Old 1970s Ford "Cessna" Alternators?

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
What is everyone doing with these? Just dumping them for the latest flavor of Hartzell/Planepower ones? Can you buy legit parts for these anywhere?

IMG_4912.jpg

You should be able to buy wear parts like brushes at NAPA. Heck, I ordered a bottom end seal kit there for a 10 horsepower 1957 Evinrude outboard recently!

What is everyone doing with these? Just dumping them for the latest flavor of Hartzell/Planepower ones? Can you buy legit parts for these anywhere?

View attachment 121945
I think all the parts are still available. The brush material and construction details are different between NAPA and aviation… to avoid arcing better at altitude. Probably not an issue if you’re a 5,000’ or below guy.

The stator coil is wye wound with an aux connection, instead of automotive delta wound, the internal noise filter is a different capacitance for the higher operating RPM, the diodes were supposedly lower noise somehow…

The fan is pitched opposite…

I bought lots of the parts from Aviall (now Boeing).

I've had mine overhauled by a repair facility every 500-600 hours. Around $300-400 a pop. Still going strong.

I've had mine overhauled by a repair facility every 500-600 hours. Around $300-400 a pop. Still going strong.
Whom have you been using?

Kicking the idea around of buying a brand new one outright and a few extra sets of brushes and bearings to add to my toolbox stash.

A different path appears to be Planepower AL12-F60 kit which is more money and don't find any internal parts for sale for them. Not entirely sure the replacement brackets in the kit fit this old O320 crankcase either.

Last edited:
A different path appears to be Planepower AL12-F60 kit which is more money and don't find any internal parts for sale for them.
Many of the lightweight alternators are just repurposed Japanese car alternators. An auto parts shop might recognize it, but parts are another matter. It's getting hard to find parts for a lot of such stuff, as most folks just buy new when the old thing fails. Amazon has some stuff. I found some parts when my Hyundai alternator got tired, but nothing exact for my model.

Whom have you been using?

Kicking the idea around of buying a brand new one outright and a few extra sets of brushes and bearings to add to my toolbox stash.

A different path appears to be Planepower AL12-F60 kit which is more money and don't find any internal parts for sale for them. Not entirely sure the replacement brackets in the kit fit this old O320 crankcase either.
RLB Accessory Service
971 North Babbit Ave
Addison, IL 60101-1221
(630) 543-9213
Repair station KB2R946K

"Local" to me here in IL so I gave them a shot after hearing about them online and from hangar neighbors years ago. Bob Benja's an old time A&P/IA who used to present at a lot of the IA seminars here in IL. Eccentric dude, will chat your ear off. He's getting up there in age but I think his son does most of the repairs these days.
I've only sent them my starter and alternator but I do believe they repair other items but you'd have to call and ask. Last time I sent my alternator in June this year they had it for 2 weeks before I called to ask for status, they got it turned around quick after that.

Our Plane-Power unit has been ticking away reliably for 14 years...
And how many hours? They still use field brushes that wear out. And when they wear out, the alternator fails rather abruptly.

From a Plane Power maintenance manual:

1698884235498.png

From a typical PP STC:

1698884278790.png

Despite all the Plane Power advertising hype, it's still an ordinary alternator, with field brushes and all the hassle those can bring. If the brushes are ignored until they get too short, they pop out of their holders and the spring behind them then runs on the slip ring, arcing and ruining the ring. Now you're buying a whole new alternator instead of an inexpensive set of brushes.

Mine also,
Is this one of the fords the OP is asking about? It does not look the same, maybe a little newer? It is off a 1980 cessna.

Aerotech Aircraft-Louisville provided good fast rebuild service for mine.​

(edited)_IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

https://www.aerotechlou.com/alternators.shtml

Last edited:
Mine also,
Is this one of the fords the OP is asking about? It does not look the same, maybe a little newer? It is off a 1980 cessna.

Aerotech Aircraft-Louisville provided good fast rebuild service for mine.​

(edited)_IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

https://www.aerotechlou.com/alternators.shtml
IDK the fine detailed differences but that is what I have except mine is a 12V one and a little older

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed plane-power alternators are not of the same quality of those made a few years ago and fail more now than then.

It's a Ford. That DOFF10300 on the label is a Ford part number.

It even says "Ford" on the bottom line of the label.

Cessna is still using 24-volt Ford alternators.

Back