Nose Gear Failure

Judging by the third window I'd say that was a mid to late 50's model Bonanza..

I'd say he did a great job on that prop stop, almost horizontal.

Well done.

This is one of the few times that the post-crash statement "eh, that will buff right out" might actually be true. Lower cowling and fix the nose gear. Might be cheaper than a typical annual!

This is one of the few times that the post-crash statement "eh, that will buff right out" might actually be true. Lower cowling and fix the nose gear. Might be cheaper than a typical annual!

Gotta be more than that.

The nose gear doors were open. They are almost certainly trashed, probably along with the door actuators and hinges. At a minimum.

It doesn't look like the prop struck, but if it did, the engine needs to be torn down.

Oh.....what's ten grand here.....and ten grand there......:D

this is typically a rod end failure.....in the nose wheel gear linkage....a $10 part. :yikes:

Last edited:
The blade on the right hit the pavement as the nose dropped. I'd have the engine checked.

Ryan

Gotta be more than that.

The nose gear doors were open. They are almost certainly trashed, probably along with the door actuators and hinges. At a minimum.

It doesn't look like the prop struck, but if it did, the engine needs to be torn down.

Does it have to be torn down even though there was no sudden stoppage?

The blade on the right hit the pavement as the nose dropped. I'd have the engine checked.

Ryan

Looked that way to me, too. But as they say in the NFL, no conclusive video evidence. A simple inspection of the blade will tell if it touched other than air.

That is, as they say, is the insurance company's problem.

That plane makes for a poor a tail dragger..

Nicely done! At first I thought he was doing a go-around then I realized it was one of the rescue vehicles heading out to the runway.

Does it have to be torn down even though there was no sudden stoppage?

I don't know if it "has" to, but a bent crank is a real good way to spin a bearing and make new ventilation ports in the crankcase.

And you can bend a crank with your bare hands. It's not as hard as you might hope.

And you can bend a crank with your bare hands. It's not as hard as you might hope.

Have you actually held a crank from a TCM 470 or 520 before? :rolleyes:

If you can bend one of these cranks with your bare hands I would sure like to see a demonstration of this. :rolleyes:

Have you actually held a crank from a TCM 470 or 520 before? :rolleyes:

If you can bend one of these cranks with your bare hands I would sure like to see a demonstration of this. :rolleyes:

Nope. But I've sure bent -- and straightened -- big block V8 cranks.

Have you ever measured out-of-round on a crank?

It only takes a few thousandths to spin a bearing, and it's easily demonstrated and measured on main bearings with a pair of V-blocks and a dial indicator.

You're also forgetting that three foot lever airplanes have in front.

Last edited:
Have you ever measured out-of-round on a crank?

Yep, many times.

You're also forgetting that three foot lever airplanes have in front.

No, I'm not "forgetting anything".

But back to you claiming you can bend a 470 or 520 crank with your bare hands.....:rolleyes2:

Of course one could mount the crank in a vise, attach a lever to the end of the crank and place his body weight against it and attempt to do this....but...:rolleyes:

Nope. But I've sure bent -- and straightened -- big block V8 cranks.

Straightened, with your bare hands as well? :rolleyes:

So back to my original question, have you ever physically held a TCM crankshaft?

I'm sure the new owner of his engine and propeller (namely his insurance company) appreciate his effort and skill.

Last edited:
But back to you claiming you can bend a 470 or 520 crank with your bare hands.....:rolleyes2:

I'm well aware that truth is not important to you, but I absolutely did not say I could bend THAT PARTICULAR crank with my bare hands.

Do not misquote. I insist.

So back to my original question, have you ever physically held a TCM crankshaft?

Well, if you actually read the response you're attempting to take apart, you would see that your question was answered, directly, positively and unambiguously.

If the prop has to be removed for repairs it is a prop strike.

But on a Continental there is no AD requiring any action to be taken.

Would it be prudent? Probably, but I wouldn't be too worried about this particular engine judging by watching the video. :)

I'm well aware that truth is not important to you, but I absolutely did not say I could bend THAT PARTICULAR crank with my bare hands.

Do not misquote. I insist.

No misquotes here.

Well, if you actually read the response you're attempting to take apart, you would see that your question was answered, directly, positively and unambiguously.

:rolleyes2: :rofl::rofl:

Threads are falling apart awfully quickly recently. It used to take at least 6 pages before.

But on a Continental there is no AD requiring any action to be taken.

Would it be prudent? Probably, but I wouldn't be too worried about this particular engine judging by watching the video. :)

Would your insurance company reinsure the plane against engine failure? Not likely.

You also need to check the FAA's definition of "prop strike". It covers a lot of territory.

Great job handling the plane. My favorite part was the fireman walking up and shaking the pilot's hand. Can't ask for a better ending than that.

This one came up on beechtalk... Good job by the pilot..

I got a little excited on this one as the early 35s have retractable boarding steps. The cable that retracts the step is attached to the nose gear and if it jams there is supposed to be a break away linkage that allows the gear to drop even if the step does not. Looks like this was not the case this time. (I'm interested as my step still retracts ..)

The owner posted pics of the rod that controls the nose gear and it basically broke in half. Looks like the rod has been bent back and forth and finally broke. Sounds like there was an SB to replace the rod back in the 50s or there about. Book open on what caused the rod to break.

Great job handling the plane. My favorite part was the fireman walking up and shaking the pilot's hand. Can't ask for a better ending than that.

The handful of times I have declared an emergency I made sure to talk to the fire/rescue people after landing and thank them for their job.

Back