Oil Brand / Type

Live in Florida and use XC 20W-50 year round in my Mooney with Camguard. 1200 hours in the engine with excellent compression and good oil analysis report.

Last edited:
In the IO-550 I just use Aeroshell 15W50. I pick it up a the local shell distributor in the area (primarily caters to truckers but they do have Aeroshell).

Careful with that... While the starter adapter problems I experienced were on the O-470, I don't dare run Aeroshell in the IO-550 for fear of causing the same problem (and having to pay the entire bill this time instead of sharing it with 30 others).

We argue about what oil we PREFER and swear that its the best and we all are positive of our opinions.

Yet any automotive oil will work as well, probably better.
that is probably true AFTER we get unleaded fuel

Back in the day, I knew a lot of dragsters that were making 600 hp on 100/130 and using Caster oil. The only problem with using the Lipid oils is you must change the oil much more often.

Back in the day, I knew a lot of dragsters that were making 600 hp on 100/130 and using Caster oil. The only problem with using the Lipid oils is you must change the oil much more often.

But boy did it smell good......:yes::yes::):):)...

I still have a few bottles of Castrol r-30 bean oil in the shop and I run Klotz Castor based Super Techniplate Racing oil in every 2 storke I run... From myopen mod alky burning sled to all my chain saws........

Did I mention I LOVE the smell.....:):):)

Yep. And I, for one, am looking forward to that day. Would love to get the lead out of my engine.

There is always an option to pre-heat. you just need the right equipment. I know several operators that pre-heat on floats. and several more that pre-heat in the bush with no support of any kind.

Always?

I'll stick to my split weights, just like everyone who operates in this area.

No need to preheat if the plane's floating on water. Even in cold air temps the body of water keeps the plane pretty toasty. De-fogging? That'll need heat, but the engine heat will handle it quickly enough.

I have a couple of camp stove heaters. They require that you attend the plane while they burn. Not fun in a -30 breeze. Carrying a small generator is way better. Keep it indoors overnight, start it and plug the plane in in the morning, go back inside for coffee and a catnap.

Well, I talked to our mechanic today and told him about this starter plate oil controversy and he said we all need more fiber in our diet cuz we're full of it! :lol:

Ron isn't the internet type however.

I have a couple of cases of Elite left in the barn. Ron said use it up and quit worrying.

Well, I talked to our mechanic today and told him about this starter plate oil controversy and he said we all need more fiber in our diet cuz we're full of it! :lol:

I have a couple of cases of Elite left in the barn. Ron said use it up and quit worrying.

Does he also tell you you're going to destroy your engine running LOP?

Elite complies with the Lycoming AD by use of a different chemical than TSP. it will not harm your starter. it is a great oil if you like to spend the extra bucks.

Elite complies with the Lycoming AD by use of a different chemical than TSP. it will not harm your starter. it is a great oil if you like to spend the extra bucks.

I get a little break buying it tax exempt from my Exxon farm diesel people.

I do fly to the farms.

So there IRS! ;)

It is not a great oil, it has the same synthetic base stock as Aeroshell 15-50. When mixed with the byproducts of combustion of 100LL, it becomes corrosive.

The MSDS for LW-16702 seems to disagree with you -- no TCP at all. Do you have a source for your claim to the contrary?

Believe it did have TCP at one point. Most of the people using TCP as an additive switched to Triphenyl Phosphate because it has similar qualities but isn't as toxic (skin absorbed) as TCP.

Last edited:
Lean to peak EGT then enrichen the mixture to 50-75 celsius below peak.

With no analyzer, I can't watch individual cylinder temps. :redface:

So that is operating right in the most potentially destructive range. As long as you are not running at high power levels you'll be ok. You really do want to know your individual CHTs though when you operate like that. You may want to invest in a nice engine monitor.

That I don't know.

It's a 1964 0-470R Continental. :dunno:

It is not a sky-tec starter or anything like that.

Sorry I missed this ,, Yes the 0-470 has a friction clutch adaptor.

Your starter adaptor should some thing like this, it is not the starter motor that is included.

Attachments

• starter drive.JPG
    starter drive.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 25
  • starter drive 1.JPG
    starter drive 1.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 22
  • vac pump.JPG
    vac pump.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
My starter clutches have balked at semi-synthetic oil but never have had a hiccup with w100 Plus. I've never heard anything about the Lycoming additive being bad for TCM starters until this thread. The notion that semi-synthetics are bad is pretty much universal among my friends who have TCMs and is echoed by RAM Aircraft. No mention of the anti scuff additive causing problems. I wonder why?

http://www.ramaircraft.com/Maintenance-Tips/Oil-Recommendations.htm

Last edited:
My starter clutches have balked at semi-synthetic oil but never have had a hiccup with w100 Plus. I've never heard anything about the Lycoming additive being bad for TCM starters until this thread. The notion that semi-synthetics are bad is pretty much universal among my friends who have TCMs and is echoed by RAM Aircraft. No mention of the anti scuff additive causing problems. I wonder why?

http://www.ramaircraft.com/Maintenance-Tips/Oil-Recommendations.htm

Probably because starter drives are not something they address as a repair issue they see. They put new/overhaul ones on, and by the time there is a problem, it's a local mechanic taking care of it outside of warranty. When you add a phosphate, you add a salt of phosphoric acid.

Nope. I don't think so. I have lots of friends who are pilots and mechanics. I don't think they have problems with the anti scuff additives in oil as long as the oil isn't semi-synthetic. That's exactly what my own experience has been.

I inherited a 500hr IO-540 that has run Aeroshell 15W-50 SOH and is 79/80 across the board. My first oil change is coming up and I intend to continue the Aeroshell... even though I value many of the other opinions in this thread.

Here is an interesting study from Blackstone with some hard analysis data:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/about-aircraft-oils.php

Interested to hear comments on this.

That's Ed's story, not Exxon's, and Ed's trying to sell his CamGuard. And no other source confirms Ed's story. OTOH, independent testing shows significantly better corrosion protection with Exxon Elite versus Aeroshell 15W50. So, who are we to believe? Someone trying to sell his product or everyone else?

The last shop I worked in we had about 50 or so aircraft based with us. Of all the snake oils that owners drug up to add to their oil the cam guard was the only product we could see results from on the SOAP analysis. I don't know squat about the developers story but I think the stuff works as advertised. The aircraft that we found to benefit the most were ones that were underutilized. Which i think lends some credibility to the anticorrosion claims of the cam guard.

Sams club carries Shell W100 in some stores. I think it is a throwback to Sam Walton puttering around in his C 150

You mean his Bonanza. I don't doubt that he ever flew a 150, but when he traveled by air it was in a Bonanza. The IA at my old home field met him one time when he flew in. He said he was in shoes with holes in the soles, a suit with the lining tearing out and in what he called a "beat up" Bonanza.

You mean his Bonanza. I don't doubt that he ever flew a 150, but when he traveled by air it was in a Bonanza. The IA at my old home field met him one time when he flew in. He said he was in shoes with holes in the soles, a suit with the lining tearing out and in what he called a "beat up" Bonanza.

He also had an old 182, I fueled him in it once at Harrison Arkansas. I asked him why he was flying a 182 instead of a G-IV. He said the G-IV couldn't do what the 182 does. What he used it for was to loiter over areas and watch traffic patterns when he was figuring out where to put a new store.

What does lead do to the carbon deposits in your engine?

Glues it to your valve stems, seats, and faces to cause top ends to wear out. Basically every issue that we have with cylinders comes from the mixture of carbon and lead. With unleaded fuel and EFI cylinders would go way longer than they do now.

Back