OMG!

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
I flew to a new-to-me airport today. The Stratus hard-mounted in the airplane didn't turn on and was out of reach. Since I have a WiFi-only iPad, no own ship with position! I'm surprised I was able to find my way with only a map page and a 530!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I flew to a new-to-me airport today. The Stratus hard-mounted in the airplane didn't turn on and was out of reach. Since I have a WiFi-only iPad, no own ship with position! I'm surprised I was able to find my way with only a map page and a 530!
horrors! The shame of it all!

I upset my kid enroute when I use my KLN-94 although I have a subscription to ForeFlight and never use it ....she works there...she laughs when I tell her I flew IFR with a single ADF...

I upset my kid enroute when I use my KLN-94 although I have a subscription to ForeFlight and never use it ....she works there...she laughs when I tell her I flew IFR with a single ADF...
Now, that is impressive!

He should've pulled the chute but checked his AOA indicator first!

I think some of your sarcasm detectors are inop.

Nice to hear these stories of pilots cheating death.

Remind me to never fly with you.

Well it's easy for you goofs to laugh, but I had a story like this too. A couple of days ago, I departed my home base for some hour and half flight. Turned on my main tablet - it was showing a factory reset. Stupid piece of garbage Huawei, it was working fine in the morning when I got the weather. I pulled out the backup - the subscription for Garmin Pilot on it expired or otherwise disappeared. It did not have any storage left for something like Avare. In fact, there seriously was no space, so the GP install there was used without any charts: only had airport data for emergencies.

My destination was too far away and I wasn't sure what course to follow, so I decided to land at a field that I knew had WiFi. Of course the factory reset on the Huawei wiped the saved logins, but by a miracle I remembered the password. I was unable to remember how to get into the lounge, so we camped outside. Fortunately, there was a shade. Also, the restroom was accessible from the outside.

By another miracle, I remembered my Google password, which the Huawei required to proceed after reset. Well, I needed it to get Garmin Pilot downloaded. I had the password for my Garmin account recorded in my flight notebook, but it didn't occur to me that I might be in a danger of forgetting my Google password. I entered that password into the GP on the backup device, too.

BTW, I asked my daughter to get Avare installed. The stupid thing was hanging on the registration. Oh well, Garmin it is.

If I didn't know the WiFi password, I guess I'd need to land at a nearby Class C field and march into their snazzy FBO.

Well, it wasn't as criminal as printing out a screencap from Skyvector at an FBO 2,000 miles from home and using that for a chart.

Well it's easy for you goofs to laugh, but I had a story like this too. A couple of days ago, I departed my home base for some hour and half flight. Turned on my main tablet - it was showing a factory reset. Stupid piece of garbage Huawei, it was working fine in the morning when I got the weather. I pulled out the backup - the subscription for Garmin Pilot on it expired or otherwise disappeared. It did not have any storage left for something like Avare. In fact, there seriously was no space, so the GP install there was used without any charts: only had airport data for emergencies.

My destination was too far away and I wasn't sure what course to follow, so I decided to land at a field that I knew had WiFi. Of course the factory reset on the Huawei wiped the saved logins, but by a miracle I remembered the password. I was unable to remember how to get into the lounge, so we camped outside. Fortunately, there was a shade. Also, the restroom was accessible from the outside.

By another miracle, I remembered my Google password, which the Huawei required to proceed after reset. Well, I needed it to get Garmin Pilot downloaded. I had the password for my Garmin account recorded in my flight notebook, but it didn't occur to me that I might be in a danger of forgetting my Google password. I entered that password into the GP on the backup device, too.

BTW, I asked my daughter to get Avare installed. The stupid thing was hanging on the registration. Oh well, Garmin it is.

If I didn't know the WiFi password, I guess I'd need to land at a nearby Class C field and march into their snazzy FBO.

Well, it wasn't as criminal as printing out a screencap from Skyvector at an FBO 2,000 miles from home and using that for a chart.
Sounds like you had a real issue - no charts at all. And the "typical" multiple missteps leading to the problem. Mine was literally a non-event.

OMG! The dreaded ink line!

Love it!

I was just thinking, that the only airplane I still keep a paper sectional in is the Waco.

Sometimes I like to just turn all the electronics off and look out the sides and follow railroad tracks and roads.

Wow. We’ve progressed from my GPS failed and I had to go Stoneage and use Charts to my [insert electrogadget Du Jour] failed and I had to go Stoneage and use GPS

Undoubtedly, similar tales are probably more common than realized.

I had a similar experience recently related to Apples increased security measures over the last couple months.
First, my old IPAD2 with all my EFB data became inoperable because I could not re-sign in with an old email address used and forgotten by my daughter. Ok, time for a new 6th gen IPad.

Loaded the new IPad for a trip from CT to St Louis. No problems. But on the way back with many convective deviations, forced to land short in Albany NY for an overnight. I don’t know what happened at the hotel but was trying to recharge, but the IPad went into unable to open loop. Fortunately my IPhone worked with the same EFBs on it, but it was likely to be IFR the next day for the final leg home. I had to scramble trying to download approach charts and the STAR to print from the hotel business center, what a pain. Fortunately, I had an up to date nav data card in my GNS430W so I could do it IFR.

As it turned out, I could not go as convection was blanketing my destination weather, so I left the plane and drove home in a rental for work.

Took the new IPAD and the old IPAD 2 to an Apple store where they both were completely reloaded with the latest system. That night, loaded both with my EFBs and drove the rental back to ALB and flew IFR without issues back home.

Lesson, always have a backup. Now I have the new IPad and the old ready to go if needed. The IPhone, while extremely useful and gave me options was not a good substitute, IMO, for flying approaches in real IFR by itself.

Back