Official Airport Bum!?

Congratulations, on your new ticket and another great write up! How extensive do you think the single engine part will be, and are you going for the CFI II eventually?

I've learned a phrase... "It'll take as long as it takes..." but my CFI did call this morning and start to talk about that schedule. At least he thinks it's measured in days not months! :)

As far as the CFI-I, I did do the written so it would be a minor waste not to continue and do that after the SE stuff. But the price of one written is a bit lost in the noise level right now. Ha.

I should take a photo of the inside of the Yukon. I sequestered myself in the airport hotel the night before but being a typical "Boy Scout" mentality I thought "What if I realize I need to print out another reference doc?!" because you know, panic... haha... so there's about 100 lbs of stuff scattered all over the inside of the Yukon, even my little laser printer and extra paper. LOL. Not to mention the dirty clothes yanked out of the backpack as I transitioned from the hotel room to the flight school office around 8:45 AM and tossed unceremoniously into the back seat along with all of the references I decided I did NOT want in the "brain box" -- a plastic tub of reference material, the laptop, chargers for everything so I could plug in the iPad and iPhone all day so they would not be dead by time to go flying, and even a couple of Caffeine Free Diet Cokes to avoid caffeine. Haha.

Overkill, definitely. Funny, absolutely.

I drove it to Chilis afterward with the stuff scattered everywhere inside and had dinner with Karen, then home and parked it. Now I have to go organize it and unload all of that crap! LOL.

This is hardly unexpected news, but damn! That is a great accomplishment and one that will provide a lifetime of challenges. Well done, well done.

Scott

Congratulations, Nate!

Guide the student but they need to think and absorb and analyze what's happening and their own performance and some people need quiet for that at times.

This is me, as the student. When instructors talk all the time I feel like I am the voice-activated autopilot. I can do what the voice is telling me to do, but I need to think things through myself. I learned to ask certain instructors to stop talking at me, and to let me try things on my own. In the 680 it was mostly the buttonology of the FMS that was new to me. Sometimes I thought the sim instructors were too quick to prompt me. I would rather try to figure it out on my own, and ask for a clue only if I couldn't figure out what button to push next. I try to do the same thing when I am flying with a new FO. I think it's important to be patient as they puzzle through what they are doing.

Congratulations, Nate!

This is me, as the student. When instructors talk all the time I feel like I am the voice-activated autopilot. I can do what the voice is telling me to do, but I need to think things through myself. I learned to ask certain instructors to stop talking at me, and to let me try things on my own. In the 680 it was mostly the buttonology of the FMS that was new to me. Sometimes I thought the sim instructors were too quick to prompt me. I would rather try to figure it out on my own, and ask for a clue only if I couldn't figure out what button to push next. I try to do the same thing when I am flying with a new FO. I think it's important to be patient as they puzzle through what they are doing.

And I've met you and I can see how that would be your style exactly. Very cool actually. It'll take me a while but I'm sure I'll slowly "get this" concept. It'll become a lot clearer as I work with some real students one of these days... whenever that is.

Sorry we keep intermingling this stuff into the other person's welcome thread.

[edit: Nevermind it's the right thread. Ha.]

Congratulations, Nate!

Ditto ... there is some threshold that tips my brain from "figure it out" to "follow directions step by step" and the learning stops there ... personality changes from initiative to compliance ... there's probably some study somewhere that explains this, but until Mari noted it above, I never stopped to think about it.

And I've met you and I can see how that would be your style exactly. Very cool actually. It'll take me a while but I'm sure I'll slowly "get this" concept. It'll become a lot clearer as I work with some real students one of these days... whenever that is.
I think our instinct is to teach others in the same way that we like to be taught. This has drawbacks, though. In my case, some people didn't think I talked or intervened enough.

Another peeve I had as the student, or maybe I should say as a pilot who already had established ways of doing things, was having instructors who tried to impose their own technique. Suggestions are fine but I don't think instructors should try to change the way a pilot is doing things as long as they accomplish the task successfully.

Ditto ... there is some threshold that tips my brain from "figure it out" to "follow directions step by step" and the learning stops there ... personality changes from initiative to compliance ... there's probably some study somewhere that explains this, but until Mari noted it above, I never stopped to think about it.

Changes from learning and "initiative to compliance" was a HUGE concept with my examiner. He said one of the biggest mistakes he sees of new CFIs is the tendency to forget that they need to teach the left seater to be PIC for everything and only assist/coach when they need it.

He said he's had Private candidates come to him for checkrides where he can tell the CFI made too many PIC decisions for them... and didn't make them decide from day one... literally stuff like, during the checkride asking, "Should I put the gear down now?"

He said to instill that PIC mentality from day one. They are learning to be the pilot and PIC. You are there to keep them safe while they learn, and coach toward better PIC choices. If you TELL them to put the gear down, instead of making them think THEY need to put the gear down, they'll wait forever for you to say it -- primacy.

He said on most checkrides he can just say, "Don't ask me, you're pilot in command!" and it snaps them back to the decisions they need to make, but he's had a few he had to fail because they needed to go back to their CFI and the CFI needed to ween them off of listening to the CFI for cockpit choices and decisions.

I think our instinct is to teach others in the same way that we like to be taught. This has drawbacks, though. In my case, some people didn't think I talked or intervened enough.

Another peeve I had as the student, or maybe I should say as a pilot who already had established ways of doing things, was having instructors who tried to impose their own technique. Suggestions are fine but I don't think instructors should try to change the way a pilot is doing things as long as they accomplish the task successfully.

Heh those "do it my way" things do bug me also. Even my examiner does a little of that, but he does have a way of presenting it that convinces you his method is probably better than yours. I don't mind that as much as just the "bark bark do it my way" types.

Hopefully if I see a TECHNIQUE I don't like, I can be more like the examiner who often says, "Something for your consideration..." He said that so many times on checkride day that I almost worried that I had really learned how to demo all of these things completely wrong... but he added "that's the correct academic way to demonstrate that, but let me show you another way..."

Like my CFI said... if the examiner doesn't say the words "this checkride is over"... don't get caught thinking about the last maneuver or anything he said about it, keep thinking forward to the next thing! He says most of his CFI candidates who've failed in-flight admitted afterward that they let their brain get stuck on problems with the previous maneuver or demo and then botched the NEXT one.

I damned near did it fumbling for a flashlight as the sun started to set. Checklist was hard to read and I blew through the extended centerline of 35R single engine while trying to read a checklist I had already done the flow for and demoed to "the student". Luckily I looked up in time to announce that I'd done it and enough room to fix it (just inside the power lines but before Lincoln Ave) without going past the halfway point between the runways -- and no traffic on that side. If I had missed that by another two seconds or there was traffic, I know he would have had to issue a bust, literally on the last approach and landing. Fatigue had started to creep in... insidious. Would have been a heartbreaker.

Mari I bet you'll like this technique he recommends. He says every book has you go out and start single engine ops with a simulated engine failure -- and then straight into teaching the "Mixtures, Props, Throttles... Identify, Verify, Feather" mantra we all have to know in twins. He pointed out that there isn't a single book out there that just says...

Go up to altitude, simulate a failed engine with throttle, and just have the student fly straight and level (or drift down at blue line). Then after they're comfortable, give the engine back. Now pull back the other one. Same thing. Feel the control pressures. See how it flies on one engine. Do this back and forth a few times and randomize which engine is pulled, hiding the controls with a checklist or chart. Two basics.

Directional control and blue line. Directional control and blue line. And SHUT UP on the last ones and just let the student FEEL and FLY the airplane.

Okay NOW (probably reverse course so you don't end up in Kansas) introduce the mantra.

Deliberately and slowly and accurately. Step by step. Show them one. Then have them do one. No surprises on which engine is going to go inoperative.

Fly a little bit with one set at zero thrust. Turns both ways. See how well it flies on one engine? "Raise the dead" a little, keep that 3-5 degree bank into the operative engine. Recover.

NOW hide the controls... and simulate another one. They now already just start to do it automatically and probably with a mistake or two. Correct any mistakes and always be ready to guard the quadrant from the common "grab the wrong handle even after saying it out loud".

If all is going well that day... the LAST one is a complete engine shutdown. Work them up to it. Now they get to really push both throttles forward and really pull the prop into the feather detent. Look at that stopped prop! (Let them stare at it for a bit and soak it in. They're flying an airplane with a stopped prop for the first time ever! Whoa! Cool!) Recover and RTB. "Intro to single engine ops lesson number three (or so), complete!"

But he said too many CFIs jump straight to the whole enchilada on single engine ops and the student (who's already 90% saturated) never gets a chance to process each piece of it individually.

The NEXT flight you drill to speed it up with accuracy. And Vmc demo. And the "200 AGL Vmc takeoff demo..." to show them how fast it needs to be.

All that said, be prepared for them to try to kill you. Haha. He's had not one but TWO people who KNEW which engine was going to fail, stomp on the incorrect rudder pedal so hard and freeze that the only option was to ROLL the aircraft inverted to avoid a spin and just take it all the way around back to level flight. Holy hell... hahaha. Not exactly mentioned in any of the CFI books on multiengine flying... LOL. Yikes!

Probably overdue for an update.

Update: Nothing to report. Ha.

Haven't flown in a while. Various reasons. Weather hasn't been helping.

Been going to that job thing and working. Not nearly as fun as the summer was. Ha.

Sysadmin / Automation guy told CTO something he built, stunk. Bad idea. Also hadn't accomplished phase 1 of a plan from six months ago. Wanted to fight the war before the battle. Phase 1 would have saved the company $17,000/month and made him the golden child. Managed to get himself fired.

How do people miss this stuff? I dunno. I even called an old boss and told him the story and thanked him for teaching me never to go against the business and the budget in engineering unless there's a damned good reason to do so.

So yesterday was "Sr. Sysadmin has to go change all the access stuff on everything" day. Not fun at all. Never is. You always know a couple hours early and have to shut up and immediately start turning things off as "the meeting" begins.

Think the kid would have been fine if he had picked his battles more carefully. Can't tell if it was deliberate or not, but suffice it to say, when one ticks off the CTO, and tells him his baby is ugly, one usually triggers at least a career crisis moment at most companies. In this case he told him the baby was ugly AND told him on a Friday that a whole previously working system was now down and the CTO should go fix it.

Yep. Bye man. That's a guaranteed ticket out the door at most places. Not a damn thing any of us bellow the CTO could say that would save him after that.

Anyway. Might do some flying next week. Bought a new POH for the 182 since I thought it might be bad form to show up for a checkride with the original one from 1975 being held together barely by binder clips and in a baggie to keep loose pages from wandering away.

$37. I was impressed. I don't think Cessna has ever sold anything that cheap, ever. Ha.

It got worse. The kid was deploying stuff he was specifically told not to do, and not a single bit of it was checked into source control. So much for Mr. "if it isn't documented it's shadow IT"... seriously... beat head here.

Oh and the usual checkride write up disclaimer. Any omissions above, as always are my own. There's stuff we did that wasn't mentioned. This one is a bugger with a LOT of stuff to cover and there's no way I'm typing it ALL up! It's too long already.

But hopefully it gives the flavor of what you're up against on your CFI initial. Teach teach teach, come up with clearer and better ways to teach, and teach some more.
Back referencing my teaching computer science and what far too many new PhDs don't understand about teaching....everyonce starts at the same place, everyone starts as ignorant beginners. I don't care how many hours/days you've played video games, or can make Excel or Wordpress do wonderful things....these are the fundamentals you need to learn.

Takes a long time for a new teacher, regardless of the topic, to put themselves back in Beginner Mode so they understand what the student is going thru, and how to convey those small chunks of info, at what speed and how to determine they understand. And how to reinforce it over a long period of time.

Minor update. Still not doing any of the SE stuff. A few flights here and there for currency and today we took a neighbor I've known for years and his teenage daughter up for a flight.

Let her do the takeoff until the squirrely winds got a bit goofy coming off of he hangars and she flew us out to see the neighborhood from the air and back as well as a couple of steep turns out east. Both her and dad had a ball even though it was a bit bumpy today -- we pre-warned them the wind forecast hadn't slacked off like we'd planned and we'd stick around the pattern if anyone wasn't feeling comfortable. They did great.

Karen wanted to come along so we showed both the neighbor and his kiddo how to do a proper preflight (practice for teaching for me... very good) and a weight and balance (max gross on the 182 right in the middle of the envelope for both TO and center and slightly lighter for LNDG) and quick overview of chart and using the iPad. Heavy airplane today - climb performance was somewhat sucky.

By the time we were headed back to the airport I'd gotten her to split time looking at "cool stuff" down there and tracking toward the airport. She was getting it. I handled the landing because it was so squirrelly and sure enough I managed to bounce the Skylane pretty good when a gust caught me off guard. LOL. Even Karen remarked that my landing sucked hahaha.

Anyway. Since I don't have the SE stuff done yet and not enough time in the right seat of the Skylane yet to feel comfortable in squirrelly winds, I sat left seat but she did the majority of the flying. The only part I felt bad about was I couldn't sign her off for 1.3 hours...

A good time was had by all... she's hooked and dad doesn't seem to mind what that might mean for his wallet. (He's been looking for stuff that will motivate and hold her interest and she had a ball...)

0b792acfa34d534b2995e37f70d8485e.jpg

Annnnd of course I get home from that, scheduled to meet up with the CFI on Monday, and I come down with chills and sleep for ten hours. Today there's snot running out of my face. I told him I'd call him tomorrow and let him know how I feel after another night's sleep. Ugh.

That cold suuuuuucked. Canceled with the instructor obviously and have been down for maintenance for three days.

Didn't go to work the last few days. And slept like ten hours a night with lots of broken sleep and late night PoA from the phone when I would wake up. Ick. Sinuses still aren't 100% but I can at least breathe and managed to do it out of both nostrils all day today without drugs.

Woke up today feeling much better but have some stuff to do and some travel coming up so won't see my CFI until after the 18th or so. Probably the 20th best-case scenario.

Awesome thread.
Im a bit late.. but CONGRATS.
Did you also get your COMM multi first?

Does getting your Comm multi first really saves any $$$?. I have heard people go for and against this myth. With the "complex" requirement being the main point of course.

Awesome thread.
Im a bit late.. but CONGRATS.
Did you also get your COMM multi first?

Does getting your Comm multi first really saves any $$$?. I have heard people go for and against this myth. With the "complex" requirement being the main point of course.

I don't think it saves anything other than the school doesn't need to own a single-retract. They're becoming a real fiscal problem for many places.

Technically it'll save me some because I own the 182 I'll be doing the single engine stuff in. Kinda. Maybe not "save" exactly, but I get to use my aircraft and keep the aircraft flying more by doing a rating in it vs $100 hamburgers. At this time though, I have no intentions of talking to the co-owners about messing with Commerical insurance, or 100 hour inspections, to be able to teach in our aircraft.

Overall when you hit the flight time numbers the multi costs, it kinda gets lost in the noise, I think. I could go do an analysis of it but...

I also had starts and stops for scheduling in the multi and THAT will raise the price in anything. You backtrack and do stuff over.

But ... I also ended up with higher than average multi PIC time out of it, for whatever that's worth.

And I certainly felt more proficient in the multi at the end compared to a "fast multi add-on" type of scenario.

What I'll end up DOING with the multi-CFI ... I don't really have a plan for, yet.

Update: Since I got back home from our trip the CFI has been slammed with students.

We've been talking weekly and trying to figure out how to jam me into his schedule since they're taking priority. Many fly in commercially from out of town to do accelerated multi stuff with him, so he does those first.

We were going to fly this weekend and the weather didn't cooperate. Winds 20+ yesterday and 25+ today and he called it off.

Interestingly CFI buddies on FB gave me all sorts of crap for not flying in it. Ha. Wasn't really my call. Instructor said he'd go but it was also wickedly turbulent and it just didn't sound like he wanted to go be kicked around for no good reason.

Also other CFI friends disagreed and said if one has a choice, why do it?

LOL. Facebook comments. 'Nuff said about that. (Now the PoA comments start. Haha.)

Anyway, so everything this weekend got cancelled and no flying. I'll probably need to pick a night this week once the wind settles down and go do night currency in the 182.

And that's the other news from this week...

One of our 182 co-owners wasn't flying much. He took a travelling job about a year ago and we saw it coming but his flight time numbers were nearly nil. Paying the fixed costs on a 182 to not fly it just didn't make sense anymore for him.

So we had "the meeting" and terms of how to buy him out and what not were discussed... and the remaining two of us discussed whether we wanted to sell or not... and we decided not to. For now anyway.

So then we got into the details and checks were written and hands were shook and afterward a beer was consumed along with dinner and we're finishing up the process of transitioning to being a two-owner airplane.

One big detail that's changing is that we had a note on the airplane for essentially cash-flow reasons (it's a long story but the departing co-owner found his life was easier at home with his spouse if he wrote one consistent check per month to the airplane and it was both his fixed costs and gave him a "credit" toward flying)... so now with the two of us remaining who both loathe debt and also hate going through loan approval process... we're going to pay off the note and own the airplane outright. So much simpler overall. But get to have the investment guy mildly unhappy that I called to say I wanted money wired from the account next week. He'll survive. :)

So... by the 18th or somewhere thereabouts we'll have all the paperwork to sign all drawn up and the checks in hand to ship to the loan company, and the third co-owner will have a letter for us officially "resigning" from the airplane LLC. And I'll officially own half of a depreciating asset! Haha. Yay airplanes! Grin...

Gives us a lot of options for the future and we won't have to dork around with a mortgage company bill in the "background" on the books, etc. Plus whatever wimpy interest we were paying goes away too, which is always good. I hate working for someone else like that.

Meanwhile back at the ranch on the original thread purpose... the CFI is booked all week.

So I guess I'll go to the office and make some money to start putting it back into the investment account. Ha. Oh and Karen negotiated that if I'm keeping the airplane, we are saving up to take her somewhere to see giraffes. And the zoo doesn't count. ;-) I looked up the prices on that Giraffe Manor place and I think it'll run about as much as buying a small airplane. Haha. She's already got the savings goal in the budget for a trip in 2019. Haha.

I don't think it saves anything other than the school doesn't need to own a single-retract. They're becoming a real fiscal problem for many places.

I think the complex singles are only a fiscal problem for places that don't do many commercial or cfi ratings, where the airplane sits a lot. The same problem exists with the twins. It's probably even worse with the twins since so few people (if any) are qualified to rent them while the complex single can at least generate revenue without an instructor on board.

As far as which way is cheaper from a student standpoint, multi first or single first, consider the cost of doing the cfi ratings as well. There are many instructors that do not pursue an MEI rating unless they have to. If all you have to do is get your commercial single and CFI single to start building hours and making money you're far better off financially than the guys who have to fly the twin extra time in order to meet all the requirements to get their initial commercial in a multi, then build the required PIC time to get the initial CFI in the multi and go back to get the single engine equivalents.

I looked up the prices on that Giraffe Manor place and I think it'll run about as much as buying a small airplane. Haha. She's already got the savings goal in the budget for a trip in 2019. Haha.
Wait, you're going to Giraffe Manor? I consented to one night next fall since my traveling companions wanted to go, but opted out of the second night because the price was way out there. Nate, there are plenty of other places in Africa to see giraffes in the wild. GM is just kind of a novelty.

I think the complex singles are only a fiscal problem for places that don't do many commercial or cfi ratings, where the airplane sits a lot. The same problem exists with the twins. It's probably even worse with the twins since so few people (if any) are qualified to rent them while the complex single can at least generate revenue without an instructor on board.

The fiscal problem I was referring to was the recent price hikes by Cessna for parts, first warned about when the GE execs took over by Cessna Pilot's Assn before Mr. Frank passed away. A part that cost about $200 under the old Cessna system is now a $5000 part. Many of the long term wear components in the Cessna retracts are these parts now, and if third parties make replacements, great... but if not, many owners are in for a nasty surprise with a crack is found in certain components only found in the Cessna gear mechanisms.

I know of NO Cessna retract owners who have ANY interest in having an aircraft on leaseback now, nor students beating up the gear.

Once a club wrecks their single engine retract -- and they always do eventually -- the club often has to pony up and own the retracts directly.

I'm also seeing a LOT of beat to hell Cessna retracts overall in rental fleets because of it.

There's no "nice" retracts in rental fleets anymore. If you're a renter who's past the training stage and want nice, you walk down the block to the Cirrus rental place. I can remember when local places had a 210 on leaseback. It was spendy, but it was available, and it rented only to higher time folks who wanted to travel and often was out a week or two at a time. You just don't see that anymore. Not enough 210s anyway, but definitely few and far between in the rental market as they go lower in numbers slowly.

As far as which way is cheaper from a student standpoint, multi first or single first, consider the cost of doing the cfi ratings as well. There are many instructors that do not pursue an MEI rating unless they have to. If all you have to do is get your commercial single and CFI single to start building hours and making money you're far better off financially than the guys who have to fly the twin extra time in order to meet all the requirements to get their initial commercial in a multi, then build the required PIC time to get the initial CFI in the multi and go back to get the single engine equivalents.

All true.

Wait, you're going to Giraffe Manor? I consented to one night next fall since my traveling companions wanted to go, but opted out of the second night because the price was way out there. Nate, there are plenty of other places in Africa to see giraffes in the wild. GM is just kind of a novelty.

Well I haven't started pointing that out to Mrs. Giraffe-Head over here yet, but yeah, I know. LOL. She's OCD enough she'll wait until the money is in the account for the trip and then she'll plan it all out and realize she wants to spend half of the money on something else. ;)

(*evil laugh*) (*happily bouncing around*)

I don't have to take the FOI - I get a pass 'cuz I'm university faculty (part-time, but that don't matter!)

So what's the details of this? I taught at a Bible college for 15 years up until a couple of years ago. Would I still need to take it if I went for CFI? Or does this just have to do with being a ground instructor? I know nothing about off the CFI requirements, ground instructor, etc. If someone could enlighten me all I would need to be a CFI. Do you need to be a ground instructor too, etc, etc. I've started thinking about it and haven't done any research, and this thread piqued my interest.

So what's the details of this? I taught at a Bible college for 15 years up until a couple of years ago. Would I still need to take it if I went for CFI? Or does this just have to do with being a ground instructor? I know nothing about off the CFI requirements, ground instructor, etc. If someone could enlighten me all I would need to be a CFI. Do you need to be a ground instructor too, etc, etc. I've started thinking about it and haven't done any research, and this thread piqued my interest.

If you have a teaching accreditation from a recognized place you get to skip one written, but often in the practical you'll still have to prove you know something about teaching methodology anyway. I wouldn't skip studying it even if you get to save $100 on a written test.

But this question is also a "teachable moment"... a CFI has to dig through and know the FARs, so the proper answer is probably... grab your FAR/AIM and look up CFI requirements as the first goal! Heh. You'll have to know where to look up all the requirements for other ratings too, so might as well start down that long and interesting path where you find yourself rattling off FAR numbers in your early morning wake-up dreams. LOL. :)

Well I haven't started pointing that out to Mrs. Giraffe-Head over here yet, but yeah, I know. LOL. She's OCD enough she'll wait until the money is in the account for the trip and then she'll plan it all out and realize she wants to spend half of the money on something else. ;)
This is in Botswana.
IMG_1781.JPG

But this question is also a "teachable moment"... a CFI has to dig through and know the FARs, so the proper answer is probably... grab your FAR/AIM and look up CFI requirements as the first goal! Heh. You'll have to know where to look up all the requirements for other ratings too, so might as well start down that long and interesting path where you find yourself rattling off FAR numbers in your early morning wake-up dreams. LOL. :)

Awwww man... o_O

Whew. That was a LOOOOONG break from flying with my CFI. Went to work a lot, did a bunch of rather uninteresting IT things. Yadda yadda.

Got to fly with CFI today. Two flights, 2.5 hours. Had only flown a few hours in January and February. Besides work, other stuff kept me busy and the wind and weather kept messing with my CFI's schedule.

All SE Commercial add on prep today. Did all the maneuvers and a number of landings this time they were all in my airplane. The airplane I have over 300 hours in.

It's amazing what comfort level and that much time in a particular airframe do for you. Confidence was high, even maneuvers I haven't done much of.

Got done with the two flights and he said, "Flew well today. Time to schedule the checkride." He said he could tell I was very comfortable in the airplane. And he's right. 79M is nearly a home away from home for me, and y'all know I love the 182 platform.

We played a bit with the Robertson kit at altitude and adjusted the chandelles a but for it (higher pitch on entry or it's not going to be slow enough at the top compared to the other 182 my CFI flies, also a minor difference in maneuvering speed between the two, mine's 4 knots higher, interestingly).

Due to his schedule and mine, we're shooting for the week of April 4th. We'll have a day or two prior to the checkride to make sure it's all polished up and we'll do some ground work in the next couple of weeks to get the brain back in gear for the oral. If that checkride goes well, we'll have about three days to bang on the CFI add on, as long as I take that week off, and I can -- and then he's out of town for a weekend. It feels like it won't be long now. As long as we don't get derailed after those three days.

Meanwhile, other things have kept me busy in aviation related stuff, too. We knew from flight time and prior discussions that we might "lose" our third co-owner in the 182. (Technically I'm the third, he was tied for first or second.). We had "the meeting" a few weeks ago and settled on terms, and everything is very fair and all is good.

He would love to rejoin us in a few years if we still have the airplane then, and we discussed all the details -- payoff of equity, we decided he wants to stay a third owner on the hangar which is separate from the airplane LLC, and various other things.

Even worked out some terms for if he returns and if we've done some upgrades between now and then (GPS/ADS-B, interior, etc.)

So the second step was the remaining two of us deciding if we were continuing or not, since any major change is always a "gut check". We both said we want to continue to co-own the LLC for now. Decision one made.

Second question we both had, was that for various funny and spousal cash flow reasons the airplane always had a loan on it. Not upside down or anything, and low interest rate, but the remaining two of us didn't see any reason to retain the loan as a part of the LLC structure (we both loathe debt), so we decided to pay it off.

As of today, both of our checks have cleared into the LLC account and the airplane should be paid off mid-week, if all goes according to plan. Wheee.

It's a neat feeling. We had always kept the money around to pay our share of the loan off at any time in case of an emergency (co-owner ill, or whatever -- and again, we loathe debt so the money was there) so with it being just two of us now, the amount was a little higher but we could swing it. The interesting part is always that nifty feeling that you don't owe anybody any dang thing. I hate loans with a passion.

So... the airplane is truly "ours", well the LLC's anyway, and we'll have all new agreements and paperwork drawn up from our meeting(s) and phone calls by the end of the week. Yay!

And worse case, owning it outright means it's less complicated to sell it if we absolutely had to. It also uncomplicates bringing in a third co-owner of the LLC, etc.

Of course I'm celebrating outright owning a depreciating asset -- LOL -- welcome to aviation! Two drink minimum. Pay at the door. :)

So that's all fun news. We'd love to have our other co-owner back, but he's traveling heavily and he truly felt "unsafe" with the low number of hours he was flying the airplane. Like he said, "My heart says stay, my head says it doesn't make any sense."

As far as major maintenance goes, we've always run an engine fund and that's hourly -- and stays with the aircraft, so no big surprises or staring down any loaded gun barrels financially. Well, every airplane is a loaded gun barrel pointed at your wallet, but no more than usual! LOL. Got a while (crossing fingers) to go on the engine, we probably need to start seriously shooting a GPS and transponder upgrade, and one of these days we should rip out the lovely "goldenrod" interior.

You'd think with not being able to move the needle on this project for almost three months I'd be a lot more grumpy, but the airplane buyout and getting some bigger projects done at work, and the great flight on a lovely day today -- means it's just been a great day today. Today was good. Tomorrow, who knows. Just deal with today. Always easier that way.

Wife even had evening plans. Saw An American in Paris. Wow. What a cool production. Highly recommended. Amazing performances and impressive technical work in the sets and all of it. Very well done.

A friend who's a photographer was out shooting airplane photos today at the airport and also caught us doing landings. Sent me copies of the photos. Lovely work, Paul!

db403d9bc2c995bc1806a44bf2208259.jpg

By the way. Another funny comment today from my CFI that made me chuckle.

We got done flying and he said it was good and I said, "It wasn't perfect."

He joked, "The examiners aren't looking for perfect, but they'll certainly accept perfect."

LOL!

I really want to finish up my commercial and maybe get my CFI too. Keep it up. This thread is encouraging.

Nate, how many hours total do you have since you've been flying? Ever think about the regionals? I know you're not this old, but a guy over on the Beech forum just got hired by a regional in his 50s, and another knows someone who just got hired at 60. That on your bucket list? I just turned 61. If I could get that CFI and build those hours quickly (I know a school where I could get at least 100 hours a month instructing) that would give me about 3 years before mandatory retirement at a regional. The guy said there's such a shortage that even if one can give them just a couple of years they'll take them.

Finally an update!

As my wife would say, "Right?!" LOL.

I also felt it would have made for a poor story to post constantly saying, "Supposed to fly tomorrow. Canceled. Supposed to fly tomorrow. Cancelled."

Ad nauseaum. LOL.

Nate, how many hours total do you have since you've been flying? Ever think about the regionals? I know you're not this old, but a guy over on the Beech forum just got hired by a regional in his 50s, and another knows someone who just got hired at 60. That on your bucket list? I just turned 61. If I could get that CFI and build those hours quickly (I know a school where I could get at least 100 hours a month instructing) that would give me about 3 years before mandatory retirement at a regional. The guy said there's such a shortage that even if one can give them just a couple of years they'll take them.

Little over 600. Still a whippersnapper in terms of aviation hours.

Very well aware of the huge sucking sound the regional hiring made over the last few years in the GA job market. Also aware of friends who've decided they have shiny jet / turboprop syndrome and signed up. Very cool.

Right now, it doesn't work for me, fiscally, time-wise, etc. I'll never rule anything out, especially after realizing that I'm getting a CFI in my 40s, didn't expect that to happen. But for now, I'll just take this one day at a time.

I bet some of the CFIs here would say 100 hours a month instructing is a hard-core butt-kicker of a month... but I couldn't really tell ya. @jordane93, what was your busiest month when you were a full-timer?

I bet some of the CFIs here would say 100 hours a month instructing is a hard-core butt-kicker of a month... but I couldn't really tell ya. @jordane93, what was your busiest month when you were a full-timer?

This would be at Falcon Aviation Academy in Newnan GA. They train a lot of Chinese pilots and are very busy. I've heard from a few sources they fly from 80-100 hours a month. I had one tell me, "I was an assistant chief at the CCO location and still flew 80-100hrs a month. I definitely recommend flying mostly Chinese students as they are kept on a tight schedule and fly just about every day." So it is possible. I know being older though it would probably take a lot more stamina than it would have when I was younger. Just have to make sure I'm up to the task. It would basically be relentless for a year or two.

I go to KFFC pretty often and Falcon Academy is very active every day with good equipment and sometimes quite hilarious radio work from the Asian students.
I would imagine sitting in a bubble canopy plane in the GA summer would get very old very quickly.

I go to KFFC pretty often and Falcon Academy is very active every day with good equipment and sometimes quite hilarious radio work from the Asian students.
I would imagine sitting in a bubble canopy plane in the GA summer would get very old very quickly.

Yep, they have a branch at FFC also. It appears they do most of the training out of CCO though. That's a pretty busy place.

Yeah, I guess it can get old. I definitely know where you're coming from. But I guess you have to do what you have to do if you really want it.

Back