Official Airport Bum!?

Teaching in singles doesn't bother me, even with a marginal student. Having someone you don't trust in a tailwheel and/or in a twin can get ugly in a hurry, if you're not vigilant. Thankfully the student is doing most of the work so your attention can be focused on keeping yourself out of trouble. :)

By the way, what's your end goal here? Do you want to teach in a twin? If not, that will be a kind of expensive way to get an initial CFI rating if you don't plan on using it much or at all. You'll have to get 15 hours PIC in the twin before you can go take that checkride.

To be honest I don't have a goal in mind other than "get all the instructor ratings while I can do it financially and time-wise".

It's turned out to be an interesting experience, and that's worth something right there.

I found myself in a unique set of circumstances where I could do it and not go bankrupt, thanks partly to my cute wife and partly to a pretty lucky run of a completely unplanned "career" in telecom and IT. Ha.

(In case anyone didn't know, she's the nice person in our house. Ha. Numerous people here can vouch for this!)

Whether someone will ever want me to teach in their twin somewhere -- who knows? Hell, whether someone will want me to teach them anything is still anyone's guess.

The teaching thing is just my way of giving back. Many good teachers have taught me and none of us are getting any younger. I figure someone has to be the old white haired guy around the airport someday when they're not flying anymore. (Jesse excluded of course, he'll outlive me. LOL... Damn kids! Get off my lawn!)

Too many good people in aviation not to give back. Plus as I watch various aviation forums and places there's always new folks who are just starting to figure it out. They're fun to help.

If I suck at it, oh well... It counts as a really expensive flight review and I learned something. Haha.

I'll hang a shingle and offer to teach whatever I can, and still keep working on learning stuff. That never ends. This stuff is too much fun.

Even when avionics break. :)

To be honest I don't have a goal in mind other than "get all the instructor ratings while I can do it financially and time-wise".

It's turned out to be an interesting experience, and that's worth something right there.

I found myself in a unique set of circumstances where I could do it and not go bankrupt, thanks partly to my cute wife and partly to a pretty lucky run of a completely unplanned "career" in telecom and IT. Ha.

(In case anyone didn't know, she's the nice person in our house. Ha. Numerous people here can vouch for this!)

Whether someone will ever want me to teach in their twin somewhere -- who knows? Hell, whether someone will want me to teach them anything is still anyone's guess.

The teaching thing is just my way of giving back. Many good teachers have taught me and none of us are getting any younger. I figure someone has to be the old white haired guy around the airport someday when they're not flying anymore. (Jesse excluded of course, he'll outlive me. LOL... Damn kids! Get off my lawn!)

Too many good people in aviation not to give back. Plus as I watch various aviation forums and places there's always new folks who are just starting to figure it out. They're fun to help.

If I suck at it, oh well... It counts as a really expensive flight review and I learned something. Haha.

I'll hang a shingle and offer to teach whatever I can, and still keep working on learning stuff. That never ends. This stuff is too much fun.

Even when avionics break. :)

I kind of found myself in the same position - enough money, time, and people encouraging me to get a flight instructor rating so I did it. I don't need to teach, I just do it for fun and to help others out. I've gotten a lot of free or reduced cost instruction and flight time over the years so it is my turn to give some to someone else.

Will I change careers or have a second career as a pilot or mechanic? Maybe. I haven't decided yet but I'm having fun and getting to fly some unique stuff and in interesting places.

Enjoy the flight instructor training. It's a challenge and exhausting preparing for the initial checkride (I was working about 60 hours a week in addition to studying) but once you get through it and have instructed a bit I think you'll find that you could sit down and take the checkride again without even preparing for it.

Enjoy the flight instructor training. It's a challenge and exhausting preparing for the initial checkride (I was working about 60 hours a week in addition to studying) but once you get through it and have instructed a bit I think you'll find that you could sit down and take the checkride again without even preparing for it.

Heh that's how most stuff in life worth learning goes.

That whole ...

Unconscious incompetence
Conscious incompetence
Conscious competence
Unconscious incompetence

Learning thing...

;)

I'm at step two. The "You've got to be kidding me... I can tell I don't know what the hell I'm doing!" Phase.

At least on the whole instructing thing. Flying wanders between 3 and 4 depending on how good a day it is.

Hahaha.

Loaner Sandel arrives tomorrow. And in theory goes into the airplane and works. Until the other one is fixed.

Who knows at this point...

Sandel was kind enough to tell the airplane owner loaners were free after the airplane had been down for ten days. LOL.

Someone had told airplane owner they weren't, early on.

This thread turned into a bummer to update.

I'm pretty glad I didn't go through the effort to podcast this crap at this point. LOL.

Dang! How did I miss this thread?

When I grow up, I wanna be like Nate!/QUOTE]

I think I might win the "how did I miss this thread" award. Geez!

If Nate hadn't dropped a hint last night while we were chatting, I'd still be clueless! Cool adventure, Nate!

Thanks @TangoWhiskey - update...

No word on if the HSI came in and got installed today and that makes me think... No.

Stand by to stand by...

I applaud every MEI. I don't know if I have it in me to eventually get it.

It has it's moments, and probably the riskiest instruction is in light twins. All my MEI was in 310s, including a sick Q model we used for training. Probably why it was sick. :D

Last edited:
At least you'll be used to doing that when you get a job. :biggrin:

LOL! No kidding. Broken equipment, bad weather, grumpy everyone... Just smile and bear it!

Seriously though, any job related to aviation is so far down the road (even teaching) I'm not even thinking about it right now. Just trying to get through ratings and get back to the full-time usual job. Well unless they fire me for being out so much.

LOL. So far they seem to be okay with it?

I did go to the office today. It was an exciting day in IT.

I flipped a bunch of settings trying to get Adobe products to behave when saving to a network file share (not supported, per Adobe, but works on seven machines but one... Oh, we just love those... "Adobe says this is completely unsupported." "Yeah but we ALL can do it but her!") and tried to clean out two weeks worth of emails and didn't completely succeed.

Oh and patched all my desktop/laptop machines since they all decided for one reason or another not to auto-update while I was out.

Just trying to figure out if I'm going to the office tomorrow now... Haha...

Okay, back to finishing off this stupid FOI study. Need that test done this week so I can move on to the others.

Good lord the material is awful.

I particularly love the FAA saying essay type questions are essentially crap (in their view) while every college professor at every aviation school that qualifies the kiddies to take many hours off of their ATP these days... posts on FB bitching about grading essays their aviation students wrote.

Hahaha. Ahhh, irony. It's so fun. Think they'd find me funny if the next time they *****, I quote the Flight Instructor's Manual page that says they're doing their jobs wrong? (Evil grin...)

I'm going to guess that they wouldn't like that. :)

I suggest you make the essay topic.

Woooo! 2.0 and my instrument scan had gone to hell but it came from together eventually. I was weirdly omitting the AI which I've done before. I think I'm mildly paranoid in bumps about altitude and heading and fixate on those instruments instead of watching the overall trend a little more.

Three ILS 35 at FTG with the wind howling at 300 22g28. Whhhheeeeeeee. Two with both engines, one single engine and landed out of it. That was a workout!

We would have stayed at APA but they were hammered with traffic all day. Initial call up to shoot approaches at "home" indicated a 10 minute downwind for traffic. And it didn't let up.

Two hours later we were told we'd be number six if we wanted the 35R pracfice ILS so we accepted GPS 28 practice with circle to land -- and then we really did circle.

Controller figured out how to blow us behind a Citation landing 35R to cross over and land 35L or we'd still be out there somewhere past Colorado Springs on final. (grin! Busy!)

Felt good by the end of the flight. Really frustrated at the beginning. Bumpy IFR with big up and downdrafts is annoying after not flying for a few weeks.

Funny thing was the crosswind and the gusts at APA got my brain in the game for the landings and those looked better on each one.

Also didn't bring my iPad mount and that was a mistake. Dropped the dang thing on the way to FTG and it ended up vertical leaning against the left floor side wall behind me. That was entertaining to retrieve.

Good workout! If I could arrange a little less wind on checkride day that'd be grrrrrrreat.

Last edited:
Three Harriers (Blacksheep) were departing as I did my run up today. This is one of them. They each took a different runway intersection and departed together, three almost simultaneously.

1474d751fb233b81353a74ba9a587f70.jpg

All those extra handles. Anyone know what they're for?

960669b8369d208f8b3b768b5a02526a.jpg

Guess I'd better know by next week.

Went out and did the whole shebang other than Vmc today. Worked on my crappy spot landings.

I get it now. I was being way too timid about letting the airplane fly slow. (You'd think a guy who normally flies a STOL airplane... Too much staring at that blue line... It'll fly just fine slower... Well anyway...)

Short field stuff is all straightened out other than I'm landing a tad long, but I've got the sight picture and whatnot now. Short field takeoffs I wasn't being aggressive enough about holding the pitch up after rotation.

Once the instructor said "Let me show you where the nose should be" and pulled the light bulb went on. Hell, that looks just like the 182... Damn panel is blocking everything.

Oh yeah, this thing almost flies that slow too! Duh. Ding! Lightbulb. Haha.

Of course then on the next one I got the stall horn to blip in a gust. That's better! Sheesh.

Got the visual approaches all stabilized, just have a tendency to start them a little low. Have to wait on the PAPI doing that. Easy fix. Don't pull off so much power to start the descent. This thing glides like a brick.

One more flight before checkride next Tuesday, sayeth Ye Olde CFI. He says it'll all click next flight. They all say that. And they seem to know. Ha.

So annoying because once you've done it a few times you know they're right but you still don't quite believe it 100%. Heh. Or I don't anyway.

But but but those landings still sucked... And I was 100' off during that steep turn and know better... And... And... And... Haha.

That's my poor brain right now. Totally normal for me. Wish it didn't work that way and I was some sort of cool cat who felt confident every time, but I don't. Never have. Ha. Then I just resign myself to go fly the stupid plane on checkride day and it works.

He says then we jump back into the wrong seats and I have to teach him how to fly the silly thing. And he gets to play confused student. ;)

Oral prep and IACRA done today. Moved last flight to tomorrow morning.

Need a couple more hours in the beast. Checkride Tuesday.

Waiting to hear from DPE on whatever prep stuff he wants.

Voice mail tag. You're it!

Nate, can u sum up where you're at in 14 words or less so I don't have to go back and read the last 4 pages to catch up? <14 please!

Nate, can u sum up where you're at in 14 words or less so I don't have to go back and read the last 4 pages to catch up? <14 please!

from CO POA meet up thread - Nate said "IACRA and Oral Prep today... moved our last Seminole flight to tomorrow morning" (edited to stay under requested 14 words) :)

3.8 in the Seminole. Made a few mistakes which has me nervous but not too nervous to reschedule. Tired and stupid. Going home to chair fly flows and do my flight planning and get my head right. Bad sleep last night didn't help.

Oh ...

IPC completed also. At least I could fly the stupid Instruments! Ha.

Mild surprise: Hadn't flown a published GPS hold before. Talk about cheating. I thought, "I need to turn to heading X and start a timer..." Haha. Old school brain.

Luckily I said it out loud and the instructor laughed and said, "You really should buy a GPS. Look..."

Points at the GPS telling me the turn heading and depicting the entire hold... and chuckles at me.

"Well I'll be damned. That's way too easy." LOL!

Instructor joked, "An IPC in a twin counts for double, right?" Hahaha. I liked that joke.

He appears to have a good day, weatherwise, maybe a little warm for flying single-engine...

Last edited:
e88c06ffe92cf6a7c2bbf5c8a4c7612d.jpg

I've rejoined the League of Temporary Airmen!

I didn't say anything for a few days because I was terrified. I mean bad. We flew 2.8 on Saturday, three flights, and I don't know what the hell was wrong with me, but everything went wrong. Every maneuver it seemed, something was bad. I was in a fog. Poor sleep Friday night, don't know why else though.

Blew simple stuff that day. Power off stall entry was even bad. Missed my mark badly on the short field and was way below the glide path. Overcontrolling everything.

I just went home and freaked out. Seriously. I decided I had to shake it off, but almost couldn't. I didn't even want to post anything here. Just buckled down for the oral and decided to use that as a distraction. (Did post in a few other threads but not much.)

Yesterday while another student flew his checkride (he busted - but he just flubbed the approach, and missed an intercept I heard - he's retesting tomorrow) we did oral prep and Larry said it went well. Okay I feel a little better. But still those awful flights stuck in my head.

Today the ride was scheduled for 2PM. Larry said, "Want a warm up flight in the morning?" I said YES! Gotta do something right before the ride.

He took me out and started with the easy stuff. Confidence coming back. Still got behind the eight ball when DEN Approach mixed the phrase "straight in" with "cleared for the RNAV 28 at Centennial from [whatever the hell the intersection is that we asked for on the tradition route] and I hit "Vectors" on the 430.

Oh damn... Slammed through fixing that so we could go where we were supposed to and then was too fast to dump the altitude (we were doing it non-VNAV, as a dive and drive) so we're high and coming down 2000 fpm. Salvaged it but knew that would SUCK on the checkride. Landed. Taxiied in. Had about an hour and a half to go stuff a burger in my face and try to relax.

Okay warm up complete. Now for the ride.

Examiner comes in, we do paperwork. Oral is like all of my orals have been. Excellent scenarios, and excellent conversation. Only thing I had to look up was I remembered all the limitations of a Commerical pilot but forgot that sightseeing flights now require an LOA. Found that quickly and read it. DPE seemed pleased.

I can kinda tell we are done with the oral because he said we would throughly brief the flight. And he's says we are on to that now. I grab a notepad and we discuss everything. Examiner is very concerned about safety and we discuss exactly how I've been trained to handle the engine outage and restart. We talk about these particular engines not liking to restart and that it's helpful to establish a 120 knot glide on this airplane. (He doesn't give a lot of rides in this specific aircraft. The local DPEs are slammed and he came in from out of town for this. Commutes in a Commanche, @EdFred !)

Go over all the ground rules for aircraft control and the flight. You're flying. I'm not a pilot. Discuss that if the restart is going poorly you run out of hands to fly and fiddle with the aircraft. He agrees that the other local DPEs are correct in assisting with aircraft control for safety if needed at this point, even though they aren't supposed to fly and if I'm stuck to ask him to play wing leveler and speed maintainer. Safety first. Otherwise we have to declare and land it. These engines don't like to restart at our altitude on high DA days and the DA was VERY high this afternoon. Accelerate/Stop was pushing the underside of 4000' so hard we might as well have called it that.

We talk about where we will generally be and that he wants the practice area frequency in during the maneuvers even though we are just outside of it. (East of Kelly Airpark) We talk about watching for gliders and heavy traffic in that area. Because the wind is forecast to come up, he says we will do the pattern work first. Normal takeoff and landing, short field takeoff and landing, then we'll depart the Delta and navigate via my flight plan (which was huge... APA to PUB to ABQ to TEX!) Oh yeah, we discussed that we didn't have enough fuel on board for that. (Grin!) Talked about whether we could add fuel in ABQ. Yes. Can we add a passenger or two? Maybe. Run calculations. "We can add one small passenger but it really hurts our performance for flying into TEX." Correct. Good.

"Let's take a ten minute break." I'm happy but still freaking mildly. Okay have to get it together for the flying. Breathe. You're not going to do that stupidity of the dive and drive on the ride. It's all good.

We go to the airplane. I do a thorough pre-flight explaining as I go. Usual questions. All good. We talk about since you're "not a pilot" here's how you board the aircraft and I'll help you with the door (unless you don't want to simulate that and we can have "taxi air conditioning", up to you, it's freaking hot out here...)

Climb in and take another deep breath. Everything with the checklist. Taxi out to the north run up area. Run up completed. Talk to ground, talk to tower, fuel pumps and door and my window to go on the checklist.

Do all the pattern work. All goes pretty good. Overshot the base to final turn on the first one by just a bit and thought "oh crap, there it is" but continued. Fixed it. He hasn't said stop so we keep going. Full stop taxi backs at this DA. It's hotter now. Short field stuff goes fine. Okay now to head out of here. Fly out to HOHUM per the plan. Then toward Kelly. We find ourselves under a massive string of virga and I'm getting downdrafts that have me at max power and 80 knots trying to hold altitude and then of course the other side. Thankfully they're going to be west of us for most of this.

Air work goes well. Somehow managed to avoid the virga and made the nicest steep turns ever. Stalls, slow flight (he wanted five knots faster than I trained that, fine by me!), Vmc demo (we barely got to the tiniest first buffet and he says to recover it, that's good - very concerned about aircraft performance today and safety, I was willing to go a little slower). Whew! So far so good. Engine out time, let's get higher. 11,500 to start. Engine fails, mixture full rich, props, throttles full (we're way above where we'll overboost DA wise), identify, verify, left engine is dead, feathering left prop, confirmed, feather it. Right engine is hammering away trying hard. Only making about 32"-33" wow it's hot out. Prop stops. Still on heading, and slowing. Okay restart it.

Okay setup a 120 knot descent to assist getting it to windmill. We are now trading altitude for our restart. Pretty common up here. Eye opening. Mixture full, pump on, crack the throttle and crank. And crank. And crank. 1000'. And crank. It wants to fire and then die. There's a sweet spot where it'll start at this DA and it's somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" open. Jiggle it. Starts to catch. Slows again. Ahhhhhhh crap! One more. DPE says let me jiggle. Ok. I'll hold the starter. 1500' lost. Engine catches and runs. Pull the prop back a bit so it doesn't over speed and level. 2000'. Okay warm it back up. 15" and we can pull the right one back a bit and hold altitude a little slower than blue line here while it warms up. Phew. Man we need a lot of power to climb today.

Just about had to declare it and land. And it's happened before up here. Just land safely and restart it on the ground.

Engine warms. He says okay let's head for Front Range. Plan ILS 35. I know the engine out approach is coming. At this point my heart rate is insane and I fall back into a bad habit. I get "pitchy" and I'm overcontrolling. Crap. Settle down man. Get ahead of the airplane. Set up the Garmin. Get ATIS. Call DEN approach. 9500. We'll have to come down to start this.

Remember to punch all the buttons for source (right now because it's a borrowed HSI you have to source both the Garmin and the HSI but the Garmin still feeds GPS data to a second indicator on the HSI so you can switch a little early, you still have GPS primary to the approach on that indicator and can set the CDI up for the ILS. A very very nice feature other than the manual source flip needed on the Sandel).

Coming down. Engine fails somewhere before the final approach fix. Simulate caging it and ask for zero thrust. All good. Right leg is jiggling. Ha. ILS glideslope coming in. Anyway that all goes great and FTG makes us break it off a mile out. We head back to Centennial. He says to expect another engine out landing there. No approach this time but we magically lose an engine again in the pattern. Land. Exit the runway. He says, "Congratulations."

Holy crap! I thought I wouldn't make it! Stop, clean up the airplane, taxi in. Heart rate soaring. Larry meets us at the airplane. DPE says, "Looks like we have a new Commercial pilot!"

Logbook, hole in certificate, new Temporary Certificate. Wooooooo!

That was a couple hours ago and I'm still high as a kite. Fun!!!

If you'd have asked me Saturday night I would have said no way. I'm going to bust this thing. It sucked soooooo bad that day. Today, it all came together.

I still need to fly smoother. When I get excited I start horsing the airplane around. I joked with a friend, "I think I oscillated an average altitude there for a little bit..." Up down up down up down STOP IT. Freeze! Okay that's better. Settle in man. Fly the plane!

Oh and I had to explain the silly complex/high performance mess in my logbook again. I had one enforcement prior to the 1997 change and this DPE hadn't seen that in so long we looked it all up just to make sure. Worse, the CFI who did it signed two endorsements, one for each, and shoved "BFR" into one of them, long before I was bright enough to look up endorsements and say, "Hey fix that!", so they're worded poorly.

So I'm a Commerical Pilot multiengine with Private single engine privs and Instrument rating! On to the CFI...! (My airplane is going in for annual soon, so we're going to CFI initial in the multi and then backtrack into my 182 later for Commerical and CFI there.) Oh and we did an IPC too. The only part that went right on that Saturday in fact.

The instrument stuff has been rock solid even trying to come up to speed on GPS approaches and I have @jesse to thank for that. The only thing my 40,000 hour CFI didn't like was how we briefed approaches so he taught me his methods, which is fine and good.

Oh for those wondering he likes ASTCIM.

Approach
Source Set
Tune anything that needs tuned (Comm, check ILS freq, whatever)
Course set (HSI)
Identify
Minimums

Back