Oh, crap...here comes winter...

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
We've got a "Blizzard Watch" posted for Eastern Iowa Tuesday/Wednesday. See: http://www.kcrg.com/weather :nonod:

The snow is supposed to start falling Tuesday morning and basically keep coming all day long, and on into Wednesday. They're even talking about "ThunderSnow" -- something we rarely see. I just fired up my snow blowers at home and at the hotel for the first time since last year, and I'm taking my truck in to have the 4-wheel drive checked out this afternoon.

Of course, by this time last year, we had already been nailed with snowstorms half a dozen times, and run out of salt twice -- so I can't complain TOO much. (And if we don't have a "white Christmas, my kids whine...) But, wow, it's been such a lovely fall. It was in the upper 50s here until just last week. I knew it was too good to last!

We've got a "Blizzard Watch" posted for Eastern Iowa Tuesday/Wednesday. See: http://www.kcrg.com/weather :nonod:

The snow is supposed to start falling Tuesday morning and basically keep coming all day long, and on into Wednesday. They're even talking about "ThunderSnow" -- something we rarely see. I just fired up my snow blowers at home and at the hotel for the first time since last year, and I'm taking my truck in to have the 4-wheel drive checked out this afternoon.

Of course, by this time last year, we had already been nailed with snowstorms half a dozen times, and run out of salt twice -- so I can't complain TOO much. (And if we don't have a "white Christmas, my kids whine...) But, wow, it's been such a lovely fall. It was in the upper 50s here until just last week. I knew it was too good to last!

This storm is supposed to mostly miss us here in Minneapolis but I'm thinking I probably ought to swap the snowblower attachment for the front loader on my tractor today just in case the forecast is in error on that (like that's never happened before).

What is this snow stuff you speak of? Is it anything like the ice we get here occasionally?

:D

we get the southern end which is better or worse depending on your point of view. instead of a day and a half of nice fluffy snow we get a night of snow and a day of freezing rain and another night of snow.

tomorrow might be a good day to make up a few extra hours at work...

Yep.. I'm about to head out and check the 4WD on the Grand Wagoneer. It might be nice to have two 4WD vehicles in the family for this one - looks like a lot of snow in a relatively short period of time.

Maybe it's a going-away present for my wife and I that will be moving from Iowa to Georgia in a few weeks. :)

You're welcome, Jay. ;)

Yep.. I'm about to head out and check the 4WD on the Grand Wagoneer. It might be nice to have two 4WD vehicles in the family for this one - looks like a lot of snow in a relatively short period of time.

Aren't you keeping both 4x4 vehicles in the family anyway since Rachel would shoot you if you got rid of her baby? ;)

and I'm gonna SKI SKI SKI

Hasn't winter been here for quite some time? Here's a picture to get y'all in the mood...

Attachments

• Winter.JPG
    Winter.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 33
I love the snow, mostly so that I can play with my snow-blower.

I feel your pain. Woke up this morning and the news is already on "StormWatch '09". I'm waiting for the report to go outside and show us the rain (cam pans up to streetlight) and show us the stalled out compact in a 4-8" puddle in the intersection.
:D

If it clears up this weekend I'll fly, and see the snow covered ground. It will be beautiful.

I love the snow, mostly so that I can play with my snow-blower.

I remember when I used to enjoy winter. :frown2: That was a looooong time ago.

Now, after 51 winters in a row, I've seen quite enough snow, thank you. The thought of once again shoveling wet, heavy snow is enough to make me want to chuck it all.

If I could find a reasonably-priced sun-belt business to buy, I'd already be outta this crazy climate. To that end we're headed down to lovely Port Aransas, Texas in a couple of weeks -- our third trip there this year --and I'm going to once again see if we can close the deal on a hotel on Mustang Island. Arrgggh! I've been dinking around with this seller since last APRIL...

It's all coming down to a race between his business failure, and my utter distaste and disdain for winter. Whoever hits their limit of either one first will blink! :mad2:

We're in the blizzard zone too. I went out to the airport this AM and explained to the Chief that I might not be able to visit it every day like I usually do, and not to be concerned but to be thankful for the nice enclosed hangar, and I promised that we'd do lots of flying once spring comes again. Then I climbed in and sat there for 15 minutes, imagining green grass and blue sky and slipping in to a landing on a beautiful turf strip.

Then I climbed in and sat there for 15 minutes, imagining green grass and blue sky and slipping in to a landing on a beautiful turf strip.

Stop it! Stop it! That hurts! :fingerwag:

We've been so danged busy for the last few weeks, we've only flown twice in the last month. And the Ercoupe didn't fly at ALL for the entire month of November. This is the least flying I've done in 15 years.

We're hoping to fly to Texas, but this sort of weather makes driving the motor home look more likely...

Yeah the weather guys are predicting a foot or so of snow tuesday night. I can live with that. It's the next night I'm dreading :yikes:

Wednesday
Night
blizzard20.jpg

Blowing
Snow
Lo 3 °F

Yeah Winter sucks---It rained today here at the airpark. Temp won't break 60 today another frigid Arizona day. Bah Humbug,:D

All kidding aside (and you suck, BTW), it HAS been pretty cold down your way this fall. I've got Port A's weather on my desktop, and until this last week our temperatures have been very similar (40s and 50s).

I know Texas isn't all that close to AZ, but still -- when it's in the 40s on the Gulf of Mexico, by South Padre island, that's COLD.

Aren't you keeping both 4x4 vehicles in the family anyway since Rachel would shoot you if you got rid of her baby? ;)

You got that right, Ted. It makes no sense to take the stupid thing to Georgia with us. There's no way it will pass emissions testing, and we don't really NEED it, but I just can't part with it yet :)

You got that right, Ted. It makes no sense to take the stupid thing to Georgia with us. There's no way it will pass emissions testing, and we don't really NEED it, but I just can't part with it yet :)

Failure to pass emissions testing hasn't stopped me from owning and driving a vehicle yet. I see no reason for it to stop you. :)

Yeah the weather guys are predicting a foot or so of snow tuesday night. I can live with that. It's the next night I'm dreading :yikes:

Wednesday
Night
blizzard20.jpg

Blowing
Snow
Lo 3 °F

I wouldn't worry too much then, its when they say you are just going to get a dusting you have to worry.

I'll take snow any day over the ice we got last January here in NW AR. Back when I lived in WV, I used to love to go play in the snow. Of course I was younger then... :D

We're supposed to get sleet first. that'll turn to ice. Then we get snow, then we get back side and it moves off about 12N on Thursday.

The jetstream forecast looks like last years'....every 4 day ice and sleet. Merry Christmas.

Some of our farmers are out there tonight....they are getting clobbered.

Last edited:
Well, you could be here where it is a nice balmy...

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]CYYC 080500Z 22005KT 15SM SKC M25/M29 A2993 RMK SLP253[/FONT]

But at least it's clear... and it's a dry cold. :eek:

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]CYYC 080500Z 22005KT 15SM SKC M25/M29 A2993 RMK SLP253[/FONT]

I shivered just reading that! :yikes:

And Phoenix in the summer is *HOT*! But it's a dry heat....

(*chortle*)

'nuther beer run already? Must be hockey season...

Geez, Mari, do you get chartered to find the coldest spot on earth?

just started raining here.

got an email from grandma last night. my uncle in iowa was doing his best to get his corn out of the field. he might have to leave some in the field...

just started raining here.

got an email from grandma last night. my uncle in iowa was doing his best to get his corn out of the field. he might have to leave some in the field...

Bummer. I think Thursday is the deadline to make a crop insurance claim, for the USDA backed insurance anyway...

Trapper John

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KOJC 081415Z 08011G16KT 1 3/4SM BR OVC004 M02/M02 A2984 RMK AO2[/FONT]

KMKC 081354Z 10009KT 2 1/2SM UP BR OVC004 M02/M03 A2990 RMK AO2 UPB34 SLP133 P0000 T10171028

Not real cold yet, that comes tomorrow. But I did break out my winter coat today.

KMKC 081124Z 0812/0912 06008KT 5SM BR OVC008
TEMPO 0812/0814 2SM -SN BR OVC005
FM081400 09012KT 5SM -FZDZSN BR OVC008
FM082100 11010KT 1SM -SN OVC006
TEMPO 0823/0903 1/2SM SN VV003
FM090300 26015KT 4SM -SN OVC006

Last edited:
Some of our farmers are out there tonight....they are getting clobbered.

Same here in Iowa. There is a lot of unharvested corn still in the fields. It's snowing here now, and by this time tomorrow that corn will be lost. (Although I've been told that they may be able to still get some of it in the spring, if the deer haven't eaten it all.)

Back