Oh the rust!

TinmanJones

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TinmanJones
I began training for my PPL at the start of 2002. Was flying a couple of days week with my CFI. Soloed & began to build my solo hours. Flew a XC flight right before the airplane owner moved all of his equipment 45 minutes away.
That move put a serious damper on my flight time. With my work schedule, there was just no time to get to the airplane.
My last flight was mid 2002 with my log book at 36.5 hours.

Fast forward to today, 15 years later, I have a meeting with my new CFI this week.
I have a 3rd Class Medical scheduled for next week (since its been over 10yrs).

I'm beyond excited to finally get back in the airplane.
I know I'll be extremely rusty. Possibly like being a complete noob.
Some have said "it's like riding a bike."
I don't know about that, but I hope it's "kinda" accurate.

Can't wait to get started.

Welcome back! I had a similar experience when I started training. Got to around 35 hours and then was transferred from Korea to McGuire AFB in 1974 so I didn't finish in Korea. Economy was terrible and with a baby on the way I didn't have money for flight lessons. Took about a year or so to get back on my feet and started again. It was almost like learning to fly all over again. But, I finished and ended up with a professional flying career. You'll get there this time, I know you will. Best of luck and success to you. Again, welcome back!

You'll be surprised at what you remember and surprised at what you forgot. After I got my PPL I got married and as soon as kids came there was no more flying. After 10 years I took it back up and found the flying never seems to leave. Maybe a little rust but the flying seemed easy for me. The rules, regs and equipment are the tough part for me. I've spent a lot of time on this site and others brushing up on what I forgot. One thing I learned is don't be afraid to ask. You won't always get the correct answer but there will always be a lively discussion. Good luck!!!

Welcome back @TinmanJones. You’ll be surprised at what you remember and surprised at what you forgot. But it won’t be hard. I did an eight year hiatus once. BTDT. You’ll have fun.

I'm amazed that the muscle memory of how to fly the plane through the eye of a needle is back as good as ever.
What is rusty is all of the confident knowledge of spotting landmarks and figuring approach to landing patterns.

I was away for 25 years... The Mechanics came back pretty easily... But there was a lot of catching up to do with airspace changes, etc...

I did a 32 year absence from flying. Just got my Biannual and type certification taken care of last month. I found a great CFI who got me up to speed in about 10 hours of dual.

And yes, it is "like riding a bicycle". The flying part came back very quickly. It took me one lesson to land the plane - that was really the only worrisome part for me and it shouldn't have been - it was easy.

I do have to say I was - and still am - shocked at the new navigation technology. I enjoy using my calculator and paper charts - the pilotage part always interested me. Still, I can see how pilots can forget about using their skills nowadays and relying on their smart phones and tablets. I have and use Garmin Pilot as a "CFI" in the cockpit with me now, but I try not to forget the basic pilotage skills that I have re-learned.

I am continuing on and will start my IFR training next year. Did I miss out of alot of flying? Obviously yes, but at 54 years old I am not going to miss out on anymore!

Good luck and get back flying! You won't regret it!

I did a 32 year absence from flying. Just got my Biannual and type certification taken care of last month. I found a great CFI who got me up to speed in about 10 hours of dual.

And yes, it is "like riding a bicycle". The flying part came back very quickly. It took me one lesson to land the plane - that was really the only worrisome part for me and it shouldn't have been - it was easy.

I do have to say I was - and still am - shocked at the new navigation technology. I enjoy using my calculator and paper charts - the pilotage part always interested me. Still, I can see how pilots can forget about using their skills nowadays and relying on their smart phones and tablets. I have and use Garmin Pilot as a "CFI" in the cockpit with me now, but I try not to forget the basic pilotage skills that I have re-learned.

I am continuing on and will start my IFR training next year. Did I miss out of alot of flying? Obviously yes, but at 54 years old I am not going to miss out on anymore!

Good luck and get back flying! You won't regret it!
Congrats!!

What's a type certification?

See - I am so new to being back I don't even know what it was called that my CFI signed off on in my log book! I just know he said I was allowed to fly P28 Cherokees!

Technically with a private pilot's license and a couple endorsements you could just go fly a Pilatus as well :). That's the awesome part about the license. Don't need a type certification for anything, sometimes endorsements, but not always.

When I was going through training the CFI compared flying different planes to just different makes and models of cars. You don't need a type certification to drive a Ford vs a Volkswagen for example, so if you want to go fly a Piper, Cessna, RV, Beechcraft, etc..doesn't matter they are just different "makes" with instruments in different positions possibly, different quirks, different systems, but at the core, still ASEL :).

A pilot or any airman for that matter should fully understand the privileges and limitations of his certificate.

I fully understand what the limitations are of my certificate - I momentarily did not remember what the nomenclature was in regard to my "endorsement" to fly a P28. Besides, the limitations and privileges are the "baseline" - what I am allowed to fly and the conditions thereof are a much wider net than what my own personal restrictions are.

I still have an endorsement in my logbook for 172's. I definitely would not go fly one until I was thoroughly checked out for one by a CFI.

I fully understand what the limitations are of my certificate - I momentarily did not remember what the nomenclature was in regard to my "endorsement" to fly a P28. Besides, the limitations and privileges are the "baseline" - what I am allowed to fly and the conditions thereof are a much wider net than what my own personal restrictions are.

I still have an endorsement in my logbook for 172's. I definitely would not go fly one until I was thoroughly checked out for one by a CFI.

I think that's what @SkyDog58 was getting at. You don't need an "endorsement" for 172s. If you have a private pilot license you are legally able to fly them, no endorsement necessary.

A checkout is simply for renting. You don't get endorsed for doing a checkout, you just get "checked out". Nothing need be added to your logbook. The CFI makes a note in the rental system that you can fly them and the insurance company is happy.

Technically speaking, if insurance wasn't a "thing" your private pilot license, current flight review and a medical/basicmed is all you need to go fly that plane today. Doesn't matter what the CFI says and it doesn't matter what they endorse.

One of the FBOs near me requires a separate checkout for:

C162
C172 (analog)
C172 (G1000)

That's three SEPARATE checkouts. It's a scam...but if insurance requires it, there you go. To do all three would be like $1000...

A log book endorsement is required for a student pilot for each make and model. It's good for 90 days. The CFI must endorse your log book again. 61.87 (p) (4)

EDIT: this only applies to student pilots. Not a certificated pilot like the pilot whose post I replied to.

Last edited:
A log book endorsement is required for a student pilot for each make and model. It's good for 90 days. The CFI must endorse your log book again. 61.87 (p) (4)

True but he's not a student pilot, he did his BFR so that implies he's not a student anymore. Unless BFR's are required for student pilots all of a sudden. See post #9

True but he's not a student pilot, he did his BFR so that implies he's not a student anymore. Unless BFR's are required for student pilots all of a sudden. See post #9
I was still with the Original Post, #1, the returning to training student pilot. I missed that I was replying to a Certificated pilot returning to flying after an absence.

Thanks so much for all the comments & encouragement.
I'm having a tough time nailing down days with my CFI.
I'm hoping the communication gets better.
I've expressed to him I'd like to secure atleast 2 days a week for sure, & 3 if our schedules will allow. But his communication back to me is lacking.

I'm grateful for these forums. So much information within these pages.
Thanks again yall.

You just have to learn to ignore the lingo police around POA that love to correct any deviation of verbiage, capitalization, punctuation, etc and yada yada. 'its not a license it a certificate' yea whatever.... dont feel like you have to argue with them or justify yourself, you'll save a LOT of effort and wasted time.

Back