Not Aviation - Amazon rant

If you don't like Amazon, or Walmart or any of the others, then don't use them.

I like Amazon and the service I've received. I use them a lot. 141 orders so far in 2021. Their Prime delivery has been faster, and more reliable, than USPS, UPS, or FedEx. Their return policy is more convenient than returns to local brick and mortar stores. The rate of missed delivery promises has been low. I once received a damage item (1 in a set of 6 ceramic salsa dishes) and was quickly refunded for the broken dish. I've never received a new item that appeared to have been used.

They are hiring anyone who can pass a drug test with a starting wage of at least $15/hr, health insurance, and 401k with matching. They have systems in place for transfers and job progression if you want to advance within the organization. There isn't even an interview, just a drug test. I hear it's often boring, moderately physical work in a warehouse environment. Sounds similar to the 2-1/2 years I spent working in a factory in 1984 to pay for flight training. Today, it generates organized protests.

I have started using the Capital One shopping plugin on my desktop. When you search for stuff on Amazon, Best buy, Walmart... it gives you the price comparison on all the other sites.
I use that, too. Often gives a result on Ebay so I usually stick with the faster Amazon delivery unless the price difference is large.

@Larry in TN

It so far has never suggested eBay for me. Probably 99% of what I order online, it does not matter if I get it in a day or a week. So I go with whatever is cheapest almost every time.

Tim

If concerned about Amazon price fluctuations, use camelcamelcamel.com.

It so far has never suggested eBay for me. Probably 99% of what I order online, it does not matter if I get it in a day or a week. So I go with whatever is cheapest almost every time.
What retailer(s) does it suggest? I almost always get a link to an Ebay auction from it. I can't remember ever getting anything else.

Last week, it suggested Walmart for the lipton tea and yum yum sauce I was looking to order. Saved a couple bucks.
Over the weekend, it suggested BestBuy for the compact fridge we bought. saved close to hundred.

Tim

Back