November

tangopapa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
tangopapa
This may not be worthy of its own thread, but last night when talking to approach, the controller said "November" before my call sign.

I just thought it was strange.

Is it? Or is that not as uncommon as I think?

Keep in mind I'm new so don't have a lot of experience to draw from (Only about 34 hours so far), but I hadn't heard it before and it seems very unnecessary. Maybe the guy was new at the job or maybe some controllers just say it?

Happens quite a lot when they don't know/forget/didn't write down the type of aircraft.

Generally controllers and pilots will substitute 'November' for the aircraft manufacturer or model. For example 'Cessna 12345' or 'Cherokee 12345'. In lieu of this, November is used.

OK, that makes sense... thanks for answering that for me.

AIM 4-2-4(a)(3).

Bob Gardner

I fly a Sky Arrow from time to time, and the local controllers have no clue what that is. They also don't seem to like to use "Light Sport," so they use "November" instead. We've trained the local tower, but other than that, it's pretty much always "November" in that plane.

Yep and they can even abbreviate it. For example, for a Cessna with registration N12345, they can say Cessna 12345, November 12345, Cessna 345, or November 345.

In the same(ish) vein: When did pilots start using cutsie names for their aircraft? I followed a guy into Danbury the other day who kept calling himself BlueSky XXXXF. He was in C-150.

In the same(ish) vein: When did pilots start using cutsie names for their aircraft? I followed a guy into Danbury the other day who kept calling himself BlueSky XXXXF. He was in C-150.

Maybe it's a new economy microairline?? :dunno:

My callsign 2451N (C172-R) gets shortened to "November 51 November" quite a lot, and occasionally entered in Flightaware that way.

I dunno, it's probably the same percentage of people who sub "Strawberry" for "Sierra" and so on, just becoming even more cutesy than before.

I dunno, it's probably the same percentage of people who sub "Strawberry" for "Sierra" and so on, just becoming even more cutesy than before.

Were I a controller and someone started with that crap, they would go to the back of the queue when they request something. If VFR, they'd probably get a "squawk 1200" or "unknown aircraft calling, remain clear airspace" from me. If IFR, I'd be, uh...difficult.

It could be an approved name for an organization. One of the discount airlines used "Critter" for a while.

At the FBO I just got checked out in, they got a name approved. But when people enter the really busy pattern and use that instead of, say, "Skyhawk" or "Diamond," it gives me no idea what to look for or what to expect in terms of speed. I just stick with "Skyhawk" and the N-number.

I know that down in ATL (tower and ground, I think, not sure about approach), they use Dixie instead of Delta to avoid confusion with Delta Airlines.

Edit: make that Delta Air Lines

Last edited:
It could be an approved name for an organization. One of the discount airlines used "Critter" for a while.

I think I'll file a DBA as an airline, so I can start doing that.
I could be "DOA Airlines" and call my planes "Coffin 120SF" or "Hearse 27V"

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Just call yourself "Life-flight" and you'll get preferred handling--for a while, anyway.

I think I'll file a DBA as an airline, so I can start doing that.
I could be "DOA Airlines" and call my planes "Coffin 120SF" or "Hearse 27V"

Anyone have any other suggestions?

At the FBO I just got checked out in, they got a name approved. But when people enter the really busy pattern and use that instead of, say, "Skyhawk" or "Diamond," it gives me no idea what to look for or what to expect in terms of speed. I just stick with "Skyhawk" and the N-number.

SkyVenture?

Last edited:
You're not -- it's simply free advertizing for them. I fly with them as well, slowly working on my instrument at KHEF.

You're not -- it's simply free advertizing for them. I fly with them as well, slowly working on my instrument at KHEF.

Yeah, the instructor I flew with seemed to think it was a pride thing for the owners or big cheeses or whoever. I'm flying at JYO for now, but I might make it down to HEF at some point. The first GA flights I ever took were actually at Dulles Aviation out of Manssas.

When I moved here back in 2006 I started off at Dulles, then moved over to Manassas Aviation. When they folded, I wasn't really flying as I was focusing my time and money on my RV-10. Back in Aug, in prep for getting the RV-10 in the air, I got current again at Aviation Adventures vs Dulles mainly because I also decided to use my GI Bill for my Instrument Rating and they're the only VA approved 141 school in the area.

My callsign 2451N (C172-R) gets shortened to "November 51 November" quite a lot, and occasionally entered in Flightaware that way.

Fly that up here and you won't. At least not when the same controller is working our club's Arrow. 9351N :D

Back