Now That You Have Your PPL...How Often Do You Fly With a CFI?

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
...I passed my PPL checkride on Monday. Still haven't taken anyone up (too busy this week with work) and was going to take my wife on a short trip this weekend, but alas, it's going to rain/thunderstorms. *sigh*

Just curious though...after you all got through the checkride, how often and for what did/do you go back to your CFI? Obviously if you are going right on to pursue some other rating - I get it. But if you're not...

I plan on getting my IFR but I'm going to wait a little bit...enjoy my PPL, do some XC's, do some informal training with one the Partners in my plane who is a retired SWA Captain...and maybe in a year or so get back into it. With my job and 3 young kids...the last 8 months working on my PPL has been enough training/studying for now.

I got the PPL about two months ago, and I haven't taken my CFI up yet. Taken a couple other pax (friends, family) along with me for fun, but my schedule and my CFI's hasn't aligned recently. I asked him if he wanted to go the other day but he had plans. Maybe here soon, before I start my instrument, we'll go somewhere fun :)

I've actually got very similar plans - currently enjoying the PPL, trying to build some XC PIC time, then it's gonna be off to Instrument training for me...

I did a number of flights without my CFI, then I bought a new plane and did the insurance req'd hours. Shortly after that started my IFR and about 50% of my flight time was with her until I got my IFR, did aout 5 hours for my commercial then stopped that, and now once every 6 months I go up with a CFI.

My CFII and I were friends before we started the PPL and so anytime I was going anywhere after my PPL I asked if he wanted to tag along. He "helped" me and my husband get down to Florida (from Ohio) last August. His experience flying over the little mountain on this side of the country was helpful. I even got to fly through a cloud with him on board.

A little advice to Andrew and Ken (re: IR training) get one of the Gleim books or whatever is your training tool and start looking at the IR material this winter (you know those cold days when you want to think about flying or read about it) I didn't and went right into IR when I got laid off. So I'm now at the point I *could* do the checkride but I can't seem to get the IR material to stick long enough to take the test. My CFI suggested reading before starting and I didn't listen.

I got my certificate 40 years ago and fly with a CFI 4-5 times a year.

Besides my IR training, I fly with another CFI once a month.

Are we talking for more training ,or just for a ride to lunch? Try to fly for instruction and flying tips about every three months.

im taking some time off to build some time towards my commercial license so ill probably be seeing him in a few months

A little advice to Andrew and Ken (re: IR training) get one of the Gleim books or whatever is your training tool and start looking at the IR material this winter (you know those cold days when you want to think about flying or read about it) I didn't and went right into IR when I got laid off. So I'm now at the point I *could* do the checkride but I can't seem to get the IR material to stick long enough to take the test. My CFI suggested reading before starting and I didn't listen.

Yeah, I've also been told to hit the books as quickly as possible and intend to get the books on order here shortly - or I suppose I could just steal VanDy's when he starts on his! :D

About every two years.

Hehe, same here. He usually tells me I have to take him for some reason. Then we always end up doing all the things he wants to do. He's real conceited too, because he always wants to autograph my logbook after...

Last edited:
I've found almost everyone states after an IPC or flight review with me where we had to correct some things that they're going to fly with me on a regular schedule to prevent that in the future. So far, pretty much none of them have. I don't hear from them until the regulations say they need me.

As I typically don't get the required approaches, tracking and holds needed in a 6 month period I find the best way to stay IR current is to do an IPC with my CFII. Plus, our club requires the equivalent of an FAA flight review every year. So, I see my CFII a few times a year.

Almost immediately after getting my PPL I flew 11 hrs xcountry one way to California,flew to Catalina Island and then back to KS for another 10 hrs the following month I flew to Miami, FL also about 13 hrs each way. So I had 50 hrs or so of real solo xcountry flying within a few months. I flew with other aviators some with much more time than myself but my next flight with a CFI was 2 years later for BFR. Then again 2 years later. Then the next time around I did the wings and then I bought the Comanche and got a check out in hi performance complex. Few years later I got a check out in a 182 Katmai conversion because I was going to fly it cross country from East Coast to Utah/Nevada for a friend. So I probably average flying with a CFI about every 2 years.

I've used CFIs for IFR safety pilot a lot. It's just easy to schedule, and they know what's going on.

They are also the only people I can get to come to the field early on days I fly before work. I usually try to get them to sitdown for an effective debrief afterwards (which I offer to pay for) so there is a meaningful discussion. If you don't do that it may become speed speech in the invisible time between flights.

I fly with a CFI everytime I am getting checked out in a new plane or familiarizing myself with a plane I have not flown in a while( like going from a 172- over 100 hours in- to a 152- like around 5 hours.). Also, if I'm planning on flying a route that is through complex airspce or such, I'll take a CFI along.

When I first got my PPL I flew with a CFI about 1 time every 2 months. Now that I'm a more experienced pilot it is not as frequent but I should make a point to fly with one more often. Never hurts to hear what I'm doing right and wrong!

Reasons I have flown with CFIs:

-IFR Safety pilot previously mentioned
-Aircraft type transitions (required by FBO for rental, sometimes insurance and good for safety)
-Unusual attitude recovery, spin recovery in Decathlon
-Tailwheel endorsment
-High Power Endorsement
-Complex Endorsement

Every time I fly with my family. Of course, I'm married to my favorite CFI.

Like Jesse, I find that most pilots like to talk about a continuous self-improvement program, but few do anything about it. If you use 135 as an example, you should fly with a CFI at least every 6 months.

I've been bad about it myself now that I'm not flying as regularly. I went to SimCom this month and my intent is to do some combination of home sim/flying work going forward.

You would think most pilots would keep some kind of continuing relationship with their "master" or "mentor" so to speak?

Only for checkouts (when I was renting from different schools), the Lancair transition and BFR's.

My flying club requires a CFI checkout every six months. But, I tend to schedule 2-3 sessions each time since I want to ensure proficiency at the commercial PTS level from the right seat and the checkouts are usually the only times I fly from the right seat anyways. I use the checkouts to complete WINGS credits so I advance my BFR due date each time.

I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP.

My next couple of flights will be with different CFI's as I get checked out at the places I will be renting from.

Apart from that I want to build a little time on my own, but for sure I will fly on a regular basis with at least 2 of my instructors as we have become good friends.

I also figured I would grab one of them every 90 days to keep my night currency up.

I've been bad about it myself now that I'm not flying as regularly. I went to SimCom this month and my intent is to do some combination of home sim/flying work going forward.

Find an excuse to visit Minnesota...I'll fly with you!

Jonesy - I lived in Apple Valley for a few years...2005-2007. I loved the Twin Cities. My boss lives up there. If I ever get that way...I'll look you up!!

I got my ticket in July of 2012. So far I've done it "as needed". I took a CFI along to practice actual soft-field T/O & landings, and to learn the 182. I'll do it again in the next week or so to finish my HP endorsement. After that... I'll probably start work on mt IR before long.

Last edited:
Often, but it is informal (still educational though) as it is usually a short ride in a school or charter plane with the boss who happens to be a CFI. Only very rarely has it been logged as dual however.

Last done about a week or so ago.

I got my ticket in July of 1012. So far I've done it "as needed". I took a CFI along to practice actual soft-field T/O & landings, and to learn the 182. I'll do it again in the next week or so to finish my HP endorsement. After that... I'll probably start work on mt IR before long.

Wow, you've been around a while!:D

One of my friends owns a plane and is also a cfi. I used to fly with him and rent his plane alot, so I used to fly with a cfi a lot. Lately though, just flight reviews.

After getting my PPL I had the CFI fly me home. I rode in the passenger seat and was a total passenger. It was the most enjoyable flight I have ever made, and the only one as passenger.

Since then all flights have been check rides, addons, flight reviews, etc.

I am working the FAA WINGS program and like to get a phase done in 12 to 18 months. I am a bit behind at the moment. When the airplane gets out of maintenance, next phase.

First two years after getting the Private I had zero dual time up until the BFR.
Next two years after that about 80 hrs - IR, CP, some RTC and Glider dual, shiny bronze, silver and golden WINGs

Wow, you've been around a while!:D
Yes. Your certificate has pictures of Orville and Wilbur on it, mine has Archimedes and Eilmer of Malmesbury. It's printed on papyrus, as are my sectionals.

:D

Back