Oil Analysis Question

The torque spec for oil filters is there for a reason, and I do, in fact, use a torque wrench when installing one. I've seen filters torqued far beyond specs that literally had to be destroyed to remove them thanks to someone illiterate enough to not understand the service manual. Having to chisel off the base of the filter after some 'Gorilla' over-tightened it to his preferences is not a task I wish to deal with.

LOL. Apparently it's far too much trouble for some people to use a torque wrench, and preferable to turn it until "it feels right".

Good thing they aren't rebuilding engines, tightening fasteners until they "feel right". And we wonder why the FAA is so restrictive about what work owners can do. :rolleyes:

We've been using Blackstone for 12 years now...great customer service, and good communication of what the report means.

Ditto Blackstone. Great people and service.

Blackstone for analysis.

Yes, of course I use torque wrench for filter.
Swipe of oil on seal.

I wonder who removes, inspects and cleans the finger screen when doing an oil change? I do on my IO-360. I also wonder who knows the proper orientation of the crush washer, and how to torque it when replacing it?

I once determined that "finger tight" on a motorcycle drain plug was good for 400 miles before a loss of oil pressure.

How many torque wrench users tighten until the "click", then gives a little extra oomph for good measure?

I don't use a torque wrench, my mechanic does...

I once determined that "finger tight" on a motorcycle drain plug was good for 400 miles before a loss of oil pressure.

Good for those quick on the road oil changes...:lol::lol:

I will admit to filling the engine with the correct amount of oil, checking the dipstick, and wonder why there is no oil on the stick....hmmmm..... who spilled all that oil on the floor...???? :rofl::rofl:

My oil changes would be a lot easier if I could get a socket on the filter. As it is I can barely get an open end on it. Thank goodness for the -1" filters!

Oiled gasket contact plus 3/4 turn. It's worked fine for a long time.

My oil changes would be a lot easier if I could get a socket on the filter. As it is I can barely get an open end on it. e.
How to use a torque wrench in tight places w a crows foot adapter

Naw, my way works fine. I know how to use the torque wrench, it just isn't worth it. My filter area is tight. I already have to remove the cabin heat controls. Before the short filters I had to remove the starter, too. The big interference source is the motor mount. Can't move that.

No torque wrench on a filter is easy. Do oil changes on a Lycoming with a screen. Everyone over tightens those bolts and mushrooms or cracks the screen housing. What a pain!

Back