Oh Deer!

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Karen was already up at our Lenoir City, TN property and shot this arrival:

I was super primed to go around just in case there were more lurking in the wings, but luckily there weren't.

She told me that just prior she had also chased some wild turkeys off!

Cool Video, had bears run across the runway while I was landing in Gustavis, AK. Didn't need a seatbelt to hold my butt to the seat..

My did lived in Tellico Village, saw lots of deer on the roads in Loudon, TN. Hit one, one morning when I was on my way to see my mother who was in a hospice, lucky no real damage to the van. Dads house is next to a fairway of one of the golf courses in Tellico Village, deer all over. His neighbor feeds them by hand. Lucky deer...:)

I was super primed to go around just in case there were more lurking in the wings, but luckily there weren't.

I saw a video one time with a cat lurking in a wing, but I can't inagine deer lurking in a wing. As for the Wild Turkey, just remember the "8 hrs bottle to throttle" rule. Wild Turkey is probably best chased with a cheap American macroswill beer. ;)

Speaking of Wild Turkey, from a recent ride in KY:

35576980774_a95157270c_z.jpg

Pre-planned - if my mains are on the ground, takeoff or landing, Bambi eats the prop. Granted, I'm in a 172, so runway length and my position on it really doesn't really matter a lot. . .

Cool Video, had bears run across the runway while I was landing in Gustavis, AK. Didn't need a seatbelt to hold my butt to the seat.....:)

We abandoned the ramp in Hoonah because an old grizzly started crossing the ramp and was going to check out the plane. I saw more moose in the Gustavis area. Maybe that was why the bears crossed the runway...:lol:

Sounds like you goosed the throttle a little before the flare. Was that part of being primed for a go-around?

Growing up, my dad would say "if you see one deer, count on another one right behind it." In this case, there were three in a row. Nice job keeping cool!

Sounds like you goosed the throttle a little before the flare. Was that part of being primed for a go-around?

I don't hear that, but I was taught to keep just a bit of power in on a soft-field landing. Since I try to be at idle by short final, it often means I add a little back in in the flare. Or I may have still been "jockeying" the power a bit on final. Not sure. But I wish I had had my GoPro running!

No, what you heard was him pumping the primer, as in being "super primed" for a go-around. Real pilots can fly with just a trim crank and a primer knob. Hope this clears it all up. Oh, and they have high wings and landing gear set up to scoot like a dog with an itchy backside, but that story will have to come after another shot of Wild T-bird.

Don't talk about my PBR that way! :mad:

Mark,

Ya gotta learn to appreciate 'real beer' from the craft breweries. Moose Drool is my favorite; great taste and 6% by volume. Those who like Corona must have no taste buds.

Mark,

Ya gotta learn to appreciate 'real beer' from the craft breweries. Moose Drool is my favorite; great taste and 6% by volume. Those who like Corona must have no taste buds.

Oh I do Norm. Yeah don't care for Corona or Coord. PBR just my everyday, always in stock, after cutting grass beer. We have 4-5 craft breweries in Birmingham and getting one in my town soon. Actually I'll drink any beer as long as it's wet. :p

Back