once the wheels leave the ground....

I guess because the airframe weighs much more than the propeller.

When I'm walking why does my body move on the earth instead of the earth moving under my feet?;)

Because if the airplane spun around the prop the pilot would either have to be seated on the prop which isn't very comfortable OR if the pilot is in the aircraft, their head would explode and that doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable either.

Good question. Here’s a good explaination that may answer the question.

“The ailerons out near the wing tips can create a rolling torque to counter the rolling torque due to the turning engines.

Other answers have mentioned the use of rudders. I suspect they are thinking of the application of rudder during climb-out. This is something that is needed to counter a different effect rather than the direct reaction torque about the propeller shaft.

The blades of a propeller make a circle, so there is a portion of that circle where they are going down on one side and a portion on the other side where they are going up. During climb-out, the aircraft operates at a higher angle of attack than during cruise. The prop is aligned for cruise, so it is not quite pointed into the flow during climb-out. Due to this asymmetry, the down-going blade has a higher angle of attack than the upgoing blade. That means the down-going blade has a little more thrust that the up-going blade. This causes a yawing moment, which is countered by a little rudder.”

-
some guy on Quora​

Good question. Here’s a good explaination that may answer the question.

“The ailerons out near the wing tips can create a rolling torque to counter the rolling torque due to the turning engines.

Other answers have mentioned the use of rudders. I suspect they are thinking of the application of rudder during climb-out. This is something that is needed to counter a different effect rather than the direct reaction torque about the propeller shaft.

The blades of a propeller make a circle, so there is a portion of that circle where they are going down on one side and a portion on the other side where they are going up. During climb-out, the aircraft operates at a higher angle of attack than during cruise. The prop is aligned for cruise, so it is not quite pointed into the flow during climb-out. Due to this asymmetry, the down-going blade has a higher angle of attack than the upgoing blade. That means the down-going blade has a little more thrust that the up-going blade. This causes a yawing moment, which is countered by a little rudder.”

-
some guy on Quora​
Oh please, common sense & rational thought rears their ugly heads. Fie on you, Fie! Begonst, ye varlet! It's the ion hyperdrive or possibly the the infinity gauntlet. But until we have experimental proof, I'm betting on the flux capacitor.

I suppose if you were to hang the plane vertically and attach the crankshaft to some immovable object...

I suppose if you were to hang the plane vertically and attach the crankshaft to some immovable object...

sure. but in the air, nothing's technically attached to an immovable object. sort of.

Bryan didn’t cover it in his video but a Grumman does. That’s why he won’t answer the speed question.

I believe is was the old Sopwith's that the engine was attached firmly to the propeller while the crank shaft was bolted to the airframe, thus allowing the entire engine to spin with the propeller.

I believe is was the old Sopwith's that the engine was attached firmly to the propeller while the crank shaft was bolted to the airframe, thus allowing the entire engine to spin with the propeller.

Yes. The original rotary engine. The prop was fixed. Weird.

what's stopping the plane from spinning around the prop instead of the prop spinning around the plane?
Your engine is severely under-powered for your airframe. Ask any pilot that takes off/rotates a P-51 at full throttle... that is if you can find one that is still around.

It the helium in the wings. That's also how we get lift. Helium. It's the future. Invest.
Make sure to check your helium tank before every flight too. Lots of crashes are caused by a loss of lift from an inadequate supply of helium.

Back