Ok. The million dollar question: have you ever had to pee in a container?

I've peed in plastic baggies and water bottles with various size openings. I prefer the wide-mouth bottles. :D

My most perilous pee took place during my first XC to KDTO in my LSA. For whatever reason, I needed to pee 3X during a 2.5 hr flight in a plane that was new to me. On my first pee, my britches and drawers got hung on the stick, and I found myself suddenly aimed straight at the ground as the ASI almost touched VNE. I quickly recovered, luckily before I'd begun p*ssin', so no drop was spilled. I regained my composure and thunk carefully through the contortions I was gonna have to make in order to have a successful and drip-free pee. All went well on the next try (and the subsequent two) before landing at DTO.

That's how my better half got to control the airplane for the first time. Bunch of planes in formation going from TN to Oskosh - "Here, hon, you drive, I gotta pee". Put a bit of distance between us and the next guy and she did a great job keeping us straight and level

The blimps I flew it wasn't uncommon to be in the air 8+ hours with no lav, so you had bottles. The bigger airship, if you topped it off, and planned for endurance flying, could measure time aloft in days, not hours.

I used to do fire patrol under contract with the USFS. We had to fly 8 hours a day. We'd fly four hours in the morning, take a lunch break, & fly four more hours. We used sic-sac's all the time. If you use the handy little tie they go out the window without a mess. I always wondered if we ever hit a campground or hiker.

Hey @SkyHog , where are you with your peesicle story?

From the other thread a few years back. It's my favorite story to tell:

Fun story.

I'm flying north to Fort Collins, toward the Denver Class B airspace, when I'm suddenly cleared through the airspace without even asking. Outstanding!

Well, I literally cross the Class B boundary, and start to hit some turbulence and it hits me. I HAVE TO PEE! I apparently drank that last Dr. Pepper much too fast. I don't know how long I needed to pee without noticing, but I do know that this was pretty urgent.

"Its ok" I told myself, "I'm only about 40 minutes from Fort Collins, maybe less. I can do this."

5 minutes later, and a bunch of huge turbulent bursts later, I'm freaking out. I can't wait...I have to go now. Off to my left is JeffCo...but if I start asking for clearances and whatnot, there's no chance I'm going to make it down before I have a very bad accident.

I'm in pain....my thumb is hovering over the PTT, about to declare an emergency because I really felt this was a safety of flight issue....but then it occurs to me: I can't possibly be holding more than 12 ounces of pee, right?

I scramble for the empty Dr. Pepper can I just finished, aim very carefully so as not to cut my good stuff on the rim, and let it go.

And it went.

And it went.

And I was approaching 12 ounces, and started panicking. "What do I do now??"

Well, this particular Cherokee 180 has one of those awesomely functional 3 inch by 3 inch windows on the left side. I squeeze it off, and dump the contents out the window, careful not to spill any (the ash story was in my head, and I was very scared). I brought it back and continued.

Probably 2 cans worth later, I was finished. I had drifted off my assigned Altitude of I think 13,500ft but my heading was simply "west of I-40" (or east...can't remember). At this point, I found an interesting point of knowledge.

Pee freezes.

I had peecicles all the way down the left side of my Cherokee, and when I landed a little later, I had a nice puddle forming under the plane.

That's my fun story (probably the best "fun" story I have as a pilot). If you've ever been there, you know what I was feeling. If you haven't, don't get that far. It sucks.

I'd rather have peecicles vs ****cicles.

The porta-Jon bags with the crystals which turn everything into Jello work quite well.

Back when my daughter was younger, we did eject a few nasty diapers out the window from 10,000 ft.

One a year when I worked for an Oil Company.
Each Medical re-issue.
A couple times driving from Los Angeles to Lake Havasu.

Did I misunderstand the question?

I think so, yeah. A few people misunderstood, I wrote in the first sentence "in flight,.." But I don't mind. Car pee stories, urine test stories, it's all good.

When I was a little kid I had to a few times while flying with my parents. My mom had a large Teflon "bottle" that I had to use, but it looked (or was for all I know) the same as what she used to keep orange juice in for breakfast. After the first time I must have had a subconscious aversion because I decided I didn't like orange juice.

Now, just starting learning to fly I had to go to my first flight medical. Eye doctor before that, etc. and had a lot of time to kill. I had had a few cokes, and water...had a hard time finding the flight doctors office as it wasn't marked and was just inside an emergency room, doctors office. So when I got there I really had to go. Wasn't sure I was in the right place, and there was a bathroom and i didn't think about the consequences but just used it.

It was the right place, and after questions and some tests she hands me the little cup. I tell her I did a dumb thing and just had gone. Try anyway, drink some water was the advice. I go in the bathroom and drink about ten cups and nothing. No way. I come out after trying for fifteen minutes, "no luck". Oh well, she says "we still have a number of tests and we can do those, you can try again later". So we do.

Later I repeat the process, ten fifteen more cups of water, thinking about waterfalls, let the two run in the sink, nothing.

Been there for hours, and the nurse and Doctor say "well, what do we do now? Listen were open for three more hours, go out and take a walk and see if that helps". This place is a good distance from where I live and I really don't want to have to come back another day. I walk a few miles, drink more cola, a cup of coffee...hop a little on the way back. Am pessimistic.

I go back in, go into the bathroom and viola! Sweet success!!! I'm so relieved (sorry about the pun) I come out with the urine cup in my hand, see her across the way and say "YES!!" with a big thumbs up and only then notice another patient sitting there looking at me strangely.

I had started getting paranoid that maybe they thought I was not taking it on purpose because of drugs or something. But all is well, we sign my med. cert. And I drive home....in heavy traffic...and within ten minutes on the stop and go traffic on the freeway... I REALLY have to pee.

I barely made it home about 45 minutes later.

I fold up th med. cert. To size and go to out it in my kneeboard to have with me on flights, and see that they have my nationality as Norwegian, but I'm a US citizen. Had to send it back, then a copy of my passport, and even then a month later they need even one more copy of my passport, but it is now in order.

When it rains it pours.

Done it twice. Once in an empty aeroshell oil bottle that I has put in the plane before we took off. Drank too much iced tea at the airport restaurant and just couldn't hold it. Other was a gatorade bottle. Both times happened without spilling a drop. Learned to not drink a lot before going for a flight.

Margy and I were flying a very long leg in Australia a while back. She was flying that leg and I was in the right seat. The skyhawk we were flying didn't have an operable right window. Margy said "You're going to think it's wierd, but I want you to hand me a zip lock bag." I told her it wasn't that wierd because when she was done, she was going to empty the water bottle I had out the window so I could use it.

1qt Gatorade bottles. Plenty of "mouth" and volume.

Pilots best friend.

1qt Gatorade bottle is great for camping, too. No having to tramp around outside the tent in the middle of the night.

These bottles y'all are using, anyone ever, ya know, get the main vein stuck in one while peeing? Just curious....

12 oz Dr. Pepper can with the flip top lid. Pretty skilled aiming. I don't recall any mess. Flight from Southern CA to Grand Canyon in a C-172. One of the most turbulent flights I've encountered due to Santa Ana winds over Cajon Pass. However, smooth as glass past the Cajon Pass. I told the front passenger to hold the wheel and don't look left. Used a rag as a make-shift privacy curtain and did my thing.

I've taken a Gatorade bottle ever since and managed my hydration better on all flights.

Typically, I plan adequately to avoid the requirement, but there was this one time I launched on a relatively short flight to Sugar Land (maybe 1.5 in the 182 I was flying); and had to GO right as they started vectoring me all over for the approach; seemed every time I was finally ready to deliver the ordnance, I'd get a vectoring turn. My wife was Very Amused.

Don't we already have at least one epic pee thread?

Gatorade bottle. That was the first time I've ever peed in a bottle.

The funny thing was... I looked around nervously before going. Really? Who's looking in at 5,500 feet? Lol. Made myself chuckle

What do you do if the Gatorade bottle is full of Gatorade? Is it better to drink it empty then use the bottle? Or drink maybe half of it then refill it as it were?

The porta-Jon bags with the crystals which turn everything into Jello work quite well.

I can vouch for that. I had to use one last year. It just so happened to be on the first XC my girlfriend had been on with me. Actually, it was her second flight with me, as this was the return leg from Austin, TX back to Guthrie, OK. I was trying as hard as I could to not have to use the "john bag," but nature was making a mighty call.

We were about to transit the DFW class B airspace and I couldn't hold it any longer. I calmly asked her to take the yoke on her side and just keep the plane on these numbers, as I pointed out the DG and altimeter. She wasn't too thrilled with that, but I told her that it shouldn't be too difficult, as the plane is trimmed out nicely - just make the small corrections, if needed. I had to slide my seat back to unzip and pull my shorts down and press the opening of this pee bag as close as I possibly could to my body to keep from having anything from going astray

I swear that I had the worst "performance anxiety" that I've ever had, as the situation was quite awkward. It took me forever to finally get flowing and I swore I was going to fill that bag beyond its brim. My girlfriend handled it all with grace, though; she even offered to hold the filled bag as I zipped up and returned my seat to its proper position.

It's a great story to tell our friends and family now, but I don't hope to repeat that scenario anytime soon.

I can vouch for that. I had to use one last year. It just so happened to be on the first XC my girlfriend had been on with me. Actually, it was her second flight with me, as this was the return leg from Austin, TX back to Guthrie, OK. I was trying as hard as I could to not have to use the "john bag," but nature was making a mighty call.

We were about to transit the DFW class B airspace and I couldn't hold it any longer. I calmly asked her to take the yoke on her side and just keep the plane on these numbers, as I pointed out the DG and altimeter. She wasn't too thrilled with that, but I told her that it shouldn't be too difficult, as the plane is trimmed out nicely - just make the small corrections, if needed. I had to slide my seat back to unzip and pull my shorts down and press the opening of this pee bag as close as I possibly could to my body to keep from having anything from going astray

I swear that I had the worst "performance anxiety" that I've ever had, as the situation was quite awkward. It took me forever to finally get flowing and I swore I was going to fill that bag beyond its brim. My girlfriend handled it all with grace, though; she even offered to hold the filled bag as I zipped up and returned my seat to its proper position.

It's a great story to tell our friends and family now, but I don't hope to repeat that scenario anytime soon.

That is something else I wondered about, if the call comes and you are in a critical point flying, what do you do? Take a few 360's until done? Also, is there a secret radio term to tell the tower "I can't talk now, have to pee"?

Anytime you cross an ocean in a single seat fighter you will more than likely use a piddle pack or two. It's not too difficult unless you are wearing an anti-exposure suit; dealing with the jaws of life can be tricky but necessity usually wins that battle. Even on daily sorties I probably pee in the jet about every other week. Pulling G's with a full (or even partially full) bladder is not something I recommend.

I keep the same kind of packs in the Bo, only needed them a couple of times in the last 1,000 hours of Bo time.

I have. Emptied the peanuts into a napkin and used the jar.

That is something else I wondered about, if the call comes and you are in a critical point flying, what do you do? Take a few 360's until done? Also, is there a secret radio term to tell the tower "I can't talk now, have to pee"?

I would assume "standby" or "unable" could do the trick!

the real question is....."did peeing in the container produce a positive result?" :eek:

My logbook is full of >6 hour helicopter flights. Multiple bottles are in my go bag at any point in time. I have a bigger bladder than the wife it seems so our Arrow flights are 2.5-3 hour legs at most.

31LQIlt44dL.jpg

I've used these on more than one occasion. I got tired of holding it in and if ones available, I'm going.
Ditto, a little tough with the center console in the Jabiru.

I have used a Gatorade bottle with some success, zip lock bag in a pinch and about 25 years ago after a couple hour weather delay I was flying from Atlanta to Destin in the 182, it's a 2 hour flight max, but waiting out the weather and drinking diet cokes for 2 hours before I left was a BAD idea!! About 1/2 way there, I had to go another 10 minutes I was going to go whether I had a plan or not! I searched everywhere in the plane, no sic sacs, no bags, no bottles, no cans, nothing! I spotted an old flashlight, dumped out the 2 D batteries and figured I was in business! Another BAD idea! Flashlights aren't water proof and as I was filling it, it was filling the seat and floor of the plane!! Not a good day, so now I always have some type of container to go in!!

Sure, all the time. I save my old Powerade bottles (red Powerade) for refilling purposes. Admittedly it takes a bit to get the technique down, and is easier in a larger plane. But perfectly doable even in a 172 or PA28.

In the mid 50's I was a Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton. We were returning from 2 weeks on the fire lines near Santa Barbara in a chartered Greyhound bus. When asked for a pit stop we were told "no can do". We had been issued an extra canteen, and that was the vessel used. When turning in the extra canteen, extra care was used to insure that we didn't turn in the wrong one.

What I learned from this tread is:

#1. If you are flying with anybody on this site DON'T pick up any Bottles in the Airplane.

#2. Make your buddy go TWICE before take off. Last thing I want to do is see someones pecker and compare it to mine.

#3. Repeat steps 1 and 2

#1. If you are flying with anybody on this site DON'T pick up any Bottles in the Airplane.

#2. Make your buddy go TWICE before take off. Last thing I want to do is see someones pecker and compare it to mine.

#3. Repeat steps 1 and 2

Yeah, when I fly kids, the pee bottle is not an option.

And it SUCKS to hear "I gotta go NOW" from the back seat at 5000 feet. It's happened twice. It's gonna take a few minutes to descend from that altitude, no matter what.

But how many epic pee threads can be too many?

right on, longroadbob! welcome to PoA

#3. Repeat steps 1 and 2

"bathroom" is on my checklist, no kidding. not so much for me, but to tell my passengers, "now is the time to go whiz".

right on, longroadbob! welcome to PoA

"bathroom" is on my checklist, no kidding. not so much for me, but to tell my passengers, "now is the time to go whiz".

It's worth it, Passengers use the bathroom NOW!!!! :) last thing you want to do is get pee on you from somebody else......unless you are into that kind of stuff. ;)

Sure, all the time. I save my old Powerade bottles (red Powerade) for refilling purposes. Admittedly it takes a bit to get the technique down, and is easier in a larger plane. But perfectly doable even in a 172 or PA28.

Don't forget to tell approach you need to go off frequency for a minute.

A guy I know had a relief tube installed in his beautiful T210, so he would not be compelled to descend from the flight levels and land when nature called during long trips.

First trip after installation, nature called and he gloatingly got the funnel and tube, unzipped, hitched himself up and went to work.

Thus was born the "Relief Tube Checklist," the 1st item of which is "verify funnel attached to tube."

The funnel's outlet was close to the tube, such that some of the offending liquid was whisked away, but most of it ended up in the beautiful new leather-upholstered seat, as our intrepid pilot discovered when he plopped down into the seat. He had traded one kind of distress for another, and got to ride the rest of the way sitting in his own mess. Apparently, the walk into the FBO was a walk of shame.

#3. Repeat steps 1 and 2

I should note that, at least in my plane, refilling is only accomplished when solo or with immediate family on board (i.e. wife/kids). I make a point of intentionally limiting my fluid consumption when other passengers are in the plane. The last long family trip we did, in the plane, diapers were still the norm for the kids, but the 414 has a relief tube and a potty, so I suspect we'll be making use of that at least with our son. The girls are still in diapers.

When I was flying the Navajo and the Cheyenne (2 pilot), which had relief tubes in the way back of the plane, we'd just tell the other guy we were heading back for a minute. We were men of at least reasonable intelligence, and knew well enough to keep looking forward while the other pilot was off doing something else. There are stories of guys flying those (or other similarly equipped planes) single pilot, walking in back, and then having the autopilot kick off. I'd not do that, personally.

Don't forget to tell approach you need to go off frequency for a minute.

Only if you're an amateur. If you're a pro you can change frequencies and hand fly the plane while refilling. Sort of like to be a member of the mile high club and have it count you need to be hand flying the whole time.

However, I do wonder if ATC has a camera, since it seems like they have an uncanny ability to call you right as you've started.

... She wasn't too thrilled with that, but I told her that it shouldn't be too difficult, as the plane is trimmed out nicely - just make the small corrections, if needed. I had to slide my seat back to unzip and pull my shorts down and press the opening of this pee bag as close as I possibly could to my body to keep from having anything from going astray

I have empty water bottles and Gatorade bottles on board and use them on all the longer flights (which is most of mine as I tend to fly 4 hour legs). Probably use one every flight, seal it securely, and unload it at the FBO bathroom and throw away after use.

DrewG: You'll find if you fly lots of long flights that things get boring, you've already called in a PIREP to FSS, taken pictures of whatever is in the area. scanned gauges for the millionth time ... what else is there to do? EXPERIMENT. I found when solo or with a PAX, if you put the seats back as far as they go and store everything possible as far aft as you can (within CG limits of course), the rearward weight transfer allows you to pick up a couple/few knots of speed (tail not having to pick up the nose as much).

Back