Oh Continental, what have you done now?

No. The FAA threw out the 200-hour concept from the MSB when they issued the AD.

The flowchart is helpful other than not quite resolving the argument in this thread regarding whether a mechanic has to log AD compliance before flight for applicable engine models that do not require inspection. I think they left that slightly vague on purpose to get this thread up to 15 pages.

it's surprising to me how many here are wanting to create work for themselves

the FAA took the complaints of their somewhat vague original AD and made a flowchart to really spell it out for people. basically saying to anybody who hasn't changed their crankshaft in the past 2 years that they have to do absolutely nothing

if you want to have it signed off, go ahead. i think it's not a bad idea just because if some future person is wondering if this applies they can see the log entry instead of digging up the crank serial. but the idea that your airplane which hasn't had crankshaft work in 20 years is grounded by this AD related to parts manufactured in mid-2021 is just nuts

Factory reman born in 1996 that has never been apart.

"AD 2023-05-16
effective date 15 March 2023 “Counterweight Retaining Rings” Does not apply per engine serial number and no crankshaft servicing occurred between given dates"

Whatever AD logging app my IA uses flagged this AD for consideration regardless. So he had to sign-off as N/A. Lands more on the side that if the engine model is listed, some sort of sign off is required.

because if some future person is wondering if this applies

That future person, by necessity, will be the next IA doing your annual. Possibly even the next A&P to touch your engine if that is before your next annual. There was no provision in the AD for you to wait until your annual for that next person to do the "wondering".

There was no provision in the AD for you to wait until your annual for that next person to do the "wondering".

If the AD applies.

The fact that this thread is going on 245 posts long is proof that it is not a settled question, as much as both sides wish it were.

If you have a 360, 470, 520, or 550 the AD will come up in a standard engine AD search. A sign-off is thus required. For all but 2000 engines or so (it has been said) the sign-off will be some version of "NA." Seems kind of settled.

If the AD applies.

The fact that this thread has gone on as long as it has is proof of why we need IAs to be looking over our airplanes every year.

Anyone who cites the flowchart in the revised AD needs to read the footnote at the bottom of the flowchart. It isn't my fault that the FAA could have written a much cleaner AD, but they didn't.[/QUOTE]

Disagreeing with a bunch of mechanics does not automatically mean the owners are wrong though.

Disagreeing with a bunch of mechanics does not automatically mean the owners are wrong though.
In this case it does. ADs have been dealt with in a specific regulatory manner for many years. Nothing has changed. Plenty of established references on it. Whether you and others choose not to believe thats fine. But the one point most miss is what part of the AD requires a record entry and subsequent sign-off. And its not what most think as shown in the various posts here and on other sites. And if it wasn't for that specific part, the AD compliance requirements per Part 39, Part 43, and Part 91 would take days if not weeks to comply with on a regular basis. And that doesn't even include Appliance ADs which a number of owners also lack the required records on. It is what it is.

Last edited:
As far as I know, all the mechanics who have responded in this thread are in agreement on the applicability. It's the owners who aren't.

Actually, it has only been some mechanics on POA. On COPA, DAN, (BT I think)... not one mechanic has taken this position that I am aware of.

Tim

Back