O235 Restoration/Education

Notatestpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Notatestpilot
I am seeking advise on restoring this motor for my own knowledge.
I’ve removed the valve covers and sand blasted them.
What should I do next - sand blast the intake and exhaust manifolds?
Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Why not a good idea?
(I don’t intend on installing it on an aircraft.)

I think his point might be that even if you are doing it for your own knowledge that it is worth doing correctly. Otherwise, what are you learning? How to do it wrong?

I am seeking advise on restoring this motor for my own knowledge.
I’ve removed the valve covers and sand blasted them.
What should I do next - sand blast the intake and exhaust manifolds?
Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Restoring, or rebuilding to serviceable spec?

Why not a good idea? (I don’t intend on installing it on an aircraft.)
As noted above, plus if you get one grain of blasting media in the wrong place you may be so inclined to get out your BFH and drive it home vs it easily sliding together which may give you the false impression of engine work.;)

OTE="Bell206, post: 3177078, member: 31758"]As noted above, plus if you get one grain of blasting media in the wrong place you may be so inclined to get out your BFH and drive it home vs it easily sliding together which may give you the false impression of engine work.;)[/QUOTE]

Engine parts are routinely media blasted. And no, not one single grain is gonna cause a failure.

The trick is they that you clean the parts after any media exposure.

Engine parts are routinely media blasted.
Except not with sand. Plus there are some areas that are never to be blasted. Had you simply read the above OH link I posted you would have learned that.:rolleyes:
And no, not one single grain is gonna cause a failure.
Never discussed failure. But since you brought it up wrong again. Depending on the blast media grain, i.e., glass bead, it can be "devastating" to an aircraft recip engine. Section 5 in the previous link.
The trick is.... .
....to understand what you are talking about before sharing it so that you don't cause someone else to fail or cause more harm.;)

Except not with sand. Plus there are some areas that are never to be blasted. Had you simply read the above OH link I posted you would have learned that.:rolleyes:

Never discussed failure. But since you brought it up wrong again. Depending on the blast media grain, i.e., glass bead, it can be "devastating" to an aircraft recip engine. Section 5 in the previous link.

....to understand what you are talking about before sharing it so that you don't cause someone else to fail or cause more harm.;)

You better never pull carb heat then. aall that dust and grit gonna ruin your engine.

media blasting is a perfectly fine cleaning method. If you dont clean anything then it has the possibility to fail.

You better never pull carb heat then. aall that dust and grit gonna ruin your engine. media blasting is a perfectly fine cleaning method. If you dont clean anything then it has the possibility to fail.
Ha. Someone posts links to engine references that state warnings not to use sand or glass beads to media blast disassembled engines… and you equate it to pulling your carb heat on. Simply brilliant.o_O

Ha. Someone posts links to engine references that state warnings not to use sand or glass beads to media blast disassembled engines… and you equate it to pulling your carb heat on. Simply brilliant.o_O

What page is that one? I am not going to read that entire pdf to find out that you misquoted something.

There is nothing wrong with media blasting parts. Would I use black beauty on an Al part? I'm sure you think that. You're wrong, but you'd still think that. You still miss the part where I say MEDIA blast, not sand. I guess you're gonna worry about silicosis now, too?

What do you think MEDIA is? FYI: it includes sand... glass beads... walnut shells... dry ice... wheat chaff...

Paragraph 3-12:
View attachment 102665
Or...
View attachment 102666

See where is says DONT USE SAND OR METALLIC MEDIA?? Pretty abrasive stuff. You can use walnut or synthetic media that will never mar the metal.

You have no idea what media is out here, do you??

If you think ONE glass bead is gonna do all that then your tin foil hat is on to tight.

Bearings ARE DESIGNED TO EMBED PARTICLES!!! Thats why they use lead.

You must be one heck of an arm chair MX to post such illinformed posts.

Next your are gonna tell me maintenance manuals are never wrong.

How much money do you want to lose on a bet where i drop a SINGLE glass bead into my engine oil? Put your money where your hilarious cautions and notes are.

If you think ONE glass bead is gonna do all that then your tin foil hat is on to tight.
Ha. The only tin foil around here is the foil you use to smoke your Aunti Emma under glass. Regardless I'm just the messenger which you can't seem to understand again. Perhaps you should read the links above and become a bit more edjumakated on the subject?
Bearings ARE DESIGNED TO EMBED PARTICLES!!! Thats why they use lead.
:rolleyes: And your pointy?
You must be one heck of an arm chair MX to post such illinformed posts.
At least I have an A&P. You?
How much money do you want to lose on a bet where i drop a SINGLE glass bead into my engine oil? Put your money where your hilarious cautions and notes are.
Sure go ahead and report back. Just remember you still own me from the last bet you lost.o_O

You say you have an a&p yet you still think ONE glass bead will destroy and engine.

MSFS is not an authorized pt 147 school.

Making it about my cert number? you fail at basic knowledge AND debate.

Lol a single glass bead will destroy an engine. Say that slowly, out loud, ten times and see if you can hear how baseless that is.

Remember to press CTRL-P to unpause the game when you go back to being and A&P

Lol a single glass bead will destroy an engine. Say that slowly, out loud, ten times and see if you can hear how baseless that is.
Ha. Don't have to. The OEM has kindly stated the single bead reference and that it can lead to loss of warranty. Perhaps a refresher? Maybe get someone to read the link to you since its limited in pictures? Next!o_O

DISCUSSION: One of the methods used by technicians and mechanics to clean component parts
is to shot blast using glass beads. This procedure has some benefits over other cleaning
procedures, but all of the benefits pale in comparison to the devastation that glass beads cause
when they are introduced in any manner into the inner workings of an aircraft piston engine. Even
one glass bead can cause significant damage before it breaks up into glass dust.
If it is trapped in a
bearing it does its damage and then can re-circulate to do some more.

Many shops keep glass bead blast media and only use it to clean external parts. Others believe
that proper cleaning will eliminate the hazard. There are two axioms that should be posted in
every engine shop:
1. If glass beads are any where in any quantity in an aircraft repair facility, they will end up
in aircraft engines!
2. The only thing that loosens up and moves glass bead media from the nooks and crannies
of aircraft engines and into areas where they cause the most harm is hot engine oil!

Most engine overhaulers or repairers have experienced problems related to glass beads. However,
many were never aware of the root cause for their problems, and either gave up on the search for a
cause or attributed the cause to something else. This is because glass beads will defy cleaning
efforts and are difficult to identify after the damage is done. Airmotive Engineering Corp. and
Engine Components, Inc. have experienced the problems caused by glass bead blast media many
times over the years. Because of these experiences (i.e. warranty claims), our technicians have
developed highly effective evaluation techniques, and it is rare that positive evidence of glass
beads cannot be found.

Ha. Don't have to. The OEM has kindly stated the single bead reference and that it can lead to loss of warranty. Perhaps a refresher? Maybe get someone to read the link to you since its limited in pictures? Next!o_O

DISCUSSION: One of the methods used by technicians and mechanics to clean component parts
is to shot blast using glass beads. This procedure has some benefits over other cleaning
procedures, but all of the benefits pale in comparison to the devastation that glass beads cause
when they are introduced in any manner into the inner workings of an aircraft piston engine. Even
one glass bead can cause significant damage before it breaks up into glass dust.
If it is trapped in a
bearing it does its damage and then can re-circulate to do some more.

Many shops keep glass bead blast media and only use it to clean external parts. Others believe
that proper cleaning will eliminate the hazard. There are two axioms that should be posted in
every engine shop:
1. If glass beads are any where in any quantity in an aircraft repair facility, they will end up
in aircraft engines!
2. The only thing that loosens up and moves glass bead media from the nooks and crannies
of aircraft engines and into areas where they cause the most harm is hot engine oil!

Most engine overhaulers or repairers have experienced problems related to glass beads. However,
many were never aware of the root cause for their problems, and either gave up on the search for a
cause or attributed the cause to something else. This is because glass beads will defy cleaning
efforts and are difficult to identify after the damage is done. Airmotive Engineering Corp. and
Engine Components, Inc. have experienced the problems caused by glass bead blast media many
times over the years. Because of these experiences (i.e. warranty claims), our technicians have
developed highly effective evaluation techniques, and it is rare that positive evidence of glass
beads cannot be found.
Actually, hot water and Dawn will remove them. I've glass bead blasted dozens of racing motorcycle heads (4 cylinder 16 valve DOHC) with exactly zero failures due to grit.
That being said, I now have only walnut shells in the blast cabinet, and do not use glass or sand on any internal parts. Because I'm old and too lazy to clean; it can take well over an hour to clean a head.

Back