Not good (FL crash)

SixPapaCharlie;1514 308 said:
This g uy w as obviously out for blood.
I mean he was in an airplane. There is a spinning blade on it.
It is a weapon and nothing else

He was probably on his way to kill a lot of people with his propeller but when the engine died, he just pulled this kamakazi move to try and at least get someone.

Exactly, you can tell by the shorts he and his passenger are wearing except the spinning blade part. ;)

Accident like you said but one that was avoidable by anyone with eyes and a conscious If I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Do a search on those and see how much the employers paid on those cases. Both the airlines and DOD.

Since said pilot was flying on his own free will, I'm assuming no employer is going to pay the family to keep it out of court. If he can settle without the courts getting involved, all the better.

And I'm not in the camp that says he made a bad decision, I'm just saying what could come from it. I was not in the plane and had his level of know leg at the moment.

Of course there were huge payouts. There will almost positively be a huge civil suit in this case as well.

But that is just my point: there are several here that have already declared the pilot guilty manslaughter (a criminal offense) which is a very different animal (and without more details, a bit extreme IMO).

Is it manslaughter if the pilot ran it out of gas?

Pilot had someone make a statement for him: He thought the beach was deserted and never saw them, and is extremely sorry.

3 dead if you count the dead man's wife/girlfriend that had a heart attack on scene.

I have a question and maybe someone else is thinking the same thing.

How did he not see people walking on a beach?

Even if he was only at 1000 ft that is 1.5 miles glide, like 45 seconds.

At my airport on the north runway terminates on Tampa Bay. At the end of the runway is usually dolphins feeding, I can see them plain as day. 8 miles to the west are some of the best beaches in the world. I travel the coastline to avoid summer bumpy weather 3x per week. The beach is usually my best option as I fly a few miles offshore to get cooler more stable air. When I am playing my " where can I land if this spinner thing stops" my options are almost always the beach. I can always see people.

Now I get that I'm not in an emergency situation but we are talking about two people walking on a WHITE sand beach. Before I get blasted about the possibilities I would like to hear the radio calls and the track of the flight.

I really find it hard to believe that they didn't see them and just locked into landing on sand instead of just moving 20 feet to the left.

I've been wrong before (twice today and counting) but I have a ton of experience with just this type of flying.

Hope this guy has a good lawyer.

This just in - insurance companies back the "Easy Button" in effort to curb liability. This new revolutionary system is designed to blow up single engine aircraft in the event of losing thrust, tearing the airplane and it components into bits that are harmless as they rain from the sky. "Easy Button" manufacturer Saving People from GA believes that pilots and aircraft owners may resist signing a complete release of liability should they fly the new system so to coerce acceptance will be working with all big name insurers.

Last edited:
Brian,
Cirrus just used the parachute. Much more affective. Also, a lot less drama

I have a question and maybe someone else is thinking the same thing.

At my airport on the north runway terminates on Tampa Bay. At the end of the runway is usually dolphins feeding, I can see them plain as day. 8 miles to the west are some of the best beaches in the world. I travel the coastline to avoid summer bumpy weather 3x per week. The beach is usually my best option as I fly a few miles offshore to get cooler more stable air. When I am playing my " where can I land if this spinner thing stops" my options are almost always the beach. I can always see people.

Now I get that I'm not in an emergency situation but we are talking about two people walking on a WHITE sand beach. Before I get blasted about the possibilities I would like to hear the radio calls and the track of the flight.

I really find it hard to believe that they didn't see them and just locked into landing on sand instead of just moving 20 feet to the left.

I've been wrong before (twice today and counting) but I have a ton of experience with just this type of flying.

Hope this guy has a good lawyer.

Late to the thread, reading from the bottom up. But the last guy who did this had a windscreen full of oil.

Brian,
Cirrus just used the parachute. Much more affective. Also, a lot less drama

How is that going to save folks from being smashed on the ground?

"Sleepy beach goer smashed by airplane falling via parachute"

What if Sully had killed someone in a boat on the Hudson? What is the general feelings about that?

People have hit construction equipment, snowplows, barricades and the 'blinking X' before.

The dents are in the leading edge of the left outboard wing, I bet dad and daughter were either in the surf or at the surfline. I have tried to locate small boats from a plane before, they are hard enough to see if you have three people looking for them.

Can't imagine how ****ty that guy must feel.

You have some link to that information? :dunno:

There was report of a women having cardiac issues, no 3rd death, probably the wife having anxiety attack, watching your husband and daughter get killed will do that. I can't imagine what she is going thru

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How is that going to save folks from being smashed on the ground?

"Sleepy beach goer smashed by airplane falling via parachute"

There's no assurance that descending by chute can't kill a bystander.

But if you compare the threat you pose, landing vertically on a 40 foot patch at 20 mph, vs sweeping hundreds of feet at 50 mph while landing horizontally, I think it is pretty clear that the chute can help save lives for bystanders, not just passengers and pilot.

Pilot speaks thru his pastor

http://www.heraldtribune.com/articl...nice-crash-that-killed-2-I-didn-t-see-anyone-

The pilot involved in a crash at Caspersen Beach that killed a vacationing father and his young daughter offered his first public account of what happened in the Sunday tragedy, saying the single-engine plane had died, was losing altitude fast and landed on what he thought was a deserted stretch of beach.

“The plane hit the water to rest with the nose down at the water’s edge,” pilot Karl Kokomoor said in a statement. “It was only after I landed and we exited the plane did I realize that there were people on the beach. I never saw them. I am deeply, deeply sorry.”
Same article:

On Monday, Sarasota County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Wendy Rose said reports that an adult woman had been treated for cardiac arrest after witnessing the accident were incorrect. Ommy Irizarry’s mother was treated and released from Venice Regional Bayfront Health for another medical issue.
With that said, photos of the accident airplane appear to show impact damage near the left wingtip, and no other impact damage on wing/surface areas.

140727-sarasota-sherriff-plane04-1.jpg

53d560e9a553b.image.jpg

BtoYLtrIEAEawbV.jpg
BtoYLtrIEAEawbV.jpg
BtmTbrmIAAApikK.jpg

BtmTbrmIAAApikK.jpg
This picture here appears to show a medical or law enforcement helicopter in the background and the "scene" of the deceased being a ways behind the final-stop of the aircraft.

BtoYLtrIEAEawbV.jpg
BtoYLtrIEAEawbV.jpg

Last edited:
What if Sully had killed someone in a boat on the Hudson? What is the general feelings about that?

You can't speak bad in any form about sully, he is a god!!!!:wink2::wink2:

Sully is a hero because no one died. Just one fatality would've sullied his name.

Sully is a hero because no one died. Just one fatality would've sullied his name.

Sully is not a hero, he is a great pilot, but a hero is someone who risks their life to help another, Sully was just saving his life, and a few hundred others came along for the ride.

Other than the caption in that article, I can find no news story that says the wife died from a heart attack or anyone else for that matter related to that incident.

News reporting came out to correct the bad info that wife/anyone else died associated to that accident.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20140729/BREAKING/140729645/0/FRONTPAGE

On Monday, Sarasota County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Wendy Rose said reports that an adult woman had been treated for cardiac arrest after witnessing the accident were incorrect. Ommy Irizarry's mother was treated and released from Venice Regional Bayfront Health for another medical issue.

Sully is not a hero, he is a great pilot, but a hero is someone who risks their life to help another, Sully was just saving his life, and a few hundred others came along for the ride.

I didn't know you were in charge of the Hero Award commitee. Because other folks think pretty highly of him.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...ceives-harvard-foundation-humanitarian-award/

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/events/2010/100902CordovaSullenberger.html

http://blog.nasm.si.edu/aviation/th...museums-trophy-award-for-current-achievement/

THREAD DRIFT ALERT: This is not a Sully thread, it is the Florida Sarasota area beach Piper crash thread

Last edited:
I didn't know you were in charge of the Hero Award commitee. Because other folks think pretty highly of him.
I'm not and never said I was, I just think some words have lost their meaning by being toss around like confetti.
Getting back on topic, from another post
Sully is a hero because no one died.
So the difference is this guy was unlucky to pick a beach with people on it which he didn't see. TBFTGOGGI

I'm not and never said I was, I just think some words have lost their meaning by being toss around like confetti.
Getting back on topic, from another post

So the difference is this guy was unlucky to pick a beach with people on it which he didn't see. TBFTGOGGI

If one person on that plane or in the river died the press would not have made sully a 'hero.' Obviously you want to be the world's hero committee unfortunately the press gets to chose who is a hero. This guy is a loser for not seeing the people on the beach and a murderer if he ran it out of gas

If one person on that plane or in the river died the press would not have made sully a 'hero.' Obviously you want to be the world's hero committee unfortunately the press gets to chose who is a hero. This guy is a loser for not seeing the people on the beach and a murderer if he ran it out of gas

Wow we have the chairman of the NTSB, Sarasota District Attorney, and an expert in human optics and vision on this thead, all one person.

Wow we have the chairman of the NTSB, Sarasota District Attorney, and an expert in human optics and vision on this thead, all one person.

Fly your plane into something or someone and you are a loser. Do you also make excuses for pilots that CFIT into the ground? The whole mighty investigation appeal to authority bit isfor chumps, vfr day landed and hit two people, we don't need a CVR or an 'authority' to tell us what a failure the pilot is.

Fly your plane into something or someone and you are a loser. Do you also make excuses for pilots that CFIT into the ground? The whole mighty investigation appeal to authority bit isfor chumps, vfr day landed and hit two people, we don't need a CVR or an 'authority' to tell us what a failure the pilot is.

You are right. I just don't see why he didn't do his VFR-day landing on a approved airport runway.

:rolleyes2:

Based on your definition of Hero/not Hero

If one person on that plane or in the river died the press would not have made sully a 'hero.'

clearly Al Haynes is not a hero, correct ? Not one, or two dead. 112 dead.

http://www.avweb.com/news/profiles/182969-1.html?redirected=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_C._Haynes

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Everyone who read this thread is now dumber than they were before :rolleyes:.

Back