Office 365

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Just got new computer with Windows 11. There is something called Office 365. What I’m reading says something about it being online and you subscribe to it. Is that true? You can’t buy and install it and that’s it. You have to pay monthly or whenever to use Word, Excel etc?

don't HAVE to pay, you can get basic storage for free.

I’m not going to use tha cloud storage thing. All I will use is Excel and Word. Are you saying they will function if I don’t pay?

I think onedrive is part of O365 so if you don't have an office client installed locally (so you can modify files AND store them locally) you'd have to use the O365 apps as well as store your docs on onedrive. onedrive is kinda nice so you can access files wherever u go but having it local is good too.

I think onedrive is part of O365 so if you don't have an office client installed locally (so you can modify files AND store them locally) you'd have to use the O365 apps as well as store your docs on onedrive. onedrive is kinda nice so you can access files wherever u go but having it local is good too.
I don’t use onedrive or any kind of cloud thing. It sounds like, from what I’m seeing here, is I can just make the one time purchase of what would amount to what used to be called Office. Had Word, Excel and I think Power Point and something else. All I use is Excel and Word.

I don’t use onedrive or any kind of cloud thing. It sounds like, from what I’m seeing here, is I can just make the one time purchase of what would amount to what used to be called Office. Had Word, Excel and I think Power Point and something else. All I use is Excel and Word.

O365 is cloud based. so either go cloud or go local.

You can purchase a local/long term version of Office. $150 for a perpetual license https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products (on the right)

OR, a lot of consumers buy "Family" edition that does require you to pay $100/year, but covers 6 people that all get to install/use it. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...6_k_&msclkid=c0597b8f9491191d7a261e4adfdd5aa6
Ah. So there is still just good ol’ Office. Thanks. The thing I was reading made it sound like 365 had replaced it. Thanks

Are Excel Files compatible with Open Office? Will they look and act the same?

For basic stuff, yup

Fwiw - there have been times when the admin at church has trouble with a word doc or excel doc. I’ll go to the office, and fix it with openoffice

Yeah, it's ok, One drive somehow exported all my files from my local drive to the cloud and removed them from the local drive. Not sure how that happened, probably was me, but it ticked me off.

Just got new computer with Windows 11. There is something called Office 365. What I’m reading says something about it being online and you subscribe to it. Is that true? You can’t buy and install it and that’s it. You have to pay monthly or whenever to use Word, Excel etc?
Hi everyone.
Everything that M$ or Gobble gives you for "FREE" is an excuse for them to "legally"? intrude/ spy /steal your personal information, if it's executable or free stored....
Most of the time there are actually Real Free apps / programs that do s good, if not better job that their FREE trash.
Be aware, very aware.

If you're a light user of just Excel and Word type stuff, I'd just go to OpenOffice or LibreOffice. There was a learning curve, but I keep a ton of spreadsheets in LibreOffice Calc now and I'm to the point it's not even an inconvenience to me anymore. You can buy "Office Home and Student" for about $150 if you just want to pay. Otherwise, yeah they want those subscription $$$.

I refuse to buy any software that forces me into a subscription model. Adobe is also a major offender, and so is Autodesk.

I still have a version of Autocad from the 2010s, it has all the features I need and I use it infrequently enough that a subscription model would make no sense for me.

If you want to hear more opinions on the "we don't want you to own anything, you just pay us monthly for the right to use our garbage" topic, look up Louis Rossmann on Youtube.

MS, Adobe, Intuit and others realized that one time purchase was economically foolish for them, excellent for the consumer. Hence the subscription model to ensure cash flow. I’m still using very old Intuit edition on a 2007 Mac that I keep for just that purpose because I’m too lazy (inertia) to migrate N years of financial data to a different app. I have a 2015 Mac I keep because Adobe 9 won’t run on the M1/M2 systems.

LibreOffice is the better choice these days, better compatibility with MS Office and more development.

It’s not just cashflow. A subscription model makes it easier for them wrt support

I told my in-laws (in their 80s) to sign up for 365. Their old computer crashed, and of course N O T H I N G was backed up anywhere. And yes, I did explain to them the importance of backing up their stuff and showed them how to do it. I'm pretty sure that was the last and only time it was done, and naturally the USB drive was nowhere to be found. I spent hours coaxing what I could out of their dying hard drive, lest the last couple decades of bridge club and church dinner menus be lost to history. When the current PC eventually croaks, the next one will "magically" have all of their files and browser bookmarks restored.

They were quite amazed at the hockey-puck sized, much faster replacement for their old mini tower PC. Yeah, SSD and having more than 4G of memory for Windows 10 will do that...

How do they make money? Is there advertising?
OpenOffice and LibreOffice are descendants of StarOffice, which was bought by Sun Microsystems back in the stone ages. At the time, buying the company was cheaper than buying the sheet number of Microsoft Office licenses that Sun had needed. I guess they didn't factor in the price of ongoing support and bug fixes, so they turned it to open source for that.

MS, Adobe, Intuit and others realized that one time purchase was economically foolish for them, excellent for the consumer. Hence the subscription model to ensure cash flow. I’m still using very old Intuit edition on a 2007 Mac that I keep for just that purpose because I’m too lazy (inertia) to migrate N years of financial data to a different app. I have a 2015 Mac I keep because Adobe 9 won’t run on the M1/M2 systems.

LibreOffice is the better choice these days, better compatibility with MS Office and more development.
I do pretty much the same thing, except I run all the legacy programs on a Ubuntu machine under a VirtualBox VM's.

+1 for Libreoffice....open source so anyone can see inside the code. We do all our home and business stuff with Libreoffice on Linux Mint machines. Microsoft....who? :)

+1 for Libreoffice....open source so anyone can see inside the code. We do all our home and business stuff with Libreoffice on Linux Mint machines. Microsoft....who? :)
But, how is Microsoft going to train its AI if you don't give them all of your files? Think of the children!!!!!!!!!

Onedrive is free and independent from Office if you have a hotmail or outlook account. It does integrate nicely with Office though. I use it to seamlessly edit documents between my Office 2013 home laptop and my Office 365 (paid version) work computer.

I can even share a folder so that say, an editor can edit my Word manuscript, using the online Word even if he doesn't have Word installed in his computer (he doesn't.) Works great.

How does Libre/Open Office work when you have a few thousand lines of Visual Basic code running in your MS database?

What language does it use for functions and subroutines?

I think Open Office and Libre Office are fine as long as you don't get too much into formatting and styles. It may be file compatible with MS Word but complex formatting does not transfer correctly between the two. That can be an issue if you have to share files with MS Office users.

Back