Not Receiving ADS-B radar

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Anyone else having a problem recently not receiving any weather radar data while flying?

I’m using a Stratus 2S with ForeFlight. I just flew out to Texas and back this weekend and noticed that during the entire trip I had no radar data on any of my devices. ADS-B traffic and METAR data working fine though.

I thought maybe my Stratus was going bad so o pulled out my older backup unit and experience the same thing.

Never any issues like that with installed certified unit in the past 3+ years.

They updated FF and now you have to manually turn off internet weather and turn on ADBS weather in the airplane. It used to switch automatically.

They updated FF and now you have to manually turn off internet weather and turn on ADBS weather in the airplane. It used to switch automatically.

Thanks!

Next question….why on earth did they do that?

Garmin pilot won't automatically switch either. I have requested several times that they implement this but I believe those requests have gone into the circular file. Well, at least they finally fixed the Bluetooth connectivity issue.

How does one do that?

This is an error in ForeFlight. The app is supposed to switch automatically. This is intended to be fixed in an update. Until then, switch it yourself manually.

This is what I was told by a ForeFlight Support Tech when I opened a ticket on this issue. I take them at their word and do expect this to be resolved. I just received a new app update today but have not tested it out in the air yet. Could be it was just fixed and I don't know it yet? Hopefully.

How do you do that ?

BTW. I see FFlight has updated the app and deleted the low tilt radar, but has “enhanced” sources for their remaining weather mapping.

What are these numbers and arrows in the new weather / radar mapping? 250 = ?

6B8C7478-D5DC-4A72-9416-258EE44CD90A.jpeg

Last edited:
I noticed a bunch of gray circles with arrows this morning when looking at rain. What are those for? There were a lot of them cluddering up the screen.

I noticed a bunch of gray circles with arrows this morning when looking at rain. What are those for? There were a lot of them cluddering up the screen.
Arrows = direction of cell movement
Numbers = echo (cloud) tops (in hundreds)

Didn't they used to show direction vectors and 3 dots indicating 20 minutes per dot?
Yes, they used to... and I prefer those trend vectors. As ForeFlight indicates in the release notes "This new source brings more reliability and stability, and we will be working to bring additional functionality in the coming months. Stay tuned for future updates"
... hopefully, the trend vector will return along with further steps forward.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Next question….why on earth did they do that?

They now support multiple sources - IE, if you have the right gear, you can choose between XM and FIS-B radar if you have both available.

But, I think they maybe fixed this already? I haven't noticed needing to switch recently.

It's a new feature so they can justify increasing the price.

Not surprising since FF is now owned by Boeing.

:rolleyes: Please. There has been ONE price increase in the last decade or so, and only really two ever. And the price of a year of the Pro subscription is still cheaper than what I paid for PAPER CHARTS on my last big trip before ForeFlight.

They now support multiple sources - IE, if you have the right gear, you can choose between XM and FIS-B radar if you have both available.

But, I think they maybe fixed this already? I haven't noticed needing to switch recently.

:rolleyes: Please. There has been ONE price increase in the last decade or so, and only really two ever. And the price of a year of the Pro subscription is still cheaper than what I paid for PAPER CHARTS on my last big trip before ForeFlight.

And double the price of others if you just want charts/georeference and not all the bloatcrap.

This is an error in ForeFlight. The app is supposed to switch automatically. This is intended to be fixed in an update. Until then, switch it yourself manually.

This is what I was told by a ForeFlight Support Tech when I opened a ticket on this issue. I take them at their word and do expect this to be resolved. I just received a new app update today but have not tested it out in the air yet. Could be it was just fixed and I don't know it yet? Hopefully.

Except that later put in the what's new as a feature. :D

And double the price of others if you just want charts/georeference and not all the bloatcrap.
It works well enough for me. As you don't use it, it's obvious you don't know what you are discussing.

It works well enough for me. As you don't use it, it's obvious you don't know what you are discussing.

I did use ForeFlight for years and I do know what I'm discussing. FF works pretty well. But,...

1) FF began adding features which I cannot use on my current iPad. I'd have to buy a new device to support these features I don't want but am being charged for with FF's price increase.
2) i-junk is the only platform FF will support and the company has refused to release even a stripped-down version for android. iPad minis do not have a bright enough screen for my cockpit.
3) iPads also are prone to overheating unless cooling is added (another expense). Despite precautions and avoiding bright sunlight, I had a couple of occurrences of shutdowns due to overheating in flight.
4) FF customer service has gone to crap in the last couple of years. They've stopped listening and gone to a "we know what's best for you" attitude, an attitude that I note began not long after the Boeing acquistion (and is typical Boeing BS).​

By the time I bought a new iPad mini, paid for add-on cooling, and paid FF's higher price, I'd be into it for somewhere around $1500 or more, and I'd still have a device that was too dim to see easily.

So instead I switched to iFly. It'll run on any platform, has all the features I need, and is more friendly to use in flight. The flight briefings aren't quite as easy to read, but other than that it will do all that's necessary, PLUS the customer support listens and is responsive.

BTW. I see FFlight has updated the app and deleted the low tilt radar, but has “enhanced” sources for their remaining weather mapping.
They haven't come out and said it yet, but I assume they switched to MRMS.

I did use ForeFlight for years and I do know what I'm discussing. FF works pretty well. But,...

1) FF began adding features which I cannot use on my current iPad. I'd have to buy a new device to support these features I don't want but am being charged for with FF's price increase.
2) i-junk is the only platform FF will support and the company has refused to release even a stripped-down version for android. iPad minis do not have a bright enough screen for my cockpit.
3) iPads also are prone to overheating unless cooling is added (another expense). Despite precautions and avoiding bright sunlight, I had a couple of occurrences of shutdowns due to overheating in flight.
4) FF customer service has gone to crap in the last couple of years. They've stopped listening and gone to a "we know what's best for you" attitude, an attitude that I note began not long after the Boeing acquistion (and is typical Boeing BS).​

By the time I bought a new iPad mini, paid for add-on cooling, and paid FF's higher price, I'd be into it for somewhere around $1500 or more, and I'd still have a device that was too dim to see easily.

So instead I switched to iFly. It'll run on any platform, has all the features I need, and is more friendly to use in flight. The flight briefings aren't quite as easy to read, but other than that it will do all that's necessary, PLUS the customer support listens and is responsive.
My reply was to someone else who can't contribute anything useful to the conversation. But you at least know the product, as you mention, so your response does contribute to the discussion.

How dare you besmirch ForeFlight!!

I've used FF, GP, Avare, and iFly. I only continue to use iFly.

And the price of a year of the Pro subscription is still cheaper than what I paid for PAPER CHARTS on my last big trip before ForeFlight.

I was on the Pro subscription at $150/yr for 14-15 years and just this year they forced me onto the Pro Plus plan for $240/yr if I wanted yo keep georeferenced plates. Is there still a $150 Pro one?

Back