Obtaining distant ATIS while on the ground

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Is it possible to "dial in" by phone to obtain the ATIS broadcast, including the information letter?

I know many of the AWOS/ASOS phone numbers are published and permits us to call and and listen to the broadcast on our phone.

Does the equivalent exist for the ATIS broadcasts? Where would I find the phone number?

Sure.

Look in the A/FD.

I do this all the time for short flights in busy airspace. That way, you can get the destination ATIS code and info on the ground, before engine start. And I don't have to worry about taking my attention off Approach while crossing conga lines.

I keep most of the local ATIS numbers on speed dial on my cell phone.

Note that some airports have both ATIS and AWOS/ASOS. Only the former gives you the code, but the latter is more up to date.

Here is the A/FD for San Jose International:
https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1511/afdpdf/SW_196_15OCT2015.pdf

Note it has both ASOS and D-ATIS phone numbers. Give it a call! D-ATIS is a computer generated voice that sounds like Stephen Hawking.

Last edited:
Yes. I have a lot of ATIS/ASOS/AWOS numbers in my phone. The A/FD has the phone numbers. Sometimes one airport will have an ATIS and an ASOS with different phone numbers.

I'll have to double check the A/FD source.

The source I was using was the numbers listed in my AeroWeather app. But the few I tried (KAFW, KDAL) provided the ASOS/AWOS style recording, not the one with "Tell us on initial call you have information ____"

I was calling ATIS numbers back before AWOS even existed. Yes they exist. Many of the apps for mobile phones will even hotlink the number to the phone dialer for you.

Have some of the airports I use all the time on speed dial in my phone. Other than that I go to air nav. For the number.

The reason I ask the question is to handle short hops around D/FW to airports that have an ATIS and I'm using flight following.

Frequently, at the same time I get "Radar Contact" from the controller, he's asking me to verify I have the information at my destination. I'll answer "Will advise I have info in a few minutes", but that they ask makes me feel a bit rushed.

So I'm thinking that getting it in advance will aid in preparation since before getting busy aviating, I'd know which runway is in use, NOTAMS, etc.

Maybe not all airports have the ATIS (with the code) phone number listed.

The ones I know of show both sets of phone numbers.

Maybe not all airports have the ATIS (with the code) phone number listed.

This seems to be the case. For example, Airnav and A/FD have a phone number for ATIS listed for KORF, but not for KRIC. Yet both airports have ASOS phone numbers.

One of the many things I like about ForeFlight is that the phone numbers are listed right in the airport info and one tap on the iPhone gets you dialing.

My airport (KLZU) shows the ATIS code on ForeFlight.

My airport (KLZU) shows the ATIS code on ForeFlight.

Well, give me two nickels for a dime and call me rich.... so it does.

Now if the rest of them would just do that....

Yeah, what the heck is up with that? Why do only some show the code in the METAR?

Because ATIS information usually contains more than weather.

For instance, local procedures. Frequencies to contact while inbound. NOTAMs or TFRs that may or may not be in the weather briefing. Which approaches and runways are in use. Maybe that the tower is now closed!

Last edited:
Because ATIS information usually contains more than weather.

For instance, local procedures.

That doesn't really answer the question why some airports like LZU show the ATIS code and others don't.

LZU shows the code and even specifies which runway is in use - that has nothing to do with the weather observation

Sheesh Mike, yer a pilot. Turn the radio off and fly the airplane. Don't make this harder than it has to be!

:D

The class "D" airport where I live, KAGS, has an ATIS frequency that broadcasts the weather information along with the information identifier, but the phone number is for ASOS that will give you the weather information along with most of the other information on the ATIS but does NOT give you the information identifer letter.

why not just dial in ATIS and get the info? Or at least get the alpha, then Tower/Approach, "we have "___"? Is it difficult? You don't have to listen to the specifics, right?

When flying out of Bravo I usually call and get the update on ATIS and AWOS ahead of time, but will always double check via com before I call ground. Don't want to be punked like on some youtube vids.

That doesn't really answer the question why some airports like LZU show the ATIS code and others don't.

LZU shows the code and even specifies which runway is in use - that has nothing to do with the weather observation
Local procedure and preference. Even though the phone number says AWOS or ASOS, its actually including an ATIS feed.

I've heard other things on AWOS also.

If you want to know why, call the Tower and ask them.

why not just dial in ATIS and get the info? Or at least get the alpha, then Tower/Approach, "we have "___"? Is it difficult? You don't have to listen to the specifics, right?

When flying out of Bravo I usually call and get the update on ATIS and AWOS ahead of time, but will always double check via com before I call ground. Don't want to be punked like on some youtube vids.

In my original question, it was about gaining the information at my destination. Your question seems to be about your departure point.

For me, I am attempting to obtain the recorded info BEFORE I start the engine. And since this is a distant airport, I may not be successful tuning the radio to the correct frequency to hear it.

I am trying to be a bit more prepared than I have been in the past. Plus some of the ATIS-equipped places I've been too recently have lots of NOTAMS to share, so it can be 60-90 seconds or more before you hear the information letter. If I could get it on the ground, that simplifies my little world.

What I have been reminding myself to do is to set the ATIS frequency in COMM2 as part of my pre-takeoff checklist. Then as I am departing, It's just a single button push on the comm panel to hear the broadcast, but only once I'm on course and in a stable climb.

Maybe not all airports have an extra phone line to dedicate to ATIS?

Why do you want the Information letter? You're planning to check again when you arrive, right? Weather can change, as can the active runway or even the open/closed status of the field.

Got ADS B in ? Scroll to the airport in question on your display device and then "mash on it wit yo finger" (translation to Texan at no extra charge) and boom - up pops the latest weather observation. NOTAMS are there as well, already written out for you. Now I know it doesn't tell you the "letter" of the ATIS but it is essentially and for all practical purposes the same thing especially when you look at the NOTAMs. When you check on with the controller you say you have the ATIS. The controller may or may not say "verify you have information bla-bla" and you say - "affirmative information bla-bla".

Aggie, I have the same frustration when I fly as well. Normally if I have time I'll get the ATIS while on my own and NOT on flight following when I can freely switch frequencies.

When I'm on FF, I'll just tune com1 to ATIS and monitor it while staying on com2 (my enroute stuff). I have to mess with the volume sometimes if it's busy airspace, but it does beat the "request frequency change" statement that I also feel bad asking to do.

I also phone ahead of time for the ATIS information if I can while on the ground. I always do it on the way to the airport (even after checking the METAR/TAF).

I pretty much always pick up FF wherever I go (workload permitting on the controller) so I've gotten used to figuring out how to get ATIS/AWOS, etc in a pinch.

Back