Official Cloud Puncher

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
Passed my instrument check ride yesterday. Talk about a huge relief and weight off your shoulders. I have trained off an on for a year or two. Between airplane issues and finding instructor time and safety pilot time it took way longer than expected. Perhaps the greatest challenge of the whole rating was just building the hours. I don't like asking for help and trying to find other pilots with the same availability as you is very stressful. I feel like I was over prepared for the questions and flying we did but you can never know too much when it comes time to apply it. My following thoughts may be a little jumbled but it will lay out my experience for others who may fear the check ride.

I was most over prepared for the oral portion. The examiner was very straight forward, no tricky questions, strange scenarios, pretty much asked questions as they were presented in the study material. My advice here is to carefully browse approach plates and enroute charts and look for little symbols that you don't know. If you don't know, find out because those are the ones they will ask about. The ones I initially didn't know that I am glad I learned were the displaced threshold symbol on the airport plan view, declared distances, arresting equipment, and know the details about surveillance radar. I would guess 75% of the questions were going through the plates and charts. The advice of keeping the answers short is a good one and the examiner would actually cut me off once they heard what they were looking for.

I was told to prepare an IFR flight plan to KCVG to include a nav log. I spent a lot of time creating this, studying my route, why I selected my altitude, and kept updating the weather and winds aloft calculations to determine if I needed an alternate. The examiner just glanced at it (im sure they had seen the same route thousands of time) and asked the questions I figured they would about altitude and weather minimums at the destination. At the end the examiner said I did excellent, now on to the flying portion.

I will start off by saying I had a few things working in my favor that I initially thought would be a handicap. I had scheduled the ride in the morning for the smoothest air possible. We kept getting delayed due to a low ceiling. By the time we launched the winds had picked up and there were lots of up drafts and down drafts. I don't know what the examiner's usual procedure is but we couldn't fly most of the full missed approaches due to clouds so we would fly to minimums then I was given radar vectors and altitudes which made things a little easier. My next benefit was that I am still using an old KLN90B gps. There is less information available so it is less distracting to me, but more distracting to an examiner who has not seen one in a long time. Doing the check ride in such a unique airplane really put me in control. After the ride the examiner made comments that they had difficulty keeping up their scan because of the unique layout of the panel and the airplane performance. They did say it was the fastest instrument check ride they had ever given. lol.

We did a VOR/DME approach with vectors to intercept, a partial panel RNAV approach, ILS with a circle to land, and unusual attitude. The airplane has an old Stec 50 autopilot that only does altitude hold and will fly the heading bug or from the CDI but does not have GPS steering. Didn't matter much anyway because most of the ride is from the FAF inbound where they will not let you use autopilot anyway. I had to hand fly the vectors to intercept the ILS which added some additional workload. I was given a pretty early turn due to not realizing how fast we were going. By the time the localizer came in the glide slope was already one dot above and I had to scramble to get configured for landing.

Be sure to follow your checklist, read them out loud, and keep your radio calls going. The only comments from the flight was that they were impressed how well I stayed ahead of the airplane and adjusted to the poor routing for the ILS. That's it..... all the studying, gas money, stress, paper work, is all over and I have a hole in my old license and a new temporary one. It took a while to sink in as I thought that day would never come. Stick with it, be confident, and be prepared. Now on to the next rating!

Congrats on passing what can be a tough checkride...and the bad setup for an ILS? that's real world in busy airspace. We FLIBs seem to be at the bottom of the totem pole when it's IMC and the conga line of airliners to the big airport has to be maintained.

In the wild, vectors to final are more common than anything else, when are you normally configuring for landing? I've always got to approach speed once established inbound, landing configuration 1 dot above or 3nm from the FAF.

In the wild, vectors to final are more common than anything else, when are you normally configuring for landing? I've always got to approach speed once established inbound, landing configuration 1 dot above or 3nm from the FAF.

I usually do the same, the difference is I am usually established on the localizer, have my wind correction factored in, autopilot on so I can review the plate. This time I was trying to get the localizer centered while hand flying, getting the gear and flaps out, talk on the radio, and get the checklist done all at the same time. May not sound like much but putting the gear and flaps out on the venture means HUGE trim and power changes that take a while to sort out.

Not a matter of "let you use", GPSS only levels the wings from the FAF inbound. The GPS issues no steering commands, so you might as well hand fly anyway.
Congrats on the ticket.

I usually do the same, the difference is I am usually established on the localizer, have my wind correction factored in, autopilot on so I can review the plate. This time I was trying to get the localizer centered while hand flying, getting the gear and flaps out, talk on the radio, and get the checklist done all at the same time. May not sound like much but putting the gear and flaps out on the venture means HUGE trim and power changes that take a while to sort out.

Does your autopilot work in heading mode, can you put it in heading mode and arm nav/approach mode with the LOC?

If it helps, my SOP

Pick the ATIS/AWOS up as far out as I can

Com1 is ATC

Com 2 is Unicom/weather, or if I'm waaaay out I'll dial up 21.5, when I'm getting vectored I'll swap nav 2 to ground if needed and unselect the monitor mode, that way when I touch down all I have to do is hit com 2 when they say go to ground, uncontrolled it just stays on CTAF and I'm monitoring it from way out anyways.

When I pick up the weather I'll get the plate out and brief it, briefly switch to heading mode program in the freqs, set my OBS(s), flip back to GPS and switch my AP back to GPS , as I get closer and I start getting vectored I'll go to heading mode, switch my nav source to the LOC, activate vectors to final on my GPS, once he starts heading me into the LOC and says I'm cleared for the approach I'll ARM nav/approach mode, and verify the AP capture of the LOC, established inbound, approach speed, I'll set my altitude preselects for the missed, quickly glance and my missed and my mins again, one dot below the GS drop the gear and lights and whatnot, pre landing check.

If I go missed, power up positive rate gear up, I initially go to heading mode, swap nav source to GPS, at min A/P altitude I'll engage the AP.

Using flows is super important for single pilot IFR, as is having a proper checklist that works with the flows, best checklist turtorial ever.

https://ti.arc.nasa.gov/m/profile/adegani/Cockpit Checklists.pdf

Oh heck, lol, almost forgot, congrats on your ticket!!

Congrats!! Good review of the checkride. Looong forward to this in the summer!

Congratulations! Considering your area, it shouldn't be too long a wait before you can get that ticket wet. :)

Congratulations, it's a fun rating to get for sure and sounds like you had a blast and aced the checkride. Again, congrats!

See ya in the clouds! (oh wait, I guess NOT! :D )

Congrats! That one was a doozy for me to get!

Congrats,now go fly some actual.
Oh I sure as heck hope that he got some already. (not like there wasn't enough nice benign cloud cover this past winter)
While the FAA does not require actual IMC for the ticket, some DPEs have been known for not wanting to even schedule a ride until the applicant has had a few hours in the soup.

Back