their aircraft to meet the needs of pilots in the area - which included being able to do steep glide paths. Once they moved to Florida, not so much.

The important thing is knowing the capabilities of your aircraft as well as what you're comfortable with so you can plan how you want to do the final segment of your approach (straight in, circling, etc.) and then be prepared to go around.
Thanks, Ted. I'm a Virginian and got my PPL at the Quantico Flying Club (no longer there). I flew over the baby mountains there back in Oct and miss it. There's a good article in this month's Flying Magazine about getting comfortable with forward slips. Something even the majors do. I know that wasn't the issue here, but it reminded me to practice them for when I do need it!

Reactions: Ted
Thanks, Ted. I'm a Virginian and got my PPL at the Quantico Flying Club (no longer there). I flew over the baby mountains there back in Oct and miss it. There's a good article in this month's Flying Magazine about getting comfortable with forward slips. Something even the majors do. I know that wasn't the issue here, but it reminded me to practice them for when I do need it!

Full forward slip with full flaps and idle in an Aztec or Navajo will give you a truly impressive descent rate. :)

But there are hundreds of times where a slip and general energy management has made the landing.

There's a good article in this month's Flying Magazine about getting comfortable with forward slips. Something even the majors do.

Whaaaaaaa???

I've never been on an airliner that did a forward slip. Pretty sure that would violate the "stable" approach guidelines they follow, not to mention probably force a cleanup in aisle 1... Plus, they have plenty of drag-inducing devices available to use instead.

@Greg Bockelman, what say you?

I have done a slip in both the 777 and 737. But I was chastised for it in the 777 for some reason. Something about it not being stressed for it, but that is BS IMO.

Stable approach only applies below 1,500 feet. Above that anything goes, so to say.

For what it is worth, I have only done that twice.

I was a passenger on an airline flight once on which the pilot did a short approach to SJC. Fun!

I think it was Reno Air, which was later acquired by American.

Looking for a steep approach in the eastern US? RNAV-A into Lake Placid, NY, KLKP, at 7.92 degrees is interesting to fly....

Looking for a steep approach in the eastern US? RNAV-A into Lake Placid, NY, KLKP, at 7.92 degrees is interesting to fly....
Interesting roll-out too.

klkp-rnav-gps-a-pdf.71147

Attachments

• KLKP RNAV (GPS)-A.pdf
    254.8 KB · Views: 62
The first time I landed on glare ice was Steamboat, I asked my passenger to see if he could spot the runway, he pointed to the airplanes sitting in the field. I felt more nervous on takeoff not being able to make full power before releasing brakes.

Amen. IIRC, it’s 13.8 @DBL and then gear out and let the ride begin....
That's how I used to drive I-70 from the tunnel to Silverthorne (Colorado skiing). Downshift and hang on...aint no way you're going to stop when the road is icy.

Back