OK, so my steam VSI is tango uniform ...

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
The airplane has been sitting in a reconstruction phase for over 18 months. THe VSI has gone TU, reading 5000' down just sitting there. I'm sure the AI and the rest of the steam instruments are about as happy as the VSI.

I've got an elderly 182A. I'm not all that shot up about stuff that won't fit into a 3" or 2" instrument hole. I am NOT going to hacksaw the panel up to install the latest and greatest rectangular instruments. Nor can I afford them.

If I were you, what replacements would you do, with the understanding that I hate Garmin with a purple passion for being the Apple of the aviation world?

Yes, I can install anything I damn well please to give me IFR capability, including the squirrel in the cage running the gyros if that is what it takes.

Thoughts (mostly outside the boxes boxes edges) if you please.

Jim

The best answer is Garmin G5 or GI-275. Since Garmin is not an option for you, lets hope the AV-30 gets certified soon!

11-17556a.jpg

Not out of the box, but based on those requirements, seems like an overhaul by AQI for $175...

Just so you know, those “square” instruments don’t require square holes. Most fit just fine in the round hole that’s already there.

The airplane has been sitting in a reconstruction phase for over 18 months. THe VSI has gone TU, reading 5000' down just sitting there. I'm sure the AI and the rest of the steam instruments are about as happy as the VSI.

I've got an elderly 182A. I'm not all that shot up about stuff that won't fit into a 3" or 2" instrument hole. I am NOT going to hacksaw the panel up to install the latest and greatest rectangular instruments. Nor can I afford them.

If I were you, what replacements would you do, with the understanding that I hate Garmin with a purple passion for being the Apple of the aviation world?

Yes, I can install anything I damn well please to give me IFR capability, including the squirrel in the cage running the gyros if that is what it takes.

Thoughts (mostly outside the boxes boxes edges) if you please.

Jim
Sounds like you want us to tell you to just overhaul your VSI.

Just send out what you have for $175 + shipping and call it a day.

Not out of the box, but based on those requirements, seems like an overhaul by AQI for $175...
Apparently you haven't read my horror stories here about having every instrument in my airplane overhauled by AQI shortly after I bought it and did a panel upgrade. Every last one of them was a paperweight on my desk not long after.

I've had both my Air speed indicator overhauled by AQI eight years ago when I bought my plane and realized it was off 15 knot once over stall speed as well as an old Vertical Speed Indicator that the paint was falling off the needle and background faded to 'new' condition last year the week before my Pitot check and had no problems out of either. quick turn around both times and great service on phone when I sent them in.

I think the prices range from $175 to $225 depending on the instrument, stinks that a small handful of people have not had good luck as the prices are some of the least I've had to pay when something on my little Cherokee plane 'broke' and needed attention.

maybe it's just me but a VSI is exactly the last gauge I would ever consider replacing with a glass equivalent. It gives you the information you need to know at a quick glance. Why make things more difficult and expensive than they need to be?

about AQI - they had to overhaul my altimeter twice before they got it right. this was few months back. they did offer a exchange if the last fix didnt solve the problem. the point is, you might have to send it back a couple of times. i have other instruments IRAN from them, those are still holding up (done exactly 1 year ago)

Do what I did, cruise all the type boards and exp groups and find someone that just had to have the big rectangular box. I got a serviceable vsi for 50 bucks a couple of months ago when mine went tu.

Back