Oh, crap...here comes winter...

Same here in Iowa. There is a lot of unharvested corn still in the fields. It's snowing here now, and by this time tomorrow that corn will be lost. (Although I've been told that they may be able to still get some of it in the spring, if the deer haven't eaten it all.)

It is possible to get corn out in the spring as long as the stalk keeps it up off the ground. It will likely be graded as damaged and bring a lower price, though. In some parts of North Dakota, they will run combines in snow drifts as long as the drifts don't reach the ear.

What hurt the farmers this year was the shortage of propane for grain drying. Due to the wet spring this year, crops were planted late. That meant a later than normal maturity date which meant higher moisture content than desirable when harvesting. Elevators won't store corn unless it's <14.5% and a lot of farmers were harvesting around 22%. Elevators were turning farmers away at noon on some days b/c their grain driers and wet storage bins were full. The farmers that had their own grain drying operation couldn't get propane to keep themselves running.

Was predicted to be a record crop, too....

Just heard a weatherman on TV (weather channel) say that this storm could be the largest in 20 years for Iowa. What a nice going away present for me and Rachel. ;)

yea grandma was telling me about that too chris. they were getting daily deliveries from the propane guy. he was delivering whatever he could get. stars were just not aligned this fall...

Welp...no flying today!

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KLNK 081628Z 04014KT 1/2SM R36/2400V3500FT SN VV005 M07/M09 A2979 RMK AO2 P0000[/FONT]
KLNK 081443Z 0815/0912 06010KT 1SM -SN OVC009
TEMPO 0815/0818 1/2SM SN VV004
FM081800 05010KT 1SM -SN OVC006
TEMPO 0818/0821 1/2SM SN VV005
FM082100 02015G25KT 3/4SM -SN VV002
FM090100 35022G32KT 1/2SM SN BLSN VV002
FM091000 34020G32KT 2SM BLSN BKN015 OVC050

yea grandma was telling me about that too chris. they were getting daily deliveries from the propane guy. he was delivering whatever he could get. stars were just not aligned this fall...

One man's pain is another man's windfall. I just filled our RV up at a local propane dealer, and he's having his best year, EVER.

The only other guy I know that is having that kind of a year is a business that specializes in cannibalizing bankrupt domestic factories and selling off the parts overseas. He's been going 110% for the last 18 months, and is just rolling in money. (He's bought three airplanes in the last year, so at least that money is going to good use!)

Sadly, he told me that his business is finally slowing down -- because there are no more North American factories left to shut down... :nonod:

Last edited:
I officially measured it....8 inches from snow top to dirt. ...And its still falling!

good news from home, my uncle got all of his corn out. i dont think they did much sleeping the last night but by mid-day of the first snow day it was all out. i guess it was snowing pretty good by the time they were finished. said they had about 40 acres of corn in various grain carts, trailers, etc. since the dryer wasn't keeping up with them.

whew!

good news from home, my uncle got all of his corn out. i dont think they did much sleeping the last night but by mid-day of the first snow day it was all out. i guess it was snowing pretty good by the time they were finished. said they had about 40 acres of corn in various grain carts, trailers, etc. since the dryer wasn't keeping up with them.

whew!

Good deal! Hopefully they can get it out of the trucks before it freezes into one massive block.

We used to spray the bed of the lime trucks with antifreeze to keep it from freezing to the truck. Very EPA friendly. ;)

We used to spray the bed of the lime trucks with antifreeze to keep it from freezing to the truck. Very EPA friendly. ;)

Note to self: Don't eat ChrisBrand corn. ;)

Good deal! Hopefully they can get it out of the trucks before it freezes into one massive block.

What a stunning change in weather, no?

A week ago, I was working on my motor home at my hangar. Ten days ago, I was working in shirtsleeves, cuz it was 60 degrees. Today, you would be dead in an hour if you tried that. (It's about 10 above zero here right now.) :yikes:

13.3" of snow here. There's a 6' drift across the airport parking lot...can't even get up to the terminal. The boys have their work cut out for them. My driveway is still full...snow removal crew not here yet, but I broke through to the street with the Jeep.

13.3" of snow here. There's a 6' drift across the airport parking lot...can't even get up to the terminal. The boys have their work cut out for them. My driveway is still full...snow removal crew not here yet, but I broke through to the street with the Jeep.

This is BS. We didn't get jack here, and I've got skiing to do. :)

Was in San Jose Monday and Tuesday, snow visible in the mountains. Our flight had to be de-iced yesterday morning before we could get out.

Winter in the midwest. One of the many reasons the cost of living is so cheap. You guys whine too much. Snow can be cast aside, and cold can be easily overcome with warm clothing. I probably won't get to fly in the lee of this one, which is a shame. Next one though.

Grr. I love snow. Send some my way. Please!

Not much snow here in the "Hole"..But it was -26f last night so winter is on the way.:):smile::yesnod:

A co-worker has a daughter who grew up here in Atlanta, and is now a freshman at Iowa State. This is her first real winter storm, and what a doozie. Take a look http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/webcam/isucam/ .
She called before the storm and asked if he thought the would suspend classes, and he said no. He was wrong, they did....

A co-worker has a daughter who grew up here in Atlanta, and is now a freshman at Iowa State. This is her first real winter storm, and what a doozie. Take a look http://www.fpm.iastate.edu/webcam/isucam/ .
She called before the storm and asked if he thought the would suspend classes, and he said no. He was wrong, they did....

Cool.. What's she majoring in?? My wife and I will both graduate from Iowa State next week.... FINALLY. ;) After that, we're moving back south to the Atlanta area.

My first winter after moving here from Alabama (2000-2001), we set a record for the longest continuous snowcover (roughly Thanksgiving through early April). They also canceled classes at ISU two days because of windchilles of -70*F.

This winter, my last, we have experienced state record-setting snow fall and they once again canceled class for one day this week. So I guess I came in with a bang, so might as well go out with a bang. :D

Last edited:
Cool.. What's she majoring in?? My wife and I will both graduate from Iowa State next week.... FINALLY. ;) After that, we're moving back south to the Atlanta area.

My first winter after moving here from Alabama (2000-2001), we set a record for the longest continuous snowcover (roughly Thanksgiving through early April). They also canceled classes at ISU two days because of windchilles of -70*F.

This winter, my last, we have experienced state record-setting snow fall and they once again canceled class for one day this week. So I guess I came in with a bang, so might as well go out with a bang. :D
I don't think she even knows what to major in. She was a top state level gymnast here in Atlanta, and was desperate to get into a school with a good gymnastics program. She had scholarship offers from other schools, but really wanted Iowa State for their program, so off she went. $$$$$$:eek:
Which part of ATL will you be in (Southwest, if I remember correctly)? and what will you be doing for gainful employment here? And welcome home by the way. :smile:

I don't think she even knows what to major in. She was a top state level gymnast here in Atlanta, and was desperate to get into a school with a good gymnastics program. She had scholarship offers from other schools, but really wanted Iowa State for their program, so off she went. $$$$$$:eek:
Which part of ATL will you be in (Southwest, if I remember correctly)? and what will you be doing for gainful employment here? And welcome home by the way. :smile:

Yuck. Doesn't Alabama have a good gymnastics program? Tuscaloosa would be much more enjoyable than Ames today. Freezing drizzle overnight followed by about 1" of snow this morning. Now the temp is dropping like a rock: 33F at 7am this morning and shooting for 12F this evening. :(

As for Atlanta - we'll be living in the Fayetteville area, but I'll be working at a large logistics company in Fairburn.

Back