Oh Deer ... Another Plane Incident

Not that uncommon. The development around here has forced deer into our neighborhood and there have been a couple of near misses on the runway. When I worked at Aberdeen Proving Ground, there were lots of deer out on the test range which was relatively protected except for the odd ordnance round. Standard procedure was to make a few low passes over the runway to drive them off before landing.

One day when I was flying at BJC there was a moose or elk or something big right next to 30L

I've noticed quite a few deer at our county airport. Sometimes a half dozen of so will cross the field when it's quiet. Never been a problem with take-offs or landings so far but there's always a first time. Being villigent is advisable.

I have hit a couple of small birds over the years. No damage that I could find.

I used to know an old crop duster pilot who had a mid-air with a deer while spraying a field.

The more development around the airports , the more common animal strikes will be. We are forcing wildlife out of their habitat.

This past Feb, 11, stopping to fuel up at N79 on the way to KSWF right as dusk approached, there were several deer about 40 yards north of RWY 26, they were far enough away to be no issue. Right as I crossed the threshold, I saw a huge one in the center of 26 staring right at me. Text book go around. Thankfully none anywhere near the field second time around. Certainly got my attention. There are frequently several deer in the SE grass area at the end of RWY 13 at KJOT right in the middle of a densely populated area.

We used to regularly fly into an airport in southeastern Ohio (2G2) to visit family and it wasn't uncommon to have to make a low pass before landing to scatter the deer. I once had to do a low pass to scare a couple coyotes off a runway in Indiana.

The more development around the airports , the more common animal strikes will be. We are forcing wildlife out of their habitat.
Actually, we’re creating more habitat. Deer are creatures of the edges of the forest. We’re creating more edges.

There are frequently several deer in the SE grass area at the end of RWY 13 at KJOT right in the middle of a densely populated area.

KJOT has so far been my only deer encounter. I have had a coyote encounter....on my checkride. That was at KCTK (Canton).

There's an airport near me that has corn planted just about to the edge of the runway... and quite a few that have it pretty darn close.

For you city folk, deer eat corn and it attracts them. Once the stalks get tall it also conceals them.

A buddy of mine hit a cow one day when going under a wire.

We got a lot of mileage out of that one around the office.

He got an answer to the age old question: "where's the beef?" :yesnod:

There was a doe and fawn outside my house this morning nibbling on the liriope. They were maybe six feet from the house.

Very common up here. kOWK has more deer arriving and departing on runways than aircraft. I do my part every white tail season, but I can only eat so much venison…

I used to know an old crop duster pilot who had a mid-air with a deer while spraying a field.
Did he startle the deer and it jumped ? I know they jump high but wow!!

Did he startle the deer and it jumped ? I know they jump high but wow!!
Yes, here's what he said:

He told me the story around 15 years after the incident. He named the exact day it happened and said that was the last day he ever flew a plane. He was spraying a field and came up to a power line. He pulled up, went over the line then pushed down and started spraying again. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a brown thing come from the right into his right field of view. Next thing he knew, the right wing went into the ground, then the nose, then the left wing and he started cartwheeling. He came to rest upside down. He heard the prop clicking as it was still rotating. Fuel was leaking and caught fire. He tried to unbuckle but his arm wouldn't work; he didn't realize it at first but his arm was broken. He managed to get out and spent a couple months in the hospital. He told me the brown thing was a deer that startled, ran into his path and jumped into his wing.

When I knew him he was working as an A&P overhauling turbine air tractors.

Yes, here's what he said:

He told me the story around 15 years after the incident. He named the exact day it happened and said that was the last day he ever flew a plane. He was spraying a field and came up to a power line. He pulled up, went over the line then pushed down and started spraying again. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a brown thing come from the right into his right field of view. Next thing he knew, the right wing went into the ground, then the nose, then the left wing and he started cartwheeling. He came to rest upside down. He heard the prop clicking as it was still rotating. Fuel was leaking and caught fire. He tried to unbuckle but his arm wouldn't work; he didn't realize it at first but his arm was broken. He managed to get out and spent a couple months in the hospital. He told me the brown thing was a deer that startled, ran into his path and jumped into his wing.

When I knew him he was working as an A&P overhauling turbine air tractors.
I didnt realize they fly so low to spray….or so high to strike vehicles! Glad it ended well..ish

Recently moved my plane to a grass strip I'd flown in and out of multiple times with my neighbor. 2nd flight landing right at dusk. When I lowered the nose after touching down, I saw 4 or 5 deer standing 2/3rds the way down the runway. Luckily, I was able to get stopped long before I got to them, and they scattered about the same time I got stopped. (Glad I didn't land long) Come to find out, the owner that had the house at the end of the runway was feeding them. Didn't happen when I used to fly out there years back. I will definitely remember to buzz the runway prior to landing from now on.

I live on my grass strip, surrounded by corn and beans, and especially around dusk there are often deer on the runway. They usually clear out with a low pass, but I always worry about one coming out of the corn at the last second.

When I was learning to fly, I was working at the FBO as a mechanic to pay for my flight time, and the school had a R22 as well. My boss would call me out at the end of work to the helicopter to patrol the perimeter fence for deer. Never found one inside the fence but had a lot of fun looking!

Patrick

Southeast Arizona several years ago at a rural airport noticed a herd of deer in the grass near the runway. Started the takeoff roll and a deer then deliberately and slowly walked onto the runway and just stood there in the middle as we approached. Only after we stopped did the deer walk off the runway. I hope he got to be someone's dinner later.

A few years ago...... Been there.....Done that...
About 70mph...just as I was starting to touch down a deer that I had missed in the herd that had crossed the north end of the runway while I was on final...
This straggler ran across from the right....and as the tires chirped, I hit him mid span in the leading edge of the right wing...I'm thankful he didn't jump, or make it into the prop...Then the bad stuff started to happen....He was wrapped over the leading edge and stuck there.....then the plane started to rotate to the right, and as the plane was starting to try to dip the wing for some extra action ....he slipped off....and I came to a stop sideways with a broken airplane....
Three months in the shop putting things back together.... Keep that insurance paid up.....It could happen to you in a heartbeat.... Deer are totally unpredictable...

Back